HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:31 PM
DHG
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Jul 2010
524 Posts
Yup.

It may take more words to make life simpler.
DHG is offline Find More Posts by DHG
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:30 PM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
595 Posts
And, just to play devils advocate here, if the rationale for not opening up a motor and sealing the windings (for increased duty-life not performance) is to make the event simpler/less intimidating for the new pilots, then we can't simply ignore the same rule to necessitate a repair.

A sticky wicket...
WBE is offline Find More Posts by WBE
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:34 PM
DHG
Joined Jul 2010
524 Posts
It truly is.

The answer may be to list some specific longevity fixes that are OK, like we did in AMA Event 424, so that anyone who reads the rules will not only know what's allowed but also how to do it. That way there are no "secrets".
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:52 PM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
Joined Aug 2005
595 Posts
Or... one of our pylon luminaries could finish his new race plane in clearcoat then point out (on the actual plane with handwritten notes!) all the "arcane" and subtle intricacies of a modern EF-1 to us new guys. Similar to an Estrellita? I read about in an issue of MA 20 years ago.

By the way, Thanks for doing that.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:56 PM
DHG
Joined Jul 2010
524 Posts
OMG, a blast from the past! Thanks!!
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:22 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
817 Posts
Miss Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahgurim View Post
Kevin, are you planning on releasing any designs for this event? I still have one of your Zoomers going and love it.
Look at post 938-350. And yes We are!
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
179 Posts
Thanks Kevin, that is great news. The more kits the merrier I believe. I will be mentioning this new event at our club meeting on Wednesday and would like to mention as many kit sources as possible.
Zahgurim is offline Find More Posts by Zahgurim
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
924 Posts
Transport Ideas Going To Races

Pilots,

When going to races and to practice we ride 2 to 3 pilots to a vehicle. George Parks came up with the idea of standing the planes on their nose so we could store them fully assembled and still have room for gear.

I came up with an idea to put the idea into action. The rack I installed in my small SUV (Mazda Tribute) can carry 6 EF1 airplanes fully assembled, gear and two pilots. See photos.

With a larger SUV like a Suburban you could easily carry 3 or 4 pilots and their planes fully assembled.

George also shared an idea with me to keep stuff from sliding in the car. Simply put some velcro (hard side) on the stuff you are carrying and it sticks to the carpet. Cool idea, thanks George. See photos
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:03 PM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,078 Posts
Where did you find the covering for the wing and stab?
Jaguar22 is online now Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:10 PM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
Joined Aug 2005
595 Posts
I saw some of that "color" at my local hobby shop. I think it's Ultracoat, you have to pay extra for it though because it's "special". Either that or Robert got it at the Christmas wrapping section at the mall.

Hideous, but distinctive! Robert was brave to show up at the field with that stuff on his plane.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:52 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Youens View Post
George also shared an idea with me to keep stuff from sliding in the car. Simply put some velcro (hard side) on the stuff you are carrying and it sticks to the carpet. Cool idea, thanks George.
Velcroing planes to the vehicle carpet is a GREAT Idea!! However, I found that you may need to "Test" your vehicle carpet type first. Some vehicles have cut pile and others have loop pile. Velcro will not grab the cut pile type carpets. If velcro will not stick to your carpet, just get a carpet scrap or buy a small rug with the proper loop configuration.

I found that the Bed Rug brand of pickup bed liners (www.bed-rug.com/) use the right stuff and I can velcro my planes and stuff and they no longer roll or slide around on the way to the field. However the carpet inside my Ford truck is the wrong type.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Dec 08, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:05 AM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,078 Posts
Hideous, but distinctive! Robert was brave to show up at the field with that stuff on his plane.[/QUOTE]

DHG and I have been flying my Pogo for quite a while, I got one of the first ones from Horizon. I just replaced the stock motor bearings in the Eflite 1250 motor worn out do to wear. This plane has well over 70 flights on it so far. it is not showing significant additional wear other than the wheel pants and axles from landings.

I was running 30C 2200 4S packs to start but now have Nano 45C 2200 4S packs. They run 4 mins continuous full throttle at around 63 amps (700+ watts out) then it is time to land. At ambient 85 to 90 degree days, cell temps are around 135.

This little plane is fun, so easy to fly like a trainer but faster.
Jaguar22 is online now Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:30 AM
Afghanistanimation
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
4 min on a 2200 pack? full throttle. I dont see how your getting 4 min with out running them down too far. How many mah are you putting back into those packs?
johnnychimpo is offline Find More Posts by johnnychimpo
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:39 AM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
924 Posts
Story of distinction

WBE,

Thanks for "Hideous, but distinctive". I was looking for a covering so "distinctive" (ugly), that no one else would likely choose it. As I was looking through coverings at the LHS I came upon this roll. The price tag was so yellowed and cracked and the roll was covered with dust, I knew I had found just what I was looking for. It was Ultracoat with a $28 price tag. I showed the roll to the LHS owner, he laughed. He said that the roll had become very comfortable in his store and that he was very motivated to make sure I took it home. He said he could not recall how long it had been since they used that style price label, but it had definitely been there for many years.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE View Post
I saw some of that "color" at my local hobby shop. I think it's Ultracoat, you have to pay extra for it though because it's "special". Either that or Robert got it at the Christmas wrapping section at the mall.

Hideous, but distinctive! Robert was brave to show up at the field with that stuff on his plane.
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:36 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2002
185 Posts
I think they were "trying" to give some like that away at the LHS, but still no takers... lol
DBA-FW is offline Find More Posts by DBA-FW