HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2003, 04:52 PM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
My field battery plan, what you think??

Hello all,

I am pretty new to RC but am having a great time and feel that I will be in the hobby for a long time. I have two planes at the moment and am buying two more shortly. I have been using my truck battery to charge my packs at the field but worry at some point I will be stranded. I have been looking at field batteries and how to care for them.
Here is what I am going to do. I am going to just add a deep cell like a ultima in my truck and add a battery isolator between it and the starting battery about the same way you isolate house batteries from starting batteries in a motor home. This I think will fit my current needs and my needs in the future. My truck has plenty of room for the added battery. Where I fly, my truck is very close. I will not have to carry, store or mantain the battery and will basically have unlimited field charging, can always start the truck for a little while to recharge if ever needed.

Thanks for reading, any bad thoughts before I do this???

Rob,
Cruzer is offline Find More Posts by Cruzer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2003, 06:02 PM
Thermal Junkie
San Diego - California - USA
Joined Feb 2001
342 Posts
Sounds good to me Rob...

What field are you flying at?

I fly with the Weedwackers so don't have the luxery of staying close, so I bought a marine deep cycle battery to use.

Warren
Warren is offline Find More Posts by Warren
Old May 15, 2003, 06:16 PM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
Hi Warren,

I fly at the Silent Flyers field by Sea World. Great group of people over there and lots of room to mess up in heheeh.

Rob,
Old May 15, 2003, 06:37 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,347 Posts
Some chargers are programmable so you can set a minimum supply voltage when an alarm will go off or the charger will shut down. This will leave you enough juice to start your vehicle. You might see if your charger offers that neat feature, it would save the hassle and expense of another battery. However, if you fly a lot you may need the extra capacity.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old May 15, 2003, 06:45 PM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
I Have a MRC 959 and just bought a Triton and have not played with it yet. Good tip though thank's.

Rob,
Old May 16, 2003, 07:59 AM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Al P
Some chargers are programmable so you can set a minimum supply voltage when an alarm will go off or the charger will shut down. This will leave you enough juice to start your vehicle. You might see if your charger offers that neat feature, it would save the hassle and expense of another battery. However, if you fly a lot you may need the extra capacity.
Yes, this is an excellent idea. Never even thought of this approach even though I have an Orbit with an adjustable alarm for source voltage.

Unfortunately, I believe the Triton voltage is fixed and may or may not be suitable.

That begs the question, what would be a safe cut-off voltage???

Rob
rscamp is offline Find More Posts by rscamp