Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 09, 2010, 01:59 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
All it takes is the Rx lipo to be left on ONE time and run flat, and it's ruined.
Yes, and then you'd be out of pocket a whopping 8$... and thats a 1300maH lipo. These days, in this capacity range, its like fretting over broken props & lost wheel collars.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Ah_2S1P_15-25C
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 03:08 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Yes, and then you'd be out of pocket a whopping 8$... and thats a 1300maH lipo. These days, in this capacity range, its like fretting over broken props & lost wheel collars.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Ah_2S1P_15-25C
You missed my intended point completely, it has nothing to do with being out any amount of money. My point is, someone will still try to use that ruined battery pack potentially causing a dangerous situation.

No matter, the rules are what they are and I will gladly participate.

I'm not sure what's so attractive about this class to me. I'm sure part of it is they have landing gear for sure, part of them is they can be made to look reasonably scale. I'm having a blast so far, I can't wait get one in the air.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2010, 03:52 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,855 Posts
Quote:
...My point is, someone will still try to use that ruined battery pack potentially causing a dangerous situation.
Typically a Rx lipo that has been discharged to zero is dead for good & wont even charge up again. So logically it wouldnt never have the opportunity to power up the rx or servos to commence a flight. Thats the nice thing about modern lipo chargers & balancing ports connected to discreet cells: if anything is amiss, unbalanced voltage or under spec charge capacity for whatever reason, lights should be blinking, buzzers buzzing...

The point is, the drive pack see's a elevated duty as it is used & abused and it degrades naturally over time. THAT will be the 'grey area' battery of questionable condition that people will roll the dice on. And with a BEC connection, is now inherantly tied to the control of the Rx & servos. A seperate Rx battery is non fool proof either & does involve more connections, but its a step in the right direction. The issue has been beat to death, lets move on.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:03 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Typically a Rx lipo that has been discharged to zero is dead for good & wont even charge up again. So logically it wouldnt never have the opportunity to power up the rx or servos to commence a flight. Thats the nice thing about modern lipo chargers & balancing ports connected to discreet cells: if anything is amiss, unbalanced voltage or under spec charge capacity for whatever reason, lights should be blinking, buzzers buzzing...

The point is, the drive pack see's a elevated duty as it is used & abused and it degrades naturally over time. THAT will be the 'grey area' battery of questionable condition that people will roll the dice on. And with a BEC connection, is now inherantly tied to the control of the Rx & servos. A seperate Rx battery is non fool proof either & does involve more connections, but its a step in the right direction. The issue has been beat to death, lets move on.

Agreed. Are you building anything?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:12 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,855 Posts
Quote:
...Are you building anything?
Not yet. I have some soft-spot favourites but looks like there is lots of enthusiasm & resources into this event already. Hopefully the boys will return home bearing 'gifts & tall tales' from the Phoenix Q40 race end-Feb.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:43 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Not yet. I have some soft-spot favourites but looks like there is lots of enthusiasm & resources into this event already. Hopefully the boys will return home bearing 'gifts & tall tales' from the Phoenix Q40 race end-Feb.
Lol...a little birdy told me there may something available there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:12 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,684 Posts
Only a little building tonight. My laptop monitor took a dive so I spent a bit of time on that (it runs my laser) and the rest of the time I spent drawing plans for a customers EF-1 project. Bad news not much work on my stuff, good news is there is another EF-1 kit in the works!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:37 PM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
To those who needed a model of the Turnigy 35-42 motor and the 35-48. These are in iges format. If someone needs something different, please let me know.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Iceman67 is online now Find More Posts by Iceman67
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:22 PM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
753 Posts
Can some tell me how to calculate how fast an rc r-plane is going?in simple easy to understand terms? I would would like to know how fast on elec. and glow.

I was looking at the radar guns they sell in the MA mags. Are they accurate? If so I will get one.I need something asap, the bossman wants to how fast his stuff is going..

If the radar gun is not really effective, I need something I can print out and take with me to the field so we can figure it all out.
jimmy.p.
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pathfinder; Feb 10, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:50 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,008 Posts
Here's what you want:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725587
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2009
137 Posts
Seems like limiting the prop to a spec size and limiting the current along with wing area with a reasonable minimum weight would be the best way to limit performance and cost.

With all of the current and former electrical engineers in the sport, it would be simple to design a very cheap in line current limiter for use in the class. The device would be ‘spec’ as would the connectors. At events they would be handed out to all racers and turned back in after the event – top three finishers would have theirs checked after the race – each could have a serial number. We used to do similar tings in auto racing with both waste valves and air restrictors.

They would of course be available for purchase, as we need to test/practice with them.

Enough experienced racers have commented on the ‘separate rx battery’ issue to convince me it’s worthwhile. Again, I think the class needs a minimum weight rule that will keep the need for exotic material out of the class, and therefore the weight of an extra battery and BEC would not be any kind of hardship.
cbr998 is offline Find More Posts by cbr998
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:48 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr998 View Post
With all of the current and former electrical engineers in the sport, it would be simple to design a very cheap in line current limiter for use in the class.
Limiters already exist, are well proven and used regularly in competition. They limit energy, not current as this then removes variable voltage and prop size from the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr998 View Post
I think the class needs a minimum weight rule that will keep the need for exotic material out of the class
There is a min weight for the class.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:04 AM
It's alive, alive!
Cambria, Ca
Joined Apr 2004
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSawers View Post
Limiters already exist, are well proven and used regularly in competition. They limit energy, not current as this then removes variable voltage and prop size from the equation.

There is a min weight for the class.
Perfect, limiter, minimum weight, minimum wing area. Then let 'em race. $$$ won't make as much difference.
jfseaman is offline Find More Posts by jfseaman
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:13 AM
Cagary Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
118 Posts
I thought I saw dimensions for the tail feather given in the rules for EF1. I can't find it now. Can anyone clarify this for me.
micronracer is offline Find More Posts by micronracer
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:37 AM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micronracer View Post
I thought I saw dimensions for the tail feather given in the rules for EF1. I can't find it now. Can anyone clarify this for me.
It's 70 Sq. in. minimum.
RCG Plus Member