SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:27 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2005
636 Posts
Build Log
Schueler DG-505

Hi All,

Here we are in a new year, so I thought I would started building a 1/3.5 scale Schueler DG-505 that I bought for myself when I retired from the AF back in Nov 2001. A gift to myself for enduring 22 yrs in the Military and living to tell about it!

I guess now is a good as a time as any to start.

I am always grateful for any insight, tips, thoughts etcÖ. So please feel free to speak up.

This sailplane is all fiberglass, made by Schueler; with a wingspan of 6.39m. I'm not sure if they are still making sailplanes as his site has disappeared.
The fuselage is huge and will have more than enough room to fit all electronics and batteries.
I had Schueler install the retract, since I hate cutting gear doors. I also have instrument mushrooms and individual seat pans. Canopies will be hinged as similar to the life size. The wing joiner rod is made of fiberglass.

For radio guidance, Iím using my JR 10X as it will use all 10 channels. Would be nice to own a 12X, but just canít do it at this time. Besides I really need the 12X MV version, so that I can go the 2.4 route a little at a time. Oh wellÖ.

Iím going to use Hitec servos throughout. Iíll be using HS645MGís for the flaps, and ailerons as well as the rudder and elev. Iíll also use a 645 on the tow-release or something stronger if necessary.
Batteries; Iíll use 2; 5 cell packs at least 2200mah or may go larger if I need the nose weight.

Iíve already received my 2 Axel pilots (why I can't get the 12x radio), as well as instruments for the mushrooms.

Ok Here I go... Started with a wing... No idea why, but the bench was available....

I'll post more as I get something done...

Bill
Billymac is offline Find More Posts by Billymac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:51 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Subscribed! Love the lines of all the DG two seaters! I will be following your progress with great interest!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:52 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,607 Posts
Looks like a great project, Bill! Definately subscribed!

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:46 AM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Hi Billy,
Glad you decided to put this together now. I also enjoyed the Shueler web site and notice it diapeared too, about 2 months ago. Everything you discribe seems great, the 645 on the release should be fine, what do you plan to use for the retract. There seems to be quite a lot of guys using the hitec 7955 TG for gear. I just orderd some for my gear.
Post a picure of the fuse when you can, love to see the size of it.

LEN
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Dg505

You break my record Bill! I bought one Feb 2001, and didn't maiden it until 2007. And I didn't even have to be a soldier!

Any questions and I'll be pleased to explain what I did.

You will LOVE flying it too. It's happy to float around like a lady, but a couple of clicks down trim + some reflex flap, and you'd swear it had a turbine.

Looking forward to your build.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:21 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2005
636 Posts
Rog,

Do me a favor and keep me straight when I build this.. You definitely have my ear!!

Btw what did your total weight come out to be?

Len, I'll post a pict of the fuse tonight. If I had the rudder installed, I couldn't stand it up on it's nose without hitting the ceiling.
The retract is a Fema offshoot with shock strut.. So I think a Hitec 77 will work fine, but may have to up it to a JR retract that I used in my 1/3rd DG-600.

Bill
Billymac is offline Find More Posts by Billymac
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:25 AM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Rog, gorgeous plane,
Thanks Bill, look forward to the build thread.

len
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Bill - it'd be a pleasure to help. Most of my time was actually spent sitting staring at the thing, trying to think of the best way to do stuff - it's got such a flawless finish I didn't want to mess it up!

Having the retract fitted will save you a load of time. Reinhard had cut the doors for me, but in the end I glassed over, cut new doors and moved the U/C forward to under the LE. Shock strut is a good idea too in my opinion, especially if you land like me.

My AUW was just over 27lbs. I used to be a real weight-watcher and obsess about every ounce, but it's true that these big planes don't really care that much! Most seem to work out around 30lbs. They don't need much noseweight either - less than 2lbs I think on mine. CG should be "somewhere near the joiner" as Reinhard put it - and in practice mine doesn't seem too bothered - I'm still taking noseweight out and it's not got stroppy with me yet.

The fuselage is just over 8ft long I recall.

I used 625's on ailerons and rudder and 645's on flaps. Good enough for Mr Schueler, good enough for me. I split the elevator and drive them with 2 x 85MG's in the top of the fin. Zero slop + redundancy + more effective power for less weight than a single 625MG.

I hear Reinhard's health hasn't been great, sadly. GRP is great for sailplanes, but bad for humans. I hope he's managing OK. If he has given up, I'm sure those great molds of his will be acquired in time.

Rog
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:49 AM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Sad to here that news, hope he's comfortable.

len
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:05 PM
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Hi Bill - just remembered this. You're going to love it...

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/GLASS/...MikeEvans.html

Explore the links too for lots of good building hints. I saw Mike's model a while back and it is breathtaking.

Hey, I'm getting all excited just remembering building this plane. Have fun!!

Rog
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:11 PM
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Oh and one more thing Bill, while you're looking at those links, DO NOT, whatever you do, look at this...

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/GLASS/...te/Report.html

It could kick off a serious Sailplane Inadequacy Complex.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:26 PM
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
This is my Schueler DG503-M, fitted with an AFT19. Wonderful flyer.
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:34 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Harm.
How do you like the AFT system? whats your overall impression?

Thanks

LEN
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:56 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutton Bank View Post
Oh and one more thing Bill, while you're looking at those links, DO NOT, whatever you do, look at this...

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/GLASS/...te/Report.html

It could kick off a serious Sailplane Inadequacy Complex.
I swear, someday I'm gonna own one of those! It will be my final statement in RC, just before I die!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
So Randy, you just had to look, didn't you?

The size thing sucks you in, doesn't it. A decade or two back, 4m would draw a crowd. Now not much under 6m raises an eyebrow, unless it's scratch built.

For me, I actually have most fun with 5m sailplanes - big enough for realism in flight, but small enough to throw in the car, self launch, and cheap enough that I can throw them around a little without panicking!

Sorry Bill - forgive my hijack.