HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:06 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Discussion
AMA CLUBS.. YES or NO?

I have been wondering how many people do not wish to join or have had unfavorable experiences with AMA clubs when flying electric aircraft. I have been is the hobby for 30 years and have been members at quite a few clubs in the Southern US. Since I started flying electric a couple years ago, I cant seem to justify the long drive to a remote field abuzz with noisy glow planes. Also, the last club had some old farts who complained that my super light electric was flying over the runway (not even interrrupting the pattern). It seems that this club was trying to inforce the "safety" rules that apply to the much heavier and faster glow planes. They even frowned at me flying off to the side...and forget about hovering a 6oz foamy in the pitts! Meanwhile, on any given day, some dude is gonna come crashing into the pitts with his 8lb. bird with hardly a complaint!
Now I enjoy flying at parks and fields of choice, and on a good day, I'm greeted by grateful spectators that would never be seen out at these remote fields/parks. Dont get me wrong, I miss my fly "buds", but its just not worth the time anymore unless I decide to dust off the glow birds.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Last edited by MikeRx; Jan 20, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:24 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
My club is small. Rarely are there more than 4 or 5 members at the field at any time. I've found the membership to be friendly and helpful. The field is only about 7 miles away. I have a 8 acre flying field in my back yard but I usually make the short trek to the club field.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:21 PM
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,305 Posts
No...i learned to fly in one, so they are a very important part of the hobby, but the closest one is 50 minutes away, and since i only fly electrics ,i rather go to my local park......i have not been in an AMA club in years.
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:31 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
People need to stop blaming the AMA for every bad experience they have with a local club. AMA sanctioned clubs are just that, sanctioned. They are NOT the AMA. If someone runs into a club full of jerks that do not like parkflyers, then they have just happened on some jerks and not come up against any sort of bias or ill will on the part of the AMA.

Put the blame where it belongs. If you don't like the guys in your local club then find another place to fly.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:38 PM
Stilwell Shipyard
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2003
2,100 Posts
I do not think it has anything to do with AMA, it is people that make or break a club. Our club is big with some 300 members, thankfully they do not all show up at once. You can expect people flying every day with most on Sunday. Saturday morning is reserved for Soaring. I only fly electric and I have never been told I can't fly. But when the big turbines are airborne I shy away. Large planes are popular here and sometimes I avoid them too. Week days are fine. In the past year or so our club has got rule happy. I hope it is a passing fad.

Hurricane Larry
http://www.rseahawks.org
lslewis is offline Find More Posts by lslewis
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Well I would never blame AMA for anything. I think they are one of the finest organizations in existance. It seems however that some of the clubs may be a little old fashond in some respects. In this case, I found some at the last club couldnt even register the lack of danger my ultra lightweght electrics posed. Other clubs seem polarized on electrics as they zip around without a sound, unable to be heard over the glow planes. Untill I can find a more electric biased club, I will save the sanctioned fields for spectatorship at certain events.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:20 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lslewis View Post
I do not think it has anything to do with AMA, it is people that make or break a club. Our club is big with some 300 members, thankfully they do not all show up at once. You can expect people flying every day with most on Sunday. Saturday morning is reserved for Soaring. I only fly electric and I have never been told I can't fly. But when the big turbines are airborne I shy away. Large planes are popular here and sometimes I avoid them too. Week days are fine. In the past year or so our club has got rule happy. I hope it is a passing fad.

Hurricane Larry
http://www.rseahawks.org
What a beautiful field! I hope they dont drive you away with all those rules! I understand that rules are for safety, but it seems some never take into account one's skill or equipment.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:23 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Larry is right on this, any club is what it's members make of it. And I'll say that if we all would just go ahead and join them, then the number of electric flyers to glow flyers would be more equal and their vioce bigger and eventually become the majority in these clubs.
As long as we stay away and refuse to join them, then they will remain as they are............biased.

I just joined another club myself, the Marymoor RC club. And in the past they too were mostly if not all glow flyers but I have seen lately that more and more electric flyers have joined up and every weekend I've been there I see more of them. And the more I see this, the more dominant we become.
But I have also seen there a big acceptance of electric flying among the glow flyers, and many of them are very interested, and compliment my planes and the others all the time. It's a very diverse club as I see it so far, and so far I love it.
They also have one of the smoothest grass RWY's I've ever seen or used.
And yes there have been weekends I've been there where there were more electrics flying than glow or gas. In fact on one particular day I pulled in and parked and there were nothing but electrics in the air, and it was so quiet.
And this is all due to more and more electric flyers joining it, of which I am one of them.

So go ahead and join and do your part to make that club more electric friendly in the process. And remember that as I said the more we avoid them, the more these clubs will remain as they are and thats just what the old gaurd wants and they will get their way.
So dont let them get their way, you have just as much right to join and fly there as anyone else.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:27 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Doesn't matter what or where you really choose to fly the main thing is being an AMA member. Plus the magazine gets delivered to your door..
I say YES to the AMA and maybe to most clubs. You'll see all the cloned hats and glasses, best part is the non progressive old farts that have a 1989 Sportster with matching nicad battery and a rossi with a plastic carb that doesn't run worth a darn all pissy because he left his towel at home.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Jan 20, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:29 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Well said SabreHawk. Im gonna research and find a field(ive since moved)... and If i join, Im bringin' my park flyer buds with me!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Doesn't matter what or where you really choose to fly the main thing is being an AMA member. Plus the magazine gets delivered to your door..
I say YES to the AMA and maybe to most clubs. You'll see all the cloned hats and glasses
Im still AMA (since 1983) and would be a member JUST for that magazine! I feel good supporting them despite the lack of field usage. I think everyone in the hobby should be a member. I like having the opportunity to "crash" any club across the land at will. Come to think of it, I may start doing that cause I think there a quite a few who would appreciate a 300 watt/lb bird hovering, tail touching, and then rocketing up verticle in fast roll!!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
I say YES to the AMA and maybe to most clubs. You'll see all the cloned hats and glasses, best part is the non progressive old farts that have a 1989 Sportster with matching nicad battery and a rossi with a plastic carb that doesn't run worth a darn all pissy because he left his towel at home.
lololol! Nice edit sir! I now exactly what you are talking about! Problem is when one of those dudes is a club "official".
Hey! Your Palm Beach! I used to fly at Markham park Ft lauderdale. Talk about a ZOO on sundays! I saw a guy take off a turbine while a guy was retrieving a plane down the runway AND HIT HIM. Yes, he was hurt, paramedics came, but not too serious.
Last edited by MikeRx; Jan 20, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Hovering a plane in the pits?? Don't need you flying at MY field.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:00 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
Hovering a plane in the pits?? Don't need you flying at MY field.

howell
UMMM thats the same plane i hover in my living room... a 6oz shock flyer.
I keep the big birds over and beyond the runway...and the little one a reasonable distance away from spectators..unless they want to get close and feel the propwash.
Last edited by MikeRx; Jan 20, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:54 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Im still AMA (since 1983) and would be a member JUST for that magazine! I feel good supporting them despite the lack of field usage. I think everyone in the hobby should be a member. I like having the opportunity to "crash" any club across the land at will. Come to think of it, I may start doing that cause I think there a quite a few who would appreciate a 300 watt/lb bird hovering, tail touching, and then rocketing up verticle in fast roll!!
Being an AMA member doesn't allow you to "crash" any club field at will. When you fly at a club other than one you belong to, you are doing so as a guest and hopefully at the invitation of a club member. Clubs do not have to let non-members fly, even if those people are AMA members. Most clubs are happy to have guests, but it's not necessarily a privilege of AMA membership.

There seems to have been several threads lately about the AMA and local clubs. It's important to remember that clubs aren't companies in the business of providing flying fields to "customers". Clubs are groups of people who have joined together for a common cause, in this case obtaining an area for flying models. I'd argue that it's in a club's best interest to involve all sorts of models, but there is nothing wrong with a group of guys forming a club just for glow models, or giant scale, jets, etc, etc, etc. I've flown at a few clubs that were for electrics only.

By and large, my club is a great group of guys. I have still had the occasional person look down on some of my smaller electrics and tell me to "get a real plane". So what? Let them do their thing and I'll do mine. Most of it is just a bit of humor and rarely serious. I like to point out that at least my models don't stink and I can shower before going to the field instead of needing a shower afterward.

The best thing electric fliers can do is lead by example and not try to "educate" or wag their fingers at the "old farts" and try to convince them that electrics are the future. Just fly. Some people will always prefer glow and there is nothing wrong with that. Others will see some advantages in what you're doing and ask questions.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100