HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Angeljesus1mtz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:03 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Jan 2010
66 Posts
Discussion
Sonic Sabre 2

first let me say hello to everyone in my first blog post.
now down to business.

I have recently bought a Sonic Sabre 2 off ebay for 13 dollars. however, after receiving it, I did a little research on the plane itself. all of the reviews I have seen for this plane are bad, and all mention one fatal flaw, it nose dives into the ground. Upon inspection, I noticed that the hole in the back of the plane makes it so that the air coming out of the plane points down. meaning that the plane might have a propensity to just fly down.

has anyone else flown this plane without any modifications to the plane?

I'm going to experiment with the plane a little to try to see if i cant fix its nose dive tendencies without having to heavily modify the plane. pics and updates to come.

Angeljesus1mtz is offline Find More Posts by Angeljesus1mtz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:45 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Pretty nice looking plane.

Before doing anything, first try to fly without any modifications. I've read of a lot of planes that "nose dived into the ground" and flew fine for me. If you have been reading posts from a site like Amazon, it may also be kids that simply don't throw it right, or even adults that know next to nothing about flying. The most important thing to start is to make sure the you launch it just right; level with a firm push, but not so strong it shoots right up into the air, stalls, and comes right back down.

After that, if it does indeed tend to nosedive into the ground, cut small elevators into the tail (make sure they are both the same size and same distance from the center!) and angle them upward. This will sort of force the plane to get a bit of an upward angle in its flight, so that it doesn't dive down.

Anyway, good luck.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:36 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Jan 2010
66 Posts
Flew this little plane today, and i have to say, it is definitely nose heavy. The plane glides beautifully on its own, but as soon as I added the battery, I could see that it was going to need a hard throw to stay in the air. It flies nicely, once you get it going, but it does tend to plummet to the ground when trying to throttle down for landing. I'm thinking of getting a LiPo for this plane, since its lighter, making it easier to get this plane going.

What kind of LiPo would ppl recommend? and how much do they cost?
the battery that this plane came with is a small but heavy 6 cell 7.3 volt NiMH battery. what would be its LiPo equivalent?
Angeljesus1mtz is offline Find More Posts by Angeljesus1mtz