Any info on new ARF's?
DBA-FW is offline Find More Posts by DBA-FW
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2011, 07:00 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
Only Rumors. Not sure, but I MAY get one to review next month. If so, I'll post some sneak peeks like I'm doing for the Waco.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=72863

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old May 22, 2011, 06:38 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,381 Posts
I finally got my EF-1 model finished! Partly because there's a race meeting next weekend, and partly because I've run out of parts to build EDF units. It's a Cosmic Wind Minnow, the shoulder wing version of the Little Toni. Wingspan is max allowable, airfoil is a Stumax special designed for the 1/16" thick TE rule, AUW ended up about 50g over, mainly because I used an 1100mAh A123 Rx pack pushed as far back as I could get it to get the CG right, and I used an HV85 esc as it was what I had sitting around. I could possibly put a small amount of lead in the tail and go to a small 2S lipo Rx pack. The motor is the Turnigy one, and it seems to run fine, although it does get hot. Unlike everyone else, I don't like backmounting outrunners, especially for a pylon racer, due to the gyroscopic loads during the turns - I think this is responsible for the Turnigys not lasting so well, as the motor isn't all that rigid. On my Minnow, the motor is mounted to the cowl, similar to how we used to mount SP400 motors in the old days. The cowl is screwed to the fuselage into some pretty solid 1/4" aircraft ply mounts, turned out very strong. Ultimately, this method would allow getting rid of most of the nose structure which most models have hidden inside the cowl, just need enough to fix the cowl to. I use those long Allen headed servo mounting screws from RTL fasteners to attach the cowl, a pair on top halfway along and a pair on the bottom at the rear edge of the cowl. The cowl is glass, made by shaping a blue foam plug, then covering it with packaging tape and glassing it, then removing the foam & tape from inside. Lots of sanding and filling later, there's a nice cowl to reward the hard work.

I asked my 4 year old son what colour to do it and he said I have to make it look like Lightning McQueen (from the Disney Pixar movie "Cars"), so all red with decals done on a colour laser on sticky back glossy paper. Now I like it I think I'll find someone who can redo the graphics for me in glossy vinyl (anyone know someone who can do that?).

Today I took it out for test flights. I used an APCe 8x6 prop (dopey me left all the other props at home), Turnigy 40S 2650's and it seems to go very well on that setup. The model flies superbly, tracks dead straight on takeoff with very little rudder, you guys with wobbly Pogos should consider a shoulder wing model (the shoulder wing help straighten out the swirl before it strikes the fin) with a larger fin (the Pogo's fin is too small IMO). I also have a fixed tailskid which is pretty effective in keeping it tracking straight - it won't turn at all when taking. In flight it's very nice to fly, it will knife edge the FAI course but I notice it does slow down when flying that way - much faster to fly at 45deg angle of bank in the straights. It turns very well due to the swept forward wing planform, and tracks nicely in turns however the HS225 servos just don't seem precise enough on elevator, it seems a little difficult to get the exit right. It's reasonably fast even on the 8x6 prop. I set the timer on my Tx for 2 minutes, start the timer then slam the power on and it completes 10 laps a few seconds before the timer goes off, so that's 10 laps of the FAI course in just under 2 minutes. I reckon it would be at least a second per lap faster with the Eflite motor and 8x8 prop, but I think I might master this setup first. BTW, the 2 minute practise race was using up 1600mAh from the packs, which is about 60% and implies an average current draw of about 48A, so power must be about 700W. All 4 packs are brand new, they'll probably get a bit better after half a dozen runs. The model must be reasonably efficient, it glides forever (even with the prop windmilling), took a bit of getting used to esp on the first flight.

Now it's done I wouldn't mind making another fuselage with the nose 2" shorter so I can get the lipo forward of the wing and use a smaller Rx pack in a more convenient location. I'd also have a battery access hatch under the fuselage, as removing the wing is getting painful already, and leaves the door open to mistakes on race day. Not sure I want to go thru the pain of making another fuselage, though, this one was a pain, as was covering it with film. I really wish we could glass and paint out models if we want to. I'd also move the main gear back an inch or so, as it has to be landed very gently to avoid bunny hopping down the runway.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old May 22, 2011, 08:35 AM
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Mar 2006
333 Posts
Stu A big project, well done, a great looking EP F1. Congrads your maiden flight.

Ken
k.fluney is online now Find More Posts by k.fluney
Old May 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Mar 2006
333 Posts
EP F1 Minnow

innernet problems

Ken
Last edited by k.fluney; May 22, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:01 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
559 Posts
Stu,
"Ten laps of the FAI course in just under two minutes". I'm interested to know what the dimensions of your FAI course are. Are you sure you are on the FAI course?

The FAI pylon course is 586' long and 131 feet at the base. This compares to the E-F1 course of 375' long and 100 feet at the base. Typical E-F1 course times in competition on the 375' course are 1:10 to 1:15 with about 1400 mah consumed.

Some of the guys in Australia were racing on the FAI course described above and they ran their packs down so low they "puffed" them into oblivion. I think the course time was over five minutes.

Randy
Rsmith is offline Find More Posts by Rsmith
Old May 22, 2011, 02:48 PM
I Just Want to Hover!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2004
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
hmmm... Sundowner was lots slower than the only other Pogo racing (around 2 sec a lap - plane was at least 1.5 of this). However, I was using a turnigy motor, not the EFlite 25. But still used an APC 8x8E prop. I will be purchasing an Eflite motor and trying it again. We run on the FAI course (4000m for 10 laps). I puffed a 3000 4S pack in the last heat I ran it (finished the heat & landed ASAP).

Heaps better on launch... nowhere near as squirrely as the Pogo. WOT launch was fine. Speed was down so much that I reverted to my Pogo for the second half of the day (until I trashed it when the pack dumped 8 laps into the race). The pogo had the scorpion motor fitted + an 8x8E prop. Was faster than the standard pogo, but obviously drew lots more current as the 3000 4S pack dumped it's load on lap 8.

The Sundowner also drew comment on how nice a looking airframe it was. Maybe if we accommodated the larger airframe with uprated power system to match the pogo speed... could be the solution.

So, looks like the Sundowner will get 1 more attempt at racing, but I must say I think it won't be successful. I would say if I progress with EF1, I will go a Polecat kit or a Matney Models Miss Lyn kit (if Kevin will sell with the wings pre-skinned?)

We only had 2 EF1 competitors + 2 Open electric. The third EF1 didn't show.
Quite a few Q500 pilots (10 I believe). Thanks to the Host Club (IMAC) for all their help and great venue...
Bullet,

One of the pilots showed up at the last race on 5-14-11 with a Sundowner and with the following specs it was very competitive. He took 3 firsts and 2 seconds in 5 heats! He is one of the top 3 or 4 pilots. Plane is much easier to get off the ground than the Pogo and seems to land without worries as well. We had 6 pilots in all so heats of 3 planes each. The other 5 planes were Pogos.

Here are the rules we use at the club I race at. It is the club's intention to keep it at the sport pilot level.
With these specs the planes are probably flying around 70 to 80 mph.
The course is 400’ from pylon 3 to pylon 1, three pole.

FPM = Fern Prairie Modelers

“FPM Electric Formula One”: The airframe must meet the NMPRA EF1 specifications.
One readily available ARF is the Eflight LR-1A “Pogo”. Individualized color schemes are highly recommended, and the scratch building of airplanes is certainly encouraged.
(Sundowner has been added).

Mandatory Equipment for FPM EF1 racers (these rules differ from the NMPRA EF1 Rules!):
1. Motor: Only the Eflight Power 25 1250kV (#EFLM4025B)
2. ESC: Suggest the Castle Phoenix 60. The final choice is yours but do consider cooling and installation space requirements. Use of a BEC built into the ESC is not allowed to power the radio - a separate battery (at least 250 mAh size) is required.
3. Motor battery: Only the Turnigy 3-cell, 2200 mAh, 30C (peak 40) (#T2200.3S.30) is allowed.
4. Connectors: Only Deans Ultra or Sermos-style Power Pole (45 amp size) are allowed for the battery-to-ESC connection.
5. Prop: Only the APC 9x6E, (#LP09060E).

Also we use a flying start with a 2 minute window to get up and in the pattern. Alleviates planes coming together with the Pogo "left turn" on takeoff. Planes take off one at a time.

By simply changing the prop and batteries, your planes would be NMPRA EF1 legal.

Cheers,

Bill
Bill Martins is offline Find More Posts by Bill Martins
Last edited by Bill Martins; May 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Move Sundowner paragraph to the top of the post
Old May 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Mar 2007
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.fluney View Post
The Pole Cat is now manufactured by RBC Kits in the Netherlands.
Check out their web for details
is this an arf or a kit?
Stevem9 is offline Find More Posts by Stevem9
Old May 23, 2011, 09:35 AM
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
317 Posts
Kit

Toby
GermanTigger is offline Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old May 23, 2011, 09:55 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
770 Posts
Guys, I just wanted to let you all know what is going on with the NMPRA the following has been posted on the NMPRA website.

Press Release:

The NMPRA has solidified a promotional deal with Thunder Power Batteries. This deal is extended to all NMPRA members as of 5/27/11. (Therefore, if you wish to part take in this offer you must be a current NMPRA member)

Here is the Deal:

1. One time purchase of quantity 3, 4S Lipo battery packs, either TP2700-4SPP45 or TP2700-4SPP65 in any combination up to the total quantity of 3. The discount that will be applied to the purchase is 50%.

2. In addition to the 3 battery pack discount, the same NMPRA member is entitled to a one time special price on either the: a. TP820CD for $199.99. b. TP-610C for $59.99 c. TP610C-ACDC for $71.99.

3. In addition to the above scenario, if you choose to not purchase the charger you may add a 4th battery from the above listed packs at the same discount listed in point 1.

The promotion period will last for 30 days, from 6/1 to 6/30. All orders will be placed directly with Thunder Power Batteries and you are responsible for the shipping. This is a one time offer per member. Contact information and promotion codes will be released on 6/1.
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old May 23, 2011, 09:56 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
I finally got my EF-1 model finished! Stu.
Stu, Great job!!!! I love it.

DK
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old May 23, 2011, 10:33 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
559 Posts
Thunderpower Battery Promotion

Further to Dan's post about the NMPRA / Thunderpower Battery promotion, if you are not currently a NMPRA member, you can take advantage of this offer by joining the NMPRA here:

http://www.nmpra.org/benefits.htm

Randy
Old May 23, 2011, 12:14 PM
I still like to build
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Recommendations

Ok, I took the plunge and ordered a Miss Lynn kit from Matney. The racing class looks like fun (my last racing was F1 back in the mid 70's) and it seems like everybody is trying to keep the class fairly simple and inexpensive. What is hot/preferred/minimum/lightest required servo and receiver setup for these airplanes? I currently use Spektrum radio gear and Hitec servos.Thanks-
toyotadude is offline Find More Posts by toyotadude
Old May 23, 2011, 01:01 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
559 Posts
If you are using Hitec servos, the HS-85's will work fine all around in this airplane. But the new Spektrum A5030 digital servos are great solution at a great price. Any full range DSM2 receiver is fine also.

Welcome back to pylon racing. You are the target audience for this event.

Randy
Old May 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Mar 2006
333 Posts
Pole Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem9 View Post
is this an arf or a kit?
The Pole Cat is a kit, great quaility and will come out very lite. Check out RBC's website. I am building one now will put some pics on when more construction is done.

Ken