HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:01 AM
Surrey, BC
Joined Jan 2010
20 Posts
Question
Beech 18 Plan search (tricycle gear)

I tried asking around at a couple of local RC shops in hopes of finding plans for a Beech 18, with little in the way of results. I did a little poking around here and started noticing quite a lot of people have made their own versions of this plane. I know there is quite a few places online offering plans for this plane, but I have yet to see anyone having done a tricycle gear version. I would like to try and find kits or plans in the WS range of 60" to 80" if possible which would be suitable for this type of conversion from a tail dragger. I've only just started searching around and asking for some help in tracking down plans or kits. I am aware of the search function of the forums but quite a few of the results I came up with seems to be years old by now.

Thanks
Jimfoxyboy is offline Find More Posts by Jimfoxyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:39 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,887 Posts
This is the kit I have about half done, http://www.kamodels.com/multis.htm, scroll down to the D-18. Very nice glass, foam, and balsa kit, instructions assume you have built a few kits before.
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:43 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,664 Posts
Kens kit is really nice..and its bigger than it looks in the pics..you will need to extend the nose a bit as I think all the trike 18s had the long nose
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:57 AM
Surrey, BC
Joined Jan 2010
20 Posts
Ok, well I've come to the conclusion that no one has ever made the exact particular version of the Beech that I'm looking for. So...

I was looking at a version with a 60" wing span. One in particular is done by a K&A Models. Not quite what I was expecting with a foam and glass type construction. I haven't quite found someone who does an all balsa version of that size since I was wanting to do retracts and a modification to the nose.

I'm aware there is a 49.5" version that is all balsa but its a little too small for what I was looking for.
Jimfoxyboy is offline Find More Posts by Jimfoxyboy