HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:44 PM
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
Discussion
Glow Powered PT Profile

This is my first gyrocopter, a PT Profile with an OS .15. I've been flying airplanes and helicopters on and off for years but never a gyrocopter.

I got impatient and tried to fly it today under not ideal conditions. It was getting dark so I stopped at a golf course teeing off plateau instead of driving to the flying field. There was hardly any wind, just a very slight breeze. I tried some taxis to see if I could get the blades spinning up pretty good and it taxied fine. I was holding up elevator to get the blades spinning good then it rolled to the left before I ever thought it would try to come off the ground. I wasn't anywhere near full throttle. After restarting I stopped holding up when it got to any amount of speed but even with no elevator it would roll to the left when it got going faster. Several restarts and several more left rolls. Finally it was getting dark and I really wanted to fly this thing so I decided to go for it. Got the blades spinning pretty good and held forward elevator so it wouldn't come off the ground. It was moving out and still hadn't lifted off. The end of the driving range was coming up and there was a pretty big drop off. I thought what the hey maybe if I get it going fast enough it will fly off like a plane taking off of an aircraft carrier, so I punched it. Nope. Went over the edge and I just heard a crunch. The only damage was broken prop, wooden elevator servo mount and scuffed some of the monokote off the blades.

I realized after getting home that I didn't put the shims on. Doh! Hopefully that will help. Next try I'll wait for some more wind and a much longer runway.
Invertedflyby is offline Find More Posts by Invertedflyby
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:41 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Hang in there! You'll get it up yet!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini