Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:03 AM
The netherlands
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
Question
1/2a slow flying plane plans (.020/.049)

Hello!

I'm Bastiaan from holland. I got some used cox engines wich I would to use on a slow flying plane.

I got a couple of pee wee's, black widow, babe bees and golden bee and offcourse some surestarts.

Does someone got plans for a slow flying model?

Thanks!
glaerox is offline Find More Posts by glaerox
Last edited by glaerox; Jan 20, 2010 at 04:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:38 AM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Do you have much experience with these engines?
These small plowerhouses while being small run at very high RPMs. Around 18,000 and more. Because of this they tend to be fast. If you try limit heir performance then you are using the wrong engine for the wrong type of flight.

The only Cox engine likely to do what you want is a Texaco .049 designed to swing larger props and t slower speeds than the engines you have named.

The type of airplane you will need to achieve what you ask for will be typically powered sailplanes.

That said many free plans can be found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002490 Feel free to look around.
LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:17 AM
The netherlands
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
I got some experience with the engines. I would run the .049 on a 6x3 or 5x4 prop. i dont want to limed their speeds! Just want a basic, east to build trainer for the cox.

I would search the topic you linked.

thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
The 6X3 is no good for the .049. It will turn it but you will never realise the engine's potential with this prop. Same goes for the 5X4. No good.

The best prop for you to use and get the most performance from the engine and yet go slowly is to use only 6X2 propeller. If you want more speed from the engine use 5X3. This information is for the Baby Bee, Golden bee and the Sure Start engines.

I am having a problem suggesting a model yet because I do not know how much building experience you have with balsa wood. What may be easy for some people may be harder for others. What balsa models have you built and successfully flown? To know this will help me help you.
LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:30 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
Not exactly a "trainer", but very easy to fly, the DNU (Das Not Ugly) is a quick building high wing aileron/elevator design from Pat Ulmer.
http://patrickulmer.homelinux.com/flown.html

Builds light, great glide ratio if you don't go overboard on the radio gear weights, flies very well on a sure start or better 049 and I'd recommend a 5x4 prop, will pretty much fly out of your hand with a light toss.

Duke
Dukester is offline Find More Posts by Dukester
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:45 PM
The netherlands
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
Thanks for all the advise. The DNU is a great looking plane! (it's in the name)

My experience with balsa building is unfortunately zero. But i really want to try it. I got skills in building boats.

I also got a Robbe charter trainer here, but want to build a cox model first. I got flying experience, but not with fast planes.

Greatings from holland
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:45 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
I would rate this one about a 3 out of 10 on build complexity. Giving it a 3 only because you have to cut all the parts. But with a few basic tools it can be framed up in one or two nights. Start a DNU build thread and post some pics, that way if you have any questions or need help, we'll know right where you are.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
There are alot of 1/2a Old Timer and Texaco looking planes that fit this bill. There are alot of plans available, some for free, and there are kits on ebay and a few different websites. I just built one of these and it is an excellent flyer. http://www.aerosphereonline.com/mm5/...e=Power-Planes It's kind of fast when the engine is running but slow after it stops. If you want a really slow flyer I would recommend something larger than this.

Good Luck!
Invertedflyby is offline Find More Posts by Invertedflyby
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:33 AM
The netherlands
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
I think i got for the DNU. i would start a building thread. I would print it tomorrow (hope i can converse it to europe A4).

I've seen much nice kits, but they are all for sale in the US. Here in the netherlands 1/2A flying is not a very common thing. And shipping the kits would cost about 30-40 dollar

thanks
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:44 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
A4 is about 11.7 x 8.3 inches and letter is 11x8.5, so you should be able to print it out on A4 from Adobe with no real effect on the plans. Just make sure you turn scaling off in the print setup window.

Duke
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:21 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,548 Posts
glaerox,
Theres a model called a QueueTee and also a PONG that would fit your requirements of a slower flying model for Cox power (they were designed for same)
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Last edited by clipclop; Jan 22, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:15 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
why is there a ping pong ball on that

ive used some strange thngs and even tried soft non regulation beer pong ball for fuel tank once but but why on the spinner?????????????????? does this create stall or is it similar to disks ive seen used to negate part of propelers thrust (seen on half a control line rtf to govern power)
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:24 PM
Joined Mar 2009
238 Posts
If you want slow, relaxing flying, the trick is to have a plane with a low wing loading and then throttle down to how slow you want to go. If the plane is heavy, relatively, it will need to fly fast, just to stay in the air.

I'd recommend the Sig/Herr "Air Boss"

Specs,

Mini radio
Required
Wingspan=35.75 in (908 mm)
Area=214.5 in (13.8 dm)
Weight=8 - 11oz (227 - 312 g)
Wing Load=5.37 - 7.38oz/ft (1639 - 2252 g/m)

Direct Drive
280 Class Power
Flight Time=8 - 12 min using 7 cell 270or 350mAh Nicad, Over 25 min using 7 cell 750mAh NIMH

Flight Time= 3 Channel R/C

These outstanding kits features all Laser Cut Wooden Parts, Tab and Notch construction for quick and accurate assembly, 3-D Cad design for precision part fit, Computer drawn plans, Quality hardware pack, Propeller, and a Complete step by step instruction manual.

That's direct from Sig's website, here, http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...nuF.html?E+Sig

It's meant for electric so that means construction is light. It could easily be adapted to take any glow engine you have. But throttling is always good to have, even if it's just to slow it down to a nice cruise speed and to kill the engine to land.

This one is only for three channel but I'd recommend adding ailerons. With 10 gram or less servos, that won't add a lot of extra weight. And notice the all up weight is given using NIMH batteries so this one looks like it would be even lighter with a real engine up front.
Andy-W is offline Find More Posts by Andy-W
Last edited by Andy-W; Jan 22, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:34 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Here's a Pong Two I built in '07 powered with a Black Widow. Mr. Randolph designed this low-wing version a couple of years after the original Pong. Nice, easy-to-fly, 2 channel plane. I also have one equipped with a Medallion .09 but it's not as slow or docile as the .049 version. I like to make low level passes while it's running, then take it up hundreds of feet before the fuel runs out. Then it becomes a decent glider, and is even capable of catching a thermal once in a while.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:53 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
565 Posts
Have a look at Dave Fritzkes web site. There are a couple of nice plans there: http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
The Mini Mambo, tri Squire or Lil Tri Squire would all fit the bill.

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley