HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
To those who asked for motor mount dimensions

The Nexstar mini EP is my first RC plane, and I am enjoying learning how to fly.

I broke the motor mount in a crash (first flight, of course!). In order to repair it easily, and to help others, I created drawings for the motor mount parts and the part that holds the wing bracket.

If you want parts, check out my auction on eBay. I hope they will help to make your repairs easy!
drhatch is offline Find More Posts by drhatch
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:25 AM
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Hello Group,

I just recently purchased the Hobbico NexStar Mini, it's my first airelon model. I have been practicing with a Flylite and am almost ready to maiden the NexStar (mini). I have a question about the location of the CG. It came out of the box with the CG marked with blue dots on the underside of the wing panels. I setup the model according to the manual. I wanted a reference to the numerical location of the CG incase the stickers come off. I set out measuring the locations of the blue dots and noticed that they are not in the same location in relation to one another. I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with verifying the correct location of the CG for this model. I used the 1/3 of wing width method for finding the CG and 1/3 back from the LE falls on the main spar. The left wing blue dot is 10mm to it's center forward of the main spar. The right blue dot is about 4.5mm forward of the spar. As of right now I have the model balanced using the dot that is 10mm forward of spar. I'm really looking forward to getting this model in the air but do not want to risk flying with the wrong CG.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stormdad is online now Find More Posts by Stormdad
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined May 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdad View Post
Hello Group,

I just recently purchased the Hobbico NexStar Mini, it's my first airelon model. I have been practicing with a Flylite and am almost ready to maiden the NexStar (mini). I have a question about the location of the CG. It came out of the box with the CG marked with blue dots on the underside of the wing panels. I setup the model according to the manual. I wanted a reference to the numerical location of the CG incase the stickers come off. I set out measuring the locations of the blue dots and noticed that they are not in the same location in relation to one another. I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with verifying the correct location of the CG for this model. I used the 1/3 of wing width method for finding the CG and 1/3 back from the LE falls on the main spar. The left wing blue dot is 10mm to it's center forward of the main spar. The right blue dot is about 4.5mm forward of the spar. As of right now I have the model balanced using the dot that is 10mm forward of spar. I'm really looking forward to getting this model in the air but do not want to risk flying with the wrong CG.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just a suggestion, thru personal experience with that model, be sure that the motor mount box is glued into the fuselage correctly. I myself, had a brand new in the box mini nexstar that the motor box wasn't properly attached. this was several years ago, however I have a friend who just recently purchased this same model and had the same issues where the motor box wasn't attached correctly to the rest of the fuselage.
If it's an option, send it back, return it and I HIGHLY suggest an e-flite apprentice over the nexstar mini.
pmatrisotto is offline Find More Posts by pmatrisotto
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:57 AM
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatrisotto View Post
Just a suggestion, thru personal experience with that model, be sure that the motor mount box is glued into the fuselage correctly. I myself, had a brand new in the box mini nexstar that the motor box wasn't properly attached. this was several years ago, however I have a friend who just recently purchased this same model and had the same issues where the motor box wasn't attached correctly to the rest of the fuselage.
If it's an option, send it back, return it and I HIGHLY suggest an e-flite apprentice over the nexstar mini.
Thanks for the reply pmatrisotto,

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, looking at the motor box attachment to the fuse, it all looks to be solid and well attached. It has a clear down and to the right angle.
Is there something specific I should be looking for in regards to the motor box?
Do you happen to know where the CG range should be for this model?
I have heard very good things about the E-Flight Apprentice...Just moved it to the top of my wish list
Stormdad is online now Find More Posts by Stormdad
Old Feb 08, 2014, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Thoughts for a Beginner

I am new to RC flying and have only 40 hours of simulator time using the Nexstar EP and EP with AFS models on Real Flight RF7. Just about ready for the field and looking for a good first airplane model. How does the Nexstar compare in terms of ease of handling for a beginner with the Apprentice 15e? Thanks, Paul.
pfly2 is offline Find More Posts by pfly2