HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:01 PM
Electron Abuser
Allen, Texas (North Dallas)
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
This morning George Parks just finished and test flew one of Jerry's Miss Outrageous designs. This is the second Miss Outrageous. Jerry already has 25 flights on his and is ecstatic about it.

George said it flew like on rails with knife edge flight all around the the pylon course. Here is a few pics. I'm sure he will post his comments later.
John Jennings is offline Find More Posts by John Jennings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:09 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane View Post
Yuri, 375 sq in is a sweet spot for this size airplane. The goal was not to necessarily make a race plane but make a sport airplane that could be raced. Different sizes were tried in the beginning and 375 was settled on because of the way the airplane flew. It truly flies well enough to be a great sport airplane yet, stable and fast enough to accomplish our goals.

DK
Thank You for the answer.
Reason I asked,I am building one racer 53" 288 sq /without stab area/
Not looking for beginners stability,more interested in speed task.
My camera died,will post some pix when I got new one.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:59 PM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Mar 2007
126 Posts
any kits available? interested in getting one,
Stevem9 is offline Find More Posts by Stevem9
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:13 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,336 Posts
One of my favorite parts of this equation is they have landing gear. This brings in a whole new crowd, some of them also flying wet powered models. I say this as I fly with a bunch of die hard fuel flyers that really take note when I fire up a high powered E model. Most of them seem very interested in the power now available, but wouldn't think twice about hand launching anything.

I certainly hope this goes far. It a refreshing idea, keep up the good work!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:34 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
794 Posts
As to Kit availability... Currently no kits are available. We are still finalizing the designs. There will be kits available as well as ARF's available. Unfortunately, I don't have a concrete time line. Stay tuned we will update as things change.

We are really close...Anyone have any suggestions on a reliable source for glass work, cowl and wheel pants??????

Dan
dkane is offline Find More Posts by dkane
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:49 PM
Austin,Texas, USA
Joined Jun 2001
43 Posts
What can I say - these EF-1 planes remind why I got into pylon back in the 70's. They look great and are a ball to fly. So far, I have built one LR-1A, two Toni's, and finished one Outrageous and I love 'em all. Every one has required an absolute minimun amount of trim corrections (2 clicks max). A reasonably smooth grass field is all that is required for take-off. All these designs have the same airfoil and wing area. It is an excelent design and has no tendency to snap roll and landings are a delight.
According to our best estimates, there are about 20 EF-1 planes scattered around the country now. We just need a manufacturer to start cranking them out.
George Parks is offline Find More Posts by George Parks
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:26 PM
Engine Category Manager - EVO,
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2005
250 Posts
Guys,

Good morning from China!

The EFL Pogo is on track for a Q2 release to our dealers and customers. I left the factory early Wednesday morning and they were doing a great job with our airplanes. The latest versions of the EFL motors are waiting for my testing when I return to the office next week but early bench testing shows they meet the specs we wanted. These will be available at the same time as the airplanes.

BTW - as the 'engine guy' at Horizon my fellow product developers are getting a real kick out of it when the only thing I show up with at the field to test is two or three EP pylon racers. And I 'test' these a lot because they are such a hoot to fly...

Pete
Pete Bergstrom is offline Find More Posts by Pete Bergstrom
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:57 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
I like Pogo Too bad you didn't make the newer version that Ray Cote was flying. That thing was sweet!

That Outrageous is sure beautiful. It's stretched and thin compared to the real one though, so I guess the rules concerning "integrity of the outlines" is up to interpretation?

I just want to understand how this works that's all. I am interested but I think the scale part of the rules should be clarified. I read them over and over. They seem to say "build a scale model of an F1 racer".

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Jan 22, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:32 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jennings View Post
This morning George Parks just finished and test flew one of Jerry's Miss Outrageous designs.
John, I think you better ship that bird up North so us Calgary boys can take a rip on it... for evaluation purposes you understand. We promise to blow the snow out of the cowl. Did I mention we are very gentle on equipment too?
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:18 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
If that's what it takes to be a tester, I think I've "qualified" as well!

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:42 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane View Post
As to Kit availability... Currently no kits are available. We are still finalizing the designs. There will be kits available as well as ARF's available. Unfortunately, I don't have a concrete time line. Stay tuned we will update as things change.

We are really close...Anyone have any suggestions on a reliable source for glass work, cowl and wheel pants??????

Dan
What about Matney Models for your glass work?????
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:47 AM
USA, TX, Midland
Joined Nov 2002
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jennings View Post
This morning George Parks just finished and test flew one of Jerry's Miss Outrageous designs. This is the second Miss Outrageous. Jerry already has 25 flights on his and is ecstatic about it.

George said it flew like on rails with knife edge flight all around the the pylon course. Here is a few pics. I'm sure he will post his comments later.
That is a beautiful ariplane.
JFisher304 is offline Find More Posts by JFisher304
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
Electron Abuser
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
Ya Peter,

I'll bet you will blow the snow out of it...

The demand is growing for prototypes, but most of it is limited by the issue of cost and the need for someone to build them. The laser cut balsa costs are probably over $65 and we need someone to do the glass work. Jerry is graciously doing all the glasswork on the prototypes and thats really something he does not want to do. Obviously the prototype parts costs are almost as expensive as a finished arf will be.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
Electron Abuser
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
Kevin,

Call Jerry or Dan.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:51 AM
Electron Abuser
Joined Oct 2002
335 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for the update. I'm sure there are a lot of people in the US and Europe that frequent this thread that will be excited over this new model. We just need to get them in everyone's hands. Then the adrenelin will start to flow.