HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:52 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,060 Posts
If you guys are worried about making this a reliable setup then I wouldn't recomend Hobbyking crap for your equipment. How many times have you herd someone say why dont they put stuff that works reliable in these kits instead of junk. I see some of you have allready been bitten by cheap lipos as well. I see a lot of people talking about there mishaps and I find it funny because your all using cheap equipment. Cheap lipos, controllers and motors going bad early on will make people quit before spending a little more for better stuff that will last. Your not going to please everyone and your not going to safegard anyone either. The rules are a good start I just dont think recomending 50 or 60 amp controllers is very wise. The cheap motors are probably not that big of a deal.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:11 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
The Rx pack issue should almost go into another discussion thread, it's been hashed out here before in HP many times. It's calculated risk and a separate Rx pack has much lower risk than the BEC on an esc. I have not run separate BEC's powered from the main flight pack, but it may come to pass that this is a good alternative as well. 50-60 amps is not "a lot" of current compared to some set ups, but if people are open to use low cost esc's and motors, I would not depend on them to be safer than separate Rx power that pulls mAh vs Amps. Remember too that the rules are a broad brush stroke that encompasses people who will be converting from gas and those who have a lot of experience with electrics. I know many electric flyers (somewhat recent glo converts) who do not know what an ameter is and don't even know how many amps they are pulling. Put the wrong size prop on a glo plane and it doesn't fly as well, put the wrong size prop on an electric and you have liquid, molten FET board.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2010, 09:11 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
The Rx pack issue should almost go into another discussion thread, it's been hashed out here before in HP many times.
Troy you are absolutely correct! I will use a separate pack 'causa I wanna play no matter what.

So to bring this back on topic, I've been doing a little building tonight......anyone else?
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:33 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,953 Posts
AT: On a scale of 1 - 10, what would you rate your Nemesis build at? Still hoping you'll turn out a couple of ARF's but I'll give building from Laser Cut parts a try if I have to
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:55 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
AT: On a scale of 1 - 10, what would you rate your Nemesis build at? Still hoping you'll turn out a couple of ARF's but I'll give building from Laser Cut parts a try if I have to
Well thats the beauty of building a laser cut kit. All of the parts are self jigging, so no plans needed really. What you see that I've done here was all built just on a flat table, then held in my hand. Pretty simple reallly. I spent a lot of time making the parts fit as good as possible. It literally snaps together like a puzzle, with the parts interlocking. I'm very happy with the way it is going together at this point.

I'm doing my best to engineer all of the hard work out of the kit. For instance with plug in wings, they can be a pain at times. My cores have the wing tube holes and the slots with the correct angles cut already for you making it pretty easy.

I'm not sure I'd reccommend it for a rank beginner builder, but as far as kits go, it's really on the easy side.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:13 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,953 Posts
Thanks for replying. I've put a couple of balsa kits together with acceptable (not great) results. I'll probably buy two of the kits though - I am prone to making at least one big mistake while assembling

I'd love to see the wing when you get to it. Sounds like I'll need to learn to sheet foam?
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:16 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
Troy you are absolutely correct! I will use a separate pack 'causa I wanna play no matter what.

So to bring this back on topic, I've been doing a little building tonight......anyone else?
PS: I want one
I am building other stuff since I have no F1 to build- hint hint anyone
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:24 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
Thanks for replying. I've put a couple of balsa kits together with acceptable (not great) results. I'll probably buy two of the kits though - I am prone to making at least one big mistake while assembling

I'd love to see the wing when you get to it. Sounds like I'll need to learn to sheet foam?
Sheeting isn't really all that difficult. I'm really only building to check parts fit at this point, but I'll do a full blown build thread showing how I do it soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:56 AM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Mark,

I understand that many have had bad experiences with HC stuff. I guess I have been lucky. All of my cheap Rhino, Zippy, and Turnigy Li-Poly's have worked as advertised. I have gotten as many as 150 cycles before noticable performance loss. I use 2S Zippy 1300's in foamy combat and we drain them to 100% capacity with no issues. I have used the Tower Pro motor/ESC/Prop combos with no issues. I have (4) Emax 2408 2800Kv $5 motors that absolutely scream and no failures. I have about (30) HXT 9gr servos that all work great. I have (4) Corona Synthesized receivers that work better than any of my JR or Futaba micro rx's. I have (2) HK 2.4 $30 radios systems that I have virtually flown out of site with 50k rpm (Turnigy 2040 4850Kv in-runner in XF8D on 3S 1050 Rhino pack) EDF and it worked just fine. I have (4) Rhino 4S 2350's that I have flown for (2) years in converted Q-500's and EF-1's and even controline stunters. No issues. I own (10) Turnigy motors and all have run as advertised. The best Charger I have is the Turnigy Accucell 8 which matches the capabilities of most high end chargers on the market.

Point here is that the EF-1 event is directed to those who not only fly electric, but those who don't as well. If you spec an event around power-systems that cost twice as much as their glow power-systems and only offer a 115-120 mph range, what do you have? The point here is that we can do it for the same price as glow and in most cases cheaper. This is the appeal to this event.

In no way am I saying that the HC stuff is the better than comperable EP components. What I am saying is that they are a great entry level low cost alternative to get people started.

As far as ESC's, I did Beta testing for Castle on the ICE 50. I used it in my EF-1 Pogo to test it's limits. I also used it's BEC to see how it would hold up. Even with the high static current, the ICE 50 performed marvelously. I will be using either a ICE 75 or Phoenix 60 for EF-1 as my ICE 50's are for my EP controline Stunters. I would say that the Turnigy plush series 60 amp ESC is also a good match for EF-1. I have flown with this in the Pogo with no issues.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Iceman67 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman67
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:05 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
770 Posts
Mark,

The Hobby King situation is just that. It is a starting point. Archie has had very good results and others have not. However, it is more good than bad at this point in time. The moral of the story is that it sufficient to get an airplane airborne and bore holes in the sky. I suspect as things develope we will have alternative power systems. Some economical and some more expensive and reliable. Until more planes are in the hands of people like you we will not know. The next couple of months will be very telling. We have new power systems from Horizon that are being tested as we speak. All that being said, the Turnigy stuff is working in the mean time. Is it the final end all be all... NO but it is where we started.

Troy, we need to talk offline.

LOVE the NEMISIS!!!!! you guys are doing awesome. By way give Chris a punch in the arm for me. And tell him it is from DK.

Dan
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:24 AM
FlipF5D
Joined Nov 2007
146 Posts
We called it Reno- Air- Race.....

hi racers,

two years ago we tried to made a class similar to yours....at the end we had no succses because we did not found enough pilots for this "fun-class!.
Our aim was,to fly 15 Rounds on a triangle course like F5D with an average speed about 200 Km/H. We copied-modified the reno rules to get the silver-gold....races. For more details I have tried to attache our rules as a PDF file.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/searc...archid=4287285

a few pictures were here:
http://www.koelleteam.de/wordpress/?...=13&gallery=52
first meeting but bad weather......

second race:
http://www.koelleteam.de/wordpress/?...=13&gallery=64

two small videos about our race planes :

P51 MUSTANG VERY LOW and FAST (4 min 4 sec)

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/423c8715...noRace-Cologne

To avoid big power set ups...we also thought about a Watt limiter but this is too complicated for beginners .....we wish you all the best for your new "fun class"

regards
Jens

www.koelleteam.de
FlipF5D is offline Find More Posts by FlipF5D
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:33 AM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,060 Posts
Guys, I think a Scorpian - Castle combo would be a good fit and only cost a little more than HK stuff. I know a lot of people have had good luck with HK but the failures are numerous as well. Its all good though to have options and I look forward to having one of these planes.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:10 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
+1 on Scorpion 30 series. 37.2mm, soooo close. I am tempted. Even that means first order from HC and first lipo, ever.

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:51 PM
It's alive, alive!
Cambria, Ca
Joined Apr 2004
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSawers View Post
There are other issues too that need to be changed (like using limiters instead of speccing motors). Doubtless the rules will be put straight pretty smartly once things are up and running so I for one can wait till then.
I like the idea of limiters. It's not too complicated and is the only way to control cheating. You will never stop 'cheating' but it is easier to police with dimensions and limits rather than specific manufacturer parts.

Spec motors can have magnets changed and can be rewound. This is how Steve Neu got started making motors, modifying Aveox (based on the old articles I read).

Better batteries means better power.

Better controller means better power.

All 'spec' motors do is create a market for the manufacturer.

Technology will be advanced if you allow use of any motor/battery/esc and just have a limiter.

$$$ always wins.
jfseaman is offline Find More Posts by jfseaman
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:52 PM
It's alive, alive!
Cambria, Ca
Joined Apr 2004
366 Posts
Sorry if any of the above was covered, I didn't read the entire thread.
jfseaman is offline Find More Posts by jfseaman