HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:38 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
If we fly these in San Diego, likely we would have two classes for level of experience like we did for S400 and I would not fly against a newcomer. I'd probably call for them and help in other ways. This class is not designed for me and I accept that. They still look like a lot of fun on or off the course.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,022 Posts
Alien Tech, when did I say I wont race. And I'm not worried about getting beat either. I did race when it was around ( F5D and speed 400 ) and I look forward to it again. And yes Troy was one of the people I use to race with. Having said that I know what peoples thoughts are from when I raced and thats were my comments are comming from.

Mark
MarkF is online now Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:53 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,695 Posts
Gotcha Mark and I agree.

The thing that people fail to realize is that this is a NATIONAL set of rules. Very few of us will race at that level and most likely will race at the club level where those things are taken into account.

My point is we need to take the class as it is written and actually hold some races and TRY IT before we make changes.

People like Yuri contribute nothing of value to this discussion and just like to piss in people's cheerios to get a reaction I love the fact that the guys who complain the loudest have no intention of participating.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2010, 07:18 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
797 Posts
Very well said !!!
Lets race first!!!!!!!
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:19 PM
Taylor,Mi,USA
Joined Mar 2001
109 Posts
I, personally am anxious to get a dozen or so of these models out at the field at the same time and set up the pylons and see just exactly what it is going to take to make this idea successful. Until that day comes, we're still just guessing about a lot of things.
Up until now, Jerry has been carrying the ball almost alone. Danny has Miss San Bernardino almost ready and both my son and I will have finished prototypes in a couple of weeks. The Owl and the Boo Ray.
Alien Tech has his Nemesis almost there. Stu Max probably isn't too far off with his Minnow either. And then Kevin will have the Miss Lynn.
By the end of next month, there should be about 9 or 10 different kits available for anyone to buy. Maybe not perfect, but certainly a very good start.
If you don't see a model that you like, draw one up. Everyone is welcome to participate. The more people that play, the more fun all of us will have, and I honestly feel this event is going to be a whole lot of fun. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be involved.

Arch
Arch Adamisin is offline Find More Posts by Arch Adamisin
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:11 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
760 Posts
Mark,

You hit the nail on the head about perception. The beauty of this event so far with these rules, the airplanes are very close if not exactly the same. Using the LR-1A as the bench mark, several have been comparing speed to all the other designs flying. They are all extremely close if not identical on a given day, for a given power system.

Troy I disagree with your comment. This event is for you. It is for everyone. That is what makes so attractive. It may not be what floats your boat or what makes a flying car soar. It is however, a blast and way to get everyone enjoying pylon racing again without all the excess baggage that is passed down from the other events. A side note, as a kid some 30+ yrs ago I started racing AMA pylon. I dreamed of the days of competing with the top dogs. Names you read about in the magazine, people you would see fly at contests and were just awesome. I was fortunate enough that my father raced and I got to see everything first hand. Names like Violet and Telford, Bob Smith, Kent Nogy, Dub Jett, Jerry Small, Mike Helsel, Brian and Bruce Richmond, Dave Shadel, Gary Hover, Richard Verano, Lyle Larson, Rusty VanBuren, Jim Maki, Dennis O'Brien, Bill Williamson, Bill Pierce, Bob Onari, Doc Martin (who stitched my chin at pool side when I was about 6yrs old), Eric Meyers, Don Anderson, Don Dombrowski, Fred Reese, and so on. I once saw John McDermott fly inverted around the course. These were the guys that made me love pylon so much. Here in the midwest, I was fortunate to see guys like my Dad, Dennis Summner, Ken Heatlie, Gail Jacobson, Bob Petrenic, Pete Waters, Dave Keats, Jim Deyoung, Dave Sears, Dennis Bielick, Lynn Stevens, Wayne Yeager, Jim Gager, Bill Hager, Allan Booth, Ken Hulik (as a punk kid I often called for Ken, we won the nats and set a national record together), Al Grove, Dave Latsha, Rex Knepper, Greg Doe, Jim Katz, Joe Dodd, Craig Grunkemeyer, Tom Scott, Fred and Billy Johanson (I know I am leaving some names off, sorry) and the list goes on. The point is if you don't fly it Troy, how can you inspire anyone to be like you. You are the perfect guy to do this. Trust me I can remember the first time I beat some of these names on the list.

The single most important aspect of this is to nail a power system down that works and works well. Once we hit this mile stone, all other chips will fall into place for a period of time (stability) and then we can modify and enhance the rules.

Dan
dkane is offline Find More Posts by dkane
Last edited by dkane; Feb 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:37 AM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,022 Posts
Good post Dan, I agree Troy should fly. I remember what a joy it was the 1 or 2 times I came in front of him. It definitely gave you something to shoot for. This is good everyone is getting to put there 2C in and when the arfs come available the majority will really get to start flying these and see what peoples thoughts are.

By the way did you ever see the videos of the F3D plane I got from you? Neu 1521 3D, 12s and a 7.5 x 8 prop. That one was a screamer. I think Troy has some video of it somewere.

Mark
MarkF is online now Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:54 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
760 Posts
Mark,

I did see the videos way back when. It was too cool. Even though this isn't that type of speed it still is cool in a different way.

DK
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:46 AM
Placerville Ca.
Joined Aug 2008
57 Posts
kits

Kane,
Where can I get one of these electic pylon racing kits?
J. Carpenter
jcpylon is offline Find More Posts by jcpylon
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:09 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane View Post
Mark,

You hit the nail on the head about perception. The beauty of this event so far with these rules, the airplanes are very close if not exactly the same. Using the LR-1A as the bench mark, several have been comparing speed to all the other designs flying. They are all extremely close if not identical on a given day, for a given power system.

Troy I disagree with your comment. This event is for you. It is for everyone. That is what makes so attractive. It may not be what floats your boat or what makes a flying car soar. It is however, a blast and way to get everyone enjoying pylon racing again without all the excess baggage that is passed down from the other events. A side note, as a kid some 30+ yrs ago I started racing AMA pylon. I dreamed of the days of competing with the top dogs. Names you read about in the magazine, people you would see fly at contests and were just awesome. I was fortunate enough that my father raced and I got to see everything first hand. Names like Violet and Telford, Bob Smith, Kent Nogy, Dub Jett, Jerry Small, Mike Helsel, Brian and Bruce Richmond, Dave Shadel, Gary Hover, Richard Verano, Lyle Larson, Rusty VanBuren, Jim Maki, Dennis O'Brien, Bill Williamson, Bill Pierce, Bob Onari, Doc Martin (who stitched my chin at pool side when I was about 6yrs old), Eric Meyers, Don Anderson, Don Dombrowski, Fred Reese, and so on. I once saw John McDermott fly inverted around the course. These were the guys that made me love pylon so much. Here in the midwest, I was fortunate to see guys like my Dad, Dennis Summner, Ken Heatlie, Gail Jacobson, Bob Petrenic, Pete Waters, Dave Keats, Jim Deyoung, Dave Sears, Dennis Bielick, Lynn Stevens, Wayne Yeager, Jim Gager, Bill Hager, Allan Booth, Ken Hulik (as a punk kid I often called for Ken, we won the nats and set a national record together), Al Grove, Dave Latsha, Rex Knepper, Greg Doe, Jim Katz, Joe Dodd, Craig Grunkemeyer, Tom Scott, Fred and Billy Johanson (I know I am leaving some names off, sorry) and the list goes on. The point is if you don't fly it Troy, how can you inspire anyone to be like you. You are the perfect guy to do this. Trust me I can remember the first time I beat some of these names on the list.

The single most important aspect of this is to nail a power system down that works and works well. Once we hit this mile stone, all other chips will fall into place for a period of time (stability) and then we can modify and enhance the rules.

Dan
Danny,

When I first heard about this I got thinking about coming back and doing a little racing...I agree that we need to nail down the power systems and dimensional details then see if we can get some races scheduled. I don't think you want to try and separate the ARF's from Kits, etc. They should be pretty even and put it into the hands of the pilot with the best thumbs on that day!!! Some of this nick picking this early one really detracts from the intent.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
760 Posts
Jeff, it has been awhile... Kits are coming. The cart is a little before the horse at the moment. However, we are working hard to make kits available. We are about a month and a half away from full blown kits being available. Others might be sooner. As far as ARF's, the LR-1A is due (I believe) in Q2 of Horizions release schedule.

Denny, we are getting closer. And I am very confident when it rolls off the end of the ramp things will be clearly defined. At this point, no matter what power system is chosen for competition, these airplanes fly great on almost anything that is commercially available. We just need to get our ducks in a row before the competitions start. It's kind of like the pendulum affect. I am glad that we peaked your interest. Be patient with us. It is happening.

Do you guys know Denny has a airplane that was placed in the AMA's hall of fame, and is on display in the AMA museum!!!

DK
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:20 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,862 Posts
Hey, is anyone bringing one down to PHX Q40 race next week for demo flying? If so, maybe you can convince someone to take a video & post it here... for any unfortunates missing the event while chained to their work desk.
ptxman is online now Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:31 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
760 Posts
Peter,

You need to convince Randy to take his video camera. Chained to your work desk... that is just because your boss enjoys seeing you that way!

DK
Last edited by dkane; Feb 19, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:27 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
This is an event that really appeals to me. I am never going to be competitive, but that isn't what it has to be about. I got a Sliver when Arch first started selling them, (I think - Toledo about 15 years ago?), and I still like flying it just as a sport plane. I flew some SP400 when we had it going and was happy with anything that WASN'T last! It was fun.

This proposal is for good looking planes that will make nice sport fliers, but still look like real planes. I like the variety of the plans mentioned here, and the prospect of ARFs being competitive means that a lot of guys will give it a try, especially with the inexpensive power systems. I hope I can find someone to fly with!

Martin (waiting for the kits and short-kits to become available)
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:44 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane View Post
Troy I disagree with your comment. This event is for you. It is for everyone.
Huh!? I am flying as soon as I can get an airframe! I hope we can get some good participation in our area. I was commenting more on the aerodynamics aspect and airframe simplicity. I love carbon, kevlar, and sharp edges but there is something therapeutic about building with sticks and sheets of balsa. Don't break all the prototypes in Phoenix! I might be getting some stick time on one of those
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member