SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:21 PM
Electron Abuser
Allen, Texas (North Dallas)
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
I meant to say LiPo Regulator with a separate receiver pack.
John Jennings is offline Find More Posts by John Jennings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2008
51 Posts
Arch!
the Rivets ROCKS,
I am working on a Thunderchicken myself. I have talked to Archie about it and he says your doing one as well?

Jerry has seen and approved my layout so I just need to finalize the structural layout. I think I just figured out the final peice of the puzzle tonight so now I can get back into cad and do some drawing!
zedad71 is offline Find More Posts by zedad71
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:43 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
When I'm flying any electric model over $200 I use a seperate 2s lipo of 350-500MAH and a seperate ubec.

Here is a real world scenario that I was glad of this conviction, I'm running 180MPH with an Extreme flight box stock Outlaw, 2100W out of a 6s at 104amps, some guy says try my battery. So I did, half way thru flight motor cuts out, so I land no issues, much to my surprise his knock off Deans had melted down and the neg wire/terminal was dangling free of melted plug.

This could have cost me a model, esc,battery,radio, etc had it not been for the seperate power for radio control.

I had forgotten I only use OEM deans and use high temp solder to secure wires. Had this model crashed the post mortem would have most likely not turned up the root cause.
FWIW I only use 60-70MAH per 6 minute flight in my outlaw with 3 JR 4131's.

A seperate battery ie Lipo, etc for radio control is a must IMO.......
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:31 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
I can't wait to get one of these planes. I have been interested since I saw the one that Dan Kane brought to the F5D team trials. We have several people in our club that are ready to go racing also. I am sure that we will get some races going in our club.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:35 AM
Electron Abuser
Allen, Texas (North Dallas)
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
I thought I would show some Pictures of Jerry's Midget Mustang.
John Jennings is offline Find More Posts by John Jennings
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectfly View Post
I can't wait to get one of these planes. I have been interested since I saw the one that Dan Kane brought to the F5D team trials. We have several people in our club that are ready to go racing also. I am sure that we will get some races going in our club.

Chuck
Any pics?
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:25 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
794 Posts
I have attached a couple of pictures of my Miss Sanbernardino. Just to give a flavor of another work in progress.

As far as pictures of the Toni I had at the team trials. It was built by Jerry and it is identical to the pictures of the blue toni on the first page of this thread.

Dan
dkane is offline Find More Posts by dkane
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:27 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
You gentlemen are doing an excellent job of attempting to keep this tangible for the "average" enthusiast. This has the definite possibility of making me once again an AMA card carrying member.

Cheers!
golem is offline Find More Posts by golem
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:37 PM
Taylor,Mi,USA
Joined Mar 2001
109 Posts
Thunder Chicken

Here is the Thunder Chicken/ Sump N Else that has been mentioned.

Arch
Arch Adamisin is offline Find More Posts by Arch Adamisin
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
USA, TX, Midland
Joined Nov 2002
199 Posts
Now we need a stock shoestring and a modified one like Judy / Wagner Solution.
JFisher304 is offline Find More Posts by JFisher304
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:30 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
794 Posts
Here is a quick picture of the Plane Chuck flew at the team trials.
dkane is offline Find More Posts by dkane
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:47 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,387 Posts
Here's a screenshot of something I knocked up last night, a GR-7. I found a 3 view and used it as the background image to design over. Jerry, does it look scale enough for you? It came out very close to scale, I just had to make a few small changes:

1. Increase tail area to meet rules
2. Slim fuselage down to meet rules
3. Increase root chord to get wing area up to 375sqin (root chord at fuselage is now 10" as per Jerry's recommendation)
4. Lengthen tail moment to make it a bit more user friendly in the air.
5 Reduce spinner down to 1.5"

I spent a bit of time on X-foil to see what the SD6060 was like and see it there was anything better. I wasn't familiar with it, but I have to say that for the Re we're looking at, it's a super airfoil for a pylon racer. For the GR-7 I'll thin it a bit at the tips to keep a constant BL thickness, add a bit of camber and washout to keep tipstalling under control.

Jerry, for the wheel pants, I was thinking of moulding the pants and UC leg as one unit, like we do in F3D. The real GR-7 has the UC leg to one side of the pants, however it would make it simpler (ie only require one mould) if I had the UC leg on the centreline of the pants. Would this be acceptable from a scale point of view?

Construction of this will be simple balsa box/triangle stock type fuselage, as the real GR-7 was a bit slab sided. Glass cowl and vacformed canopy/hatch.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:00 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
Here's a screenshot of something I knocked up last night, a GR-7. I found a 3 view and used it as the background image to design over. Jerry, does it look scale enough for you? It came out very close to scale, I just had to make a few small changes:

1. Increase tail area to meet rules
2. Slim fuselage down to meet rules
3. Increase root chord to get wing area up to 375sqin (root chord at fuselage is now 10" as per Jerry's recommendation)
4. Lengthen tail moment to make it a bit more user friendly in the air.
5 Reduce spinner down to 1.5"

I spent a bit of time on X-foil to see what the SD6060 was like and see it there was anything better. I wasn't familiar with it, but I have to say that for the Re we're looking at, it's a super airfoil for a pylon racer. For the GR-7 I'll thin it a bit at the tips to keep a constant BL thickness, add a bit of camber and washout to keep tipstalling under control.

Jerry, for the wheel pants, I was thinking of moulding the pants and UC leg as one unit, like we do in F3D. The real GR-7 has the UC leg to one side of the pants, however it would make it simpler (ie only require one mould) if I had the UC leg on the centreline of the pants. Would this be acceptable from a scale point of view?

Construction of this will be simple balsa box/triangle stock type fuselage, as the real GR-7 was a bit slab sided. Glass cowl and vacformed canopy/hatch.

Stu.

Looks good Stu!

I don't think it meets the constant taper requirement though...
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:16 PM
Southlake, Tx
Joined Apr 2002
370 Posts
Stu.
you don't know how close the GR-7 is to my heart too ,but it doesn't meet the constant taper rule. I'm sorry .
jerry small
FanTasticModels is offline Find More Posts by FanTasticModels
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:18 PM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
727 Posts
Hi Guys,
Shhhhh! And I are watching with interest. and awaiting for kits to be released. These planes look really neat.

Joe
hondaboy92hatch is offline Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch