Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:49 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Discussion
The build of my 24 inch delta Started in 05 updated 2010

This is a old plane but never really started a build thead per say on it
Thread was started when i first built it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387983
But not many pictures, anyways so here it is. this plane has changed size and motors from driffrent times along with servos and rx's and whatever but shes always dun me good.

Started off 24x24 (counting the 2inch elevon's) and now she is 24x18 (Not counting the elevon's) cause after reading many threads It don't seem like your supposed to add those in the size of it.. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyhow I am going to post pictures of when was first building it. and it finished and when I just recently cut her down to the size she is at now.

I am just going to post about the current set up and the recent change I am doing. seems like shes always been right around 14 ounces w/o batery now matter what I do.

No idea where the picture went but after the spar dryed I placed the other half ( other sheet blue foam on top of the one with the spar and glued them together. Forgot for years what I used but seems to be Gorilla glue for when i cut it down this past month thats what it looked like. either that or that Elmers wood glue not 100% sure.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; Jan 20, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
So last week I cut it down here are the pictures, You can see in these pictures it is two pieces of blue foam glued together. I did have a nice round leading edge when i put her back together this time i was having trouble cutting the packing tape back enough to round the edge so I just put carbon fiber rods 1/8x1/8th on the leading edge and wrapped it in the purple packing tape. gives sorta round leading edge, I might go back and round it right one day.

Don't ask why no pictures with it cut before added packing tape. the rods are just sitting under the tape Did not glue them so If someone wants to see I can peel it back and take a picture of it.

Current set up is two park zone cheapo ( was in a typoon) servos with a electron 6 rx, a park zone 25Amp esc( also from typhoon) and a e flite 480 motor.

I got 49MPH out of it in level flight with a 9x6 prop

I got 48MPH out of it in reg flying trying not to dive it with a 8x4 platic prop not APC.

Got 48mph from a APC7x5 prop spinning at 10,900 9.4amps, 111watts the min voltage drop for battery was 11.6 that was after two short flights.

I got a newer setup going in her and hope to hit about 350 watts at around 90MPH... we will see. I will post in the next box whats changing .

Video with 480 motor
Flying delta with park 480 motor 4 cell 1100 A123's (1 min 57 sec)
Last edited by epoweredrc; Jan 21, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Okay so lastnight I took out the old parkzone servos, park zone esc, the motor, everythig out the plane, just leaving the velcro for the battery, the velcro battery strap, couple cable ties that holds the rx in place and well I weigh it came out to be 7.38 w.o nothing. this is after i cut the new slots for the HS-65's I am installing into it. I will just cover over the old holes.

The new servos will sit flush with the airplane and I will put packing tape over them to completly burry/hide them.

Today I plan to make new control rods ( old ones to long) I moved the servos to center and back just a tiny bit

I have to move the control horns in on the elevons also today.

Thinking about adding a 1/8 X 1/8 Carbon rod to the bottom middle of the plane also. maybe end up adding three just to be safe, Do not want flexing in flight with the new set up.

Object: To see how fast this piece of foam will go.

Reserved. For the newest set up and pictures.
Last edited by epoweredrc; Jan 21, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Okay looks like need another spot to post more info. I made the new elevons today, and used balsa, covered with packing tape.

There hevier then the foam but I feel better about balsa. The control rods are just going to be regular rods with Z bend and the keepers like everyone else on the servo end.9check pictures)

My power set up hopefully be here monday and can figure out how to mount the motor. testing can then start.

As I was redoing the Elevons today i had forgot since the build the back of the plane does have a 1/8 by 3/8th wood spare cross ways on trailing edge so it has a brace I forgot all about.
Last edited by epoweredrc; Jan 21, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:37 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Well today was a very busy day, I had the mail man come tot he door and guess what he had, My Pakage. Woohoo. My motor, so i unpacked everything, motor, L mount, and prop adaptor. all availible at www.rcdude.com. Randy is a great guy, he told me he shiped it on thursday and got today thats FAST service.

Anyhow. i mounted the motor to the new L mount. I then put the adaptor tot he motor along with a 5x5 prop. to see where the mount had to go on my plane.

I then cut off the old stick mount then started sanding. where the new plate is going to go. Pictures shows everything I done today.

i then took the plane down to the shop and cut off the old spar(where stick mount was mounted) along with rest of the foam. I then found a piece of plywood and cut out the new plate.

After got it cut out I brought it back inside glued it to the airplane. Once it dryed I put on another coat of epoxy on the top of the plate and made sure the seams were all sealed up.

after it all was mostly dry i put the new servo in it and hooked up the rx, battery binded the radio to the new model for this plane, and set all trims to center. I got the arms 90 degree best could and hooked up the control rods.

I cut out a bigger slot for the Rx so it be flush and then ran the wires.

I then covered everything with orange packing tape to match the plane.

After the epoxy all dryed I sat the motor and mount on the plate marked the holes for it and drilled the olds with a hand drill. I then got my screws and ran into the mount. the mount has 6 holes i only used four .

I then Put CA in the holes I had drilled and let dry, I then mounted the motor.

Pictures shows it all mounted with a Tp 45C lipo sitting on it seems to balance right where lipo sits. it came out to be 19 ounce with lipo and 12.87 w/o battery.

So its just a little lighter with this set up.

At some point in the day I mounted the motor to a 2x4 cause I so wanted to run it. WOW it sounds mean.. I didn't have a 3 cell lipo charged so I grabed a 4 cell A123 pack and tryed it. 5x5 prop got 40.39 amps at 426.5 watts it hit 25,200 but held a good 24,400 Seems pretty good to me. I need to try it with a 3 cell lipo and see what i get.

I think i will try with a 3 cell lipo and a 3 cell A123 and see what kind of numbers I get. This motor that we know of has never been ran with a prop so I am first to test . I am going to try driffrent props on it also.

stay tuned.
Last edited by epoweredrc; Jan 24, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Ookay here are pictures of the motor all mounted plane complete and ready to be test flown. got distrated last night never posted rest pictures, sorry.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:35 PM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Aug 2004
855 Posts
Everything looks good Chris. You're about to get to the fun part. It will be interesting to see what speed you hit with the new setup. What are you using to measure the speed?

It will also be cool to see your numbers on the A123 4S vs Lipo 3S. Looks like you can stay under the 42A limit on that motor anyhow. The 4S A123 with APC 5x5 prop actually looks like a good setup for pushing the motor near it's max. SC calculates a pitch speed over 130mph. Sure seems like that could get your plane near 100mph.
ramovan is offline Find More Posts by ramovan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramovan View Post
Everything looks good Chris. You're about to get to the fun part. It will be interesting to see what speed you hit with the new setup. What are you using to measure the speed?

It will also be cool to see your numbers on the A123 4S vs Lipo 3S. Looks like you can stay under the 42A limit on that motor anyhow. The 4S A123 with APC 5x5 prop actually looks like a good setup for pushing the motor near it's max. SC calculates a pitch speed over 130mph. Sure seems like that could get your plane near 100mph.
Thank you, and well the numbers look good a 3 cell lipo should look about the same with using 10.5 as a voltage for it. I got on the caculator today The following.

5x5 /25,500 RPM, 28.0Amps, 295 watts,120 p.speed 22 thurst Scorpion calc.
5x5 /24,400 RPM, 40.3Amps,426.5 watts,109 P.speed, My 4 cell A123 numbers

so from the caculator with a 10.5 voltage set to a 4s A123 with a min voltage of about 10.6 is pretty close, we knew the numbers for the caculator would be off from real numbers. I am glad to see the Amps below 40. but barly I have a whole sheet of props to try, I will Post if I can figure out how to do a sceen shot of it.

Thank you again www.rcdude.com for the super fast shipment, and BTW everyone if you need a really good L shape mount this is the one, its made super tuff and not flimsy like others I have seen.
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-11...r-Mount/Detail
Should got one before now to use on some my planes.

Chris
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Well Just got finished bech testing the motor some more. and WOW I can not wait to fly it, we have up to 32MPH gusts today tommorrow looks about the same, Wesday there not telling the winds Hope below 5 if so I will fly it. got two planes to test fly, planes the same but motors driffrent.

Anyhow here is the data.

The Black are scorpion data from scorpion calculator.
The Red is 3Cell lipo(TP45C was used)
The Blue is A123 Data

PROP/RMPS/Amps/Watts/P speed/Thurst
5x5/ 25,500/ 28/ 295/ 120/ 22
5x5/ 25,700/ 43.39/ 478.5 121 23
5x5/ 20,800/ 27.6/ 234.7/ 98.48
------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.75x4.75/ 26,300/ 23/ 251/ 118/ 22
4.75x4.75/ 26,400/ 36/ 393.2/118
4.75x4.75/ 22,000/ 23/ 200/ 99.86
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.7x4.2/ 26,000/ 22/ 231/ 106/ 20
4.7x4.2/ 27,300/ 32/ 356/ 108
4.7x4.2/ 22,500/ 22/ 191.2/ 89
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:55 PM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Aug 2004
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
I can not wait to fly it, we have up to 32MPH gusts today tommorrow looks about the same
Are you sure you don't want to go out there today? I'm thinking that 32mph gusts will really help your speed on the down-wind leg. Might do 132mph - LOL.
ramovan is offline Find More Posts by ramovan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramovan View Post
Are you sure you don't want to go out there today? I'm thinking that 32mph gusts will really help your speed on the down-wind leg. Might do 132mph - LOL.
I would fly in it, if you figure out a way to launch the plane. for some reason wind likes to take whatever your throwing and just toss it like a piece of paper untill its up to speed I do not live on the side of a mountian. if I did and had these winds can you say slope flying.

just looked for Wedsday :

1 pm
Partly
47F
Partly Cloudy
45F
0%
36%
From WNW
4 mph

If thats true I am going to go flying then. Pray everyone so we get some real flight times on this set up and my other one.

There saying " fly me , fly me "
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
ok I keep looking at it and looking at it, I knew I was shooting for tommorrow to fly so i don't want it flying apart on the first flight. so i went ahead and installed two more braces into it. I also did the leading edge again it was square when I choped it I was lazy and wanted make sure flew okay so never rounded it so i took off the packing tape and rounded the front edge, then put the carbon fiber rods back and re wraped everything. I like the way it looks now.

Hard to see the edge but it is round, wish i knew something to fill in the holes in the foam sometimes it just tears, wish it was depron but then it be harder to make round i guess never tryed.

its now at 13.5 ounce with the new braces oh well it was like 14.2 before the rebuild then 13.8
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Okay well I got to fly today I tryed the 4.75x4.75 prop first and got 80Mph out of it. then put on the 5x5 and got 79 out of it. I was hoping for 80 and I got it so I am happy. It is fun to fly now, before it was slow and boring now its faster and fun.

jan 27th 24 inch delta scorpion motor.wmv (3 min 56 sec)

Thanks to my feonce for videing for me.
Last edited by epoweredrc; Jan 28, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Ok here is the video with the 4.75x4.75 prop. it pulls 26,400 at 36 amps static.
jan 27 4x75 x4.75 prop 80mph.wmv (2 min 11 sec)
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:42 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Okay so I have been using scorpion calculator and looking at props and well i think I am not going to find a better prop, I think weight is a issue here, but yet some say they have 20 ounce planes going 90, so I guess drag is showing its ugly face. Some think a battery being a inche behind the motor is not causing drag cause of prop air and such but others swear its causing drag. I know its harder to put a 2x4 through the air then a pencil. well I was considering foam, on either side the battery with a lip coming up on abou a 45, but then don't want to add more weight, I looked and looked for something the right shape, well i thought about a TP roll. you can make it into about any shape you want, so thats what i have choose to do, i took one cut it in half made a flat on the end and taper it so it fit onto the plane and allow the battery into it. the lip could be a little longer ( I cut it to short) but I think it work It simple and if it works i might make something better. but for now it show me or should. I still have my speedo meter on the plane so what the heck. We will try it.

Pictures show it cut, then flat then i stuck some straping tape on the top side just for reinforcement for it since it is just a carboard tube. if it gets wet it fall apart most likly. A lil hot glue to hold in place and then packing tape over the front edge of it.