Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
To those who asked for motor mount dimensions

The Nexstar mini EP is my first RC plane, and I am enjoying learning how to fly.

I broke the motor mount in a crash (first flight, of course!). In order to repair it easily, and to help others, I created drawings for the motor mount parts and the part that holds the wing bracket.

If you want parts, check out my auction on eBay. I hope they will help to make your repairs easy!
drhatch is offline Find More Posts by drhatch
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:25 AM
Registered User
Stormdad's Avatar
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Oct 2013
23 Posts
Hello Group,

I just recently purchased the Hobbico NexStar Mini, it's my first airelon model. I have been practicing with a Flylite and am almost ready to maiden the NexStar (mini). I have a question about the location of the CG. It came out of the box with the CG marked with blue dots on the underside of the wing panels. I setup the model according to the manual. I wanted a reference to the numerical location of the CG incase the stickers come off. I set out measuring the locations of the blue dots and noticed that they are not in the same location in relation to one another. I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with verifying the correct location of the CG for this model. I used the 1/3 of wing width method for finding the CG and 1/3 back from the LE falls on the main spar. The left wing blue dot is 10mm to it's center forward of the main spar. The right blue dot is about 4.5mm forward of the spar. As of right now I have the model balanced using the dot that is 10mm forward of spar. I'm really looking forward to getting this model in the air but do not want to risk flying with the wrong CG.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stormdad is online now Find More Posts by Stormdad
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdad View Post
Hello Group,

I just recently purchased the Hobbico NexStar Mini, it's my first airelon model. I have been practicing with a Flylite and am almost ready to maiden the NexStar (mini). I have a question about the location of the CG. It came out of the box with the CG marked with blue dots on the underside of the wing panels. I setup the model according to the manual. I wanted a reference to the numerical location of the CG incase the stickers come off. I set out measuring the locations of the blue dots and noticed that they are not in the same location in relation to one another. I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with verifying the correct location of the CG for this model. I used the 1/3 of wing width method for finding the CG and 1/3 back from the LE falls on the main spar. The left wing blue dot is 10mm to it's center forward of the main spar. The right blue dot is about 4.5mm forward of the spar. As of right now I have the model balanced using the dot that is 10mm forward of spar. I'm really looking forward to getting this model in the air but do not want to risk flying with the wrong CG.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just a suggestion, thru personal experience with that model, be sure that the motor mount box is glued into the fuselage correctly. I myself, had a brand new in the box mini nexstar that the motor box wasn't properly attached. this was several years ago, however I have a friend who just recently purchased this same model and had the same issues where the motor box wasn't attached correctly to the rest of the fuselage.
If it's an option, send it back, return it and I HIGHLY suggest an e-flite apprentice over the nexstar mini.
pmatrisotto is offline Find More Posts by pmatrisotto
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:57 AM
Registered User
Stormdad's Avatar
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Oct 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatrisotto View Post
Just a suggestion, thru personal experience with that model, be sure that the motor mount box is glued into the fuselage correctly. I myself, had a brand new in the box mini nexstar that the motor box wasn't properly attached. this was several years ago, however I have a friend who just recently purchased this same model and had the same issues where the motor box wasn't attached correctly to the rest of the fuselage.
If it's an option, send it back, return it and I HIGHLY suggest an e-flite apprentice over the nexstar mini.
Thanks for the reply pmatrisotto,

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, looking at the motor box attachment to the fuse, it all looks to be solid and well attached. It has a clear down and to the right angle.
Is there something specific I should be looking for in regards to the motor box?
Do you happen to know where the CG range should be for this model?
I have heard very good things about the E-Flight Apprentice...Just moved it to the top of my wish list
Stormdad is online now Find More Posts by Stormdad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2014, 03:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Thoughts for a Beginner

I am new to RC flying and have only 40 hours of simulator time using the Nexstar EP and EP with AFS models on Real Flight RF7. Just about ready for the field and looking for a good first airplane model. How does the Nexstar compare in terms of ease of handling for a beginner with the Apprentice 15e? Thanks, Paul.
pfly2 is offline Find More Posts by pfly2
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Cocg's Avatar
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
Anybody still here?
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Cocg's Avatar
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
I got a vid to post.. (?)
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Go for it
pmatrisotto is offline Find More Posts by pmatrisotto
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:07 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfly2 View Post
I am new to RC flying and have only 40 hours of simulator time using the Nexstar EP and EP with AFS models on Real Flight RF7. Just about ready for the field and looking for a good first airplane model. How does the Nexstar compare in terms of ease of handling for a beginner with the Apprentice 15e? Thanks, Paul.
There's no comparison. the nexstar mini is junk. the apprentice is one of the BEST trainer planes available. I went thru several of the nexstar minis before giving up on them. one of them even came from tower hobbies with the motor box needing glued. I spun it up in the kitchen, the motor box disintegrated. Tower sent me a new plane as replacement.
pmatrisotto is offline Find More Posts by pmatrisotto
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 AM
Fly and let Fly!
Cocg's Avatar
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
Ohh.. Yuk... Junk.. (?) Harsh ... The opposite for me.. It is my "truck".. Ole Faithful.. Do all kinds of things with it.. Been most consistent and reliable..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM
Registered User
Stormdad's Avatar
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Oct 2013
23 Posts
The Nexstar Mini Rx-R has been discontinued as well as the ElectriFly ES50 Nano Servo's that come stock in the model, the RTF is still available. I would not go as far as to call it junk although I must admit to having a few issues with it. The motor box is certainly an area that needs to be checked and possibly strengthened. I bought this model as my first aileron trainer and I'm now teaching my daughter on it.
Tower always stands behind their products and will rectify any issues you may have.
Stormdad is online now Find More Posts by Stormdad
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:14 AM
Registered User
Stormdad's Avatar
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Oct 2013
23 Posts
As a side note to pfly2, when picking you "trainer" plane. Balsa wood is not very crash forgiving. Even a minor crash can lead to wide spread unseen structural damages. If your an experienced modeler this is not that big of a deal. I lost an aileron servo early on with my Nexstar Mini and came down rough. At first glance the damage did not look all that bad. Upon closer inspection I found that the shock from impact had effected MANY areas of the model. Had to go over every inch of the air frame repairing damaged balsa wood.
It has been my own personal experience that foam models are a bit more resilient to minor crashes and are (for the most part) easily repaired.
Stormdad is online now Find More Posts by Stormdad
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Cocg's Avatar
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
Agreed on the Foam ease of Fixing.. Mine has has a few repairs for sure.. It was my 1st .. Went right into ailerons..
Anyway.. I experimented with a Mobious camera mounted on the tail.. And had to at least try.. Sorry.. Should have kept the video shorter.. With the weight of the camera and compensated nose weight It added 4 and a half ozs.. Which helped I think make it want to roll on its axis more .. Hence the constant roll correction.. The wind was actually mild..
Hobbico Nexstar Mini RC Plane Rudder Cam Eve (2 min 28 sec)
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:58 PM
Registered User
Stormdad's Avatar
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Oct 2013
23 Posts
Very cool video Cocg, great flight, thanks for posting it!
Like the addition of the nav lights.
Couldn't ask for a nicer runway, looks like a golf course fairway.
Stormdad is online now Find More Posts by Stormdad
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Cocg's Avatar
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
It is..!! (don't tell)
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question problems with the nextstar ep mozeppa Electric Plane Talk 16 Apr 09, 2011 03:00 PM
Discussion Hobbico NexStar Mini EP -Tell Me About It Please Murocflyer Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 18 Mar 28, 2010 04:23 PM
Sold Hobbico Nexstar Mini EP, Complete RTF in BOX stepheva Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Jan 25, 2010 11:21 PM
Discussion What RX for Hobbico NexSTAR Mini EP oilfield1 Electric Plane Talk 2 Jan 20, 2010 12:57 PM
For Sale Hobbico NextStar EP minus RX & TX $250 Local Pickup - Tampa FL rhampton Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 07, 2009 08:32 PM