Pile-it
United States, CA, Edwards AFB
Joined Nov 2007
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
AT where are you racing, which club?
Hi Greg,

Were up north of Santa Rosa in Healdsburg. Wine Country Flyers.
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:07 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,667 Posts
Darn.. 80 miles from home. Does anyone know of clubs in the Bay area that are doing some racing?
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,083 Posts
80 miles for a race doesn't sound bad to me. I've driven to TX a couple of times!

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:10 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jennings View Post
I'd like to make a comment about Electric F1. To restate it, the purpose of the class is to get people into pylon racing. We don't want to make this the premier pylon event for experts. We want mass appeal for the sport flyers. For that to happen, we would like the support of the large manufacturers, something pylon racing in the USA has really never had.

We would like to keep a reasonable reign on the airplane design. We do not want to obsolete all existing arfs overnight. This has been the killer of many competitive motot sports I've been involved in. We want sport pilots to be able to fly and compete with the same design for a long time. That lowers costs and allows people to get in and out of the hobby without large capitol outlays.

Yes, electric equipment will change quickly, but we can deal with that by controling some basic rules and specs, which could include the watt limiter at a later time. What we need is for pylon racing to have a class that the local and regional guys can compete at the club level. This is analagous to how drag racing has stayed alive by supporting bracket racing vs heads up racing.

Once we get our feet wet, we can easily add classes and speed. A lot of people on this thread are used to going fast, and of course, thats where we will be going sooner or later. And some of us have a good deal of electric pylon racing experience with all these variables because we have been pushing the limit for the last 6 years or so flying F5D internationally. I've been using Lipos plus limiters and recording data for 2 years on F5D. Thats why we are so excited because we see a formula that can be so inexpensive.

Remember, this is not FAI racing controlled by an international committe. It's NMPRA and some of the people here including Jerry helped save Gas racing in the USA previously when Formula 1 racing with unlimited motors and Nitro nearly killed the event years ago. And NMPRA will and can be responsive to changes much more easily than FAI or even AMA. They are committed to that.
Very good response. In agreement, I thought the spirit of this was more on the level of allowing some of the bigger companies to produce some cheap and easy ARfs and let some sportsman flyers get a taste of pylon. I can't wait for these initial designs to become available.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:15 PM
USA, TX, Midland
Joined Nov 2002
199 Posts
If we can't do pushers, how about Turmoil?

JFisher304 is offline Find More Posts by JFisher304
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:43 PM
Andover
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
ef-1

Geat work guys, I look forwrd to finishing my Little Toni up and having it ready for spring. Not sure I'm thrilled about digging the Ultracote Iron out again, but it will give me a chance to use up some of that monokote metalllic green.
daven is offline Find More Posts by daven
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:11 PM
Southlake, Tx
Joined Apr 2002
370 Posts
jfisher,

uhh.....no(but it sure is uhh..interesting?)
FanTasticModels is offline Find More Posts by FanTasticModels
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:00 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,379 Posts
That looks like something homer Simpson designed - does it have a cup holder? Not the small, one pint one, the full gallon.......

BTW, am I the only one who thinks forcing us to cover the models with film isn't fair to those of use who like to have a nice looking model (which stays nice looking after months in the sun)? I see the logic behind the rule, but I think if someone wants to go to the trouble of a nice painted finish they should be allowed to.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:43 AM
Southlake, Tx
Joined Apr 2002
370 Posts
Sorry,
I must keep repeating myself. It all boils down to "perception" . If your racer is slick and glassed and painted and you are winning...everyone with a mass produced inexspensive racers will complain and quit. Wait until this event has a chance to breathe...then we (perhaps) can have Q40 in electric.
FanTasticModels is offline Find More Posts by FanTasticModels
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:05 AM
USA, TX, Midland
Joined Nov 2002
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanTasticModels View Post
Sorry,
I must keep repeating myself. It all boils down to "perception" . If your racer is slick and glassed and painted and you are winning...everyone with a mass produced inexspensive racers will complain and quit. Wait until this event has a chance to breathe...then we (perhaps) can have Q40 in electric.
I agree. I do not have the talent or $$ to be running glass aircraft. There might be an alternative though. What about allowing fabric (not fiberglass) covering in addition to film?. That way it wouldn't be any harder or more expensive than using film, and it would allow for painting.
JFisher304 is offline Find More Posts by JFisher304
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:08 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,687 Posts
Stu..I also would like to fiberglass and paint..but Fantastic models is right on.Pilots will not get involved if there is the SLIGHTEST perception that a glassed and painted plane has an advantage.Uniformity is the key in the beginning.
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:13 AM
Taylor,Mi,USA
Joined Mar 2001
109 Posts
EF-1 Rivets

Here's todays installment of design possibilites. The Rivets.
Any time you guys get tired or seeing these concepts, let me know and I'll stop posting.
Arch Adamisin is offline Find More Posts by Arch Adamisin
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:59 AM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Adamisin View Post
Here's todays installment of design possibilites. The Rivets.
Any time you guys get tired or seeing these concepts, let me know and I'll stop posting.
Keep 'em coming Arch!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:24 AM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,629 Posts
I do have a question about the rules. It is stated that you cannot use the ESC's BEC for radio power, and that you have to use a separate battery instead. Has any consideration been given to all the use of say a Castle Creations type BEC? If the reasoning is for safety reasons, using a separate BEC makes just as much sense as another battery. Not relying on the ESC in case it fries makes sense and using the BEC makes sense to retain control.

If the goal is to make it easy for the average guy to compete, having one less battery to take care of should have obvious appeal. 99% of the guys who fly electric are not conditioned to have a second battery to keep charged as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
Electron Abuser
Allen, Texas (North Dallas)
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
"I do have a question about the rules. It is stated that you cannot use the ESC's BEC for radio power, and that you have to use a separate battery instead. Has any consideration been given to all the use of say a Castle Creations type BEC? If the reasoning is for safety reasons, using a separate BEC makes just as much sense as another battery. Not relying on the ESC in case it fries makes sense and using the BEC makes sense to retain control."

Our previous experience has shown it's not as safe to rely on the main power LiPo battery and ESC BEC. There have been too many issues with higher power systems concerning this point. In a racing environment, we want to be extra safe because people will naturally push the limits in testing or otherwise. Obviously BEC's are fine when used with a separate 2 cell lipo receiver pack.
John Jennings is offline Find More Posts by John Jennings