HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:19 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
Dan,

Thanks. Good idea. I'll see what I can do.

Jim
PylonJim is offline Find More Posts by PylonJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:34 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,834 Posts
I got got to fly one over the weekend, Thanks Jim!. It was a blast I usually fly EDF but I'm thinking about trying these. I'm going over to the Jolt fly-in Looking forward to the demo races.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:16 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
We did a practice session of EF-1 racing at the West Coast Big Jolt fun-fly. 6 models, all Pogo's, were on hand and very even up on speed. The course was a two pole course, 400-ft distance between pylons. Had to stand outside the course during the flying. Nonetheless, it was fast and furious fun. Actual race heats will be on Saturday. Should be cool!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2003
752 Posts
What time are the demo heats tomorrow ??? I will try and make it.
PylonDave is offline Find More Posts by PylonDave
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:51 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
According to the schedule, it's part of the noontime demos. We flew at 11:30 today. Hope you can make it.

Mike
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:33 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2003
752 Posts
what rpm are you guys getting on the eflite motor with an 8x8 prop ???
PylonDave is offline Find More Posts by PylonDave
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
Hi Dave,

I recorded 13,800 using a 4S- 2500, 30C from E-Flite.

Mike
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:58 PM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
706 Posts
Races in Tucson AZ

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone might want to try ef-1 racing here in Tucson. I chatted with a guy that does warbird racing here in Tucson and if I can get enough interest and at least 3 or 4 people to race they would try it. The raceing will be in december. so if anyone wants to try please pm me as I might forget to check back here and I will get more details.

Joe
hondaboy92hatch is online now Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:53 PM
DHG
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Jul 2010
471 Posts
rpm figures APC 8 x 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PylonDave View Post
what rpm are you guys getting on the eflite motor with an 8x8 prop ???
Dave,

Mine peaked at 14K, settled back to 13,500 steady. This was with a cheapie 20C pack -- the Zippy Flightmax 2650 4S from Hobby King.

BTW, the cheapies seem to do fine with the 8 x 6. 42 to 44 amps max, according to the Watt's Up meter, and they get just moderately warm after 10 laps at full throttle. That compares to about 49 amps with the 8 x 8 and very warm after 10 laps. We're getting ourselves collected around here and thinking about limiting props to the 8 x 6. That should help avoid an arms race in battery technology.

I hope!
DHG is offline Find More Posts by DHG
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:44 PM
Southampton UK
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
To the committtee - review of the latest rules advises a selection of speed controllers for use in the EF1 class . Here in the UK the speed controllers listed are not generally available from most model shops and the Castle creation variants listed are considerably more expensive than most other brands - for instance if i chose the CC Ice controller then this would be the single most expensive component of the airborne system by some margin - some 30 more than the airframe itself . We can buy however scorpion controllers at half the price of the equivellant CC units and several members are flying the turnigy controllers with no issues . The UK wishes to support a standard set of rules but in this instance my personal feeling is that we need to be flexible on this rule and allow use of freely available and economically priced equipment to encourage all to join in - your view gents on this please - thanks TB
FLYTILIDIE is offline Find More Posts by FLYTILIDIE
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,863 Posts
We allow any speed controller. I can't see any good reason for restricting this item.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:34 AM
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
188 Posts
I'm with you on this one Dave. I can see no reason to restrict the Speed Controller at all particuarly as some cheaper types seem to work just as well. I discussed this with Flytilidie when he dropped in at my house the other evening and we are both agreed its unneccessary. Maybe just a good old bit of protectionism. As he says the Turnigy 85amp one works really well and doesn't seem to get warm even drawing 60 plus amps. I guess the large heat sink helps. Good price as well.
Napoleon IV is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon IV
Last edited by Napoleon IV; Sep 14, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:20 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,863 Posts
I use the Turnigy 60A controller which doesn't get warm on an 8x8.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:24 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
721 Posts
As far as the NMPRA committee is concerned we are listening. The controllers listed in the current revision of the rules are a starting point. Please continue to investigate and any feedback on matters of power systems are being noted. Our goal is make everything as equal and cut and dry as possible of course at the most reasonable amount of money spent. Sourcing/availibility is another concern. Any item listed must be readily available. If local sources are different, certain organizations may deviate slightly to achieve our goals. All of which would be in the spirit of this event.

Dan
dkane is offline Find More Posts by dkane
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:34 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,311 Posts
DK,

Pick a one only prop, a KV and max gram weight of battery, and your done, If you do it right you can have packs that will run 2 heats if setup as a heli controller in governor mode, it will also insure high dollar packs are not the norm.

This will alllow any ESC, Motor, Battery cell count without any advantage. KV can be checked by inputing 10VDC to a ESC and measuring RPMS without a prop if a disspute where to arise. While not EXACT science each pilot can do his homework prior to an event and know where he stands.

Please add the Hyperion motors to the list as they are the only ones that you can use a bell housing mounted prop adapter versus a collet mounted prop adapter.

Your close but the idea that amps of controller and cell count are a measure of any horsepower restictor I have concerns over. I consider a battery is the true horsepower,
I use a generic formula that 10grams of battery weight will net 25 watts of power to a prop, this is irrelevant of cell count as watts is watts. Even in a POGO a 6s pack is fine if its weight is lmited to 325grams, and so on to 10s if you want.

Thus why I say with a single spec prop, and a single spec KV, and a max battery weight It becomes a starting point restrictor.
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f