HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:40 PM
Jacksonville Il
Joined Sep 2010
8 Posts
Good news. I took a chance and took my ni cad heli charger and spent some time bein slow and careful but milked my nexstar batteries to point they would charge. I'm glad it actually worked. Now I might get lucky and end up with 4 batteries I put battery in plane and tested it all and it works. I drove it around to make sure it was doin ok. Although my motor is mounted a tad to the right which scares me a lil lol. I am really nervous for my first flight but hopefully ill get time this week to get it done and without breaking it.
09LancerGuy is offline Find More Posts by 09LancerGuy
Last edited by 09LancerGuy; Oct 11, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:10 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
The motor points down and to the right - it's ok...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
Jacksonville Il
Joined Sep 2010
8 Posts
ok good cuz i got a lil worried about it. Well got my new batteries today and since i got low volt ones to charge ive got 4 now. Gonna try to go out tomorrow for its maiden flight. Hopefully i dont crash it specially since ill have 4 batteries i can fly with. Ill post on how it goes!!!
09LancerGuy is offline Find More Posts by 09LancerGuy
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Guys, a few questions on the Mini Ep.

I just ordered one this week, to hopefully advance my flying skills. I currently fly a Radian Glider and a Hobizone Champ, so do have some of the basics down.

1) Has anyone put cooling holes in the nose cowl to keep the motor cool? It just seems weird that nothing is there other than the area around the nose cone. Or is that the point in getting air over the motor?

2) I know ahead of time that I will be putting on slightly larger foam wheels and will beef up the nose gear area to take a harsher landing. Based on what others have written, have any of you installed an Aluminum main gear assembly instead of using the polymer one. if not, suggestions on beefing up the polymer one?

3) Should the tail be glued in?

4) Can I cut off the plastic ST plug (off of the BEC control) and insert a new plastic EC3 connector on instead. Asked another way, does the ST and EC3 battery plugs use identical sized terminals?

5) Any other areas that should be reinforced a bit? Some have said the flexible wing mount (in the fusealge) could use a little.

Thanks in advance.
ghueser is offline Find More Posts by ghueser
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:36 PM
Craig
Los Angeles, CA.
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Yesterday on my 4th flight with my Nexstar Mini EP, in Winds, right before landing, the plane Dove to the left and bumped the nose cone in the wet grass. When I picked it up and finished wiping the mud off the nose cone, I noticed the Wing was pulled out, the tiny little screws which holds both wings together, one side and pulled out, the Tiny screw tore out of the Balsa. The weird thing is, that wing never touched the ground.

So I then pushed the wing back into the plastic center brace, and screwed that little screw about 1/2 inch away from the original hole to hold the wing in.

On the following flight, I took off nicely but when I banked right, the plane suddenly felt like something was wrong, so I flew it around to land it it, but on the turn to the final approach to land it, the plane suddenly banked hard and dove straight down, just as it did on the previous landing, but this time it was not 5 feet off the ground. It was at least 40 feet up. Luckily the plane never hit the ground in the Crash LOL, because it landed into a Bush type of tree. Which only broke one side of the tail, and ripped about a 1/2 inch hole in the wing, (barely can see the rip).

Again that same side of the wing which pulled out the first time, pulled out again, ripping that tiny screw out of the balsa.

My question is, what do you guys recommend as a way to reinforce how the Wings connect to each other inside that plastic brace. Those 2 tiny screws are not enough to hold the wing together, especially in winds, when it turn. I believe the winds must have been too strong.

Also when you guys say how you bump up the Dual Rates or the Expo 50% or 70%, what does bumping it up mean? is it + or - . I am using a Spektrum DX8.
brosho is offline Find More Posts by brosho
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:53 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
275 Posts
brosho...

1st sorry to hear about your experiences with the nexstar mini... I love teaching people to fly with mine. My 8 year old son now flies it all alone.

It's a good rule of thumb anytime you are putting screws into balsa to drop a few drops of medium CA down in the hole.

What i do is put the screw in... Then back it out and add the CA then put the screw back.

I would at least do this to your wing. Before doing that... I would open it up and make sure there is no balsa damage to that area. You could even glue the wing to the center spar if necessary.

as far as expo... I do not fly spektrum... but on my hitec aurora9 it's - (negative) expo to slow down the servo movement near center stick.

Hope that helps.
Jlsknight
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:11 PM
Craig
Los Angeles, CA.
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
jlsknight

Thanks for the Info. I will try to glue it and maybe find some strong clear tape and tape the wings together across the center spar, on the under side of the wing so the tape would not be visible on the top wing.

Interesting how you said that Negative Expo on your transmitter slows down the servo movement, and on my Futaba Surface radio (3PK) Negative Expo also slow it down, but from reading the manual to my new DX8 it says that + Positive Expo slows it down. Interesting how between manufacturers it is different.

I have already flown my Nexstar mini 4 times before the crash, and I like it a lot. I was given a Nexstar Nitro, with only 1 flight on it. Pro NBA Laker Star Lamarr Odom, Cousin gave it to me with lots of flying equipment, but I did not want to risk crashing that plane, so I purchased the mini ep to practice with first before flying the Nitro.

One thing for sure, since I crashed it, I will no longer worry so much about crashing it again. LOL
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:31 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosho View Post
Yesterday on my 4th flight with my Nexstar Mini EP, in Winds, right before landing, the plane Dove to the left and bumped the nose cone in the wet grass. When I picked it up and finished wiping the mud off the nose cone, I noticed the Wing was pulled out, the tiny little screws which holds both wings together, one side and pulled out, the Tiny screw tore out of the Balsa. The weird thing is, that wing never touched the ground.

So I then pushed the wing back into the plastic center brace, and screwed that little screw about 1/2 inch away from the original hole to hold the wing in.

On the following flight, I took off nicely but when I banked right, the plane suddenly felt like something was wrong, so I flew it around to land it it, but on the turn to the final approach to land it, the plane suddenly banked hard and dove straight down, just as it did on the previous landing, but this time it was not 5 feet off the ground. It was at least 40 feet up. Luckily the plane never hit the ground in the Crash LOL, because it landed into a Bush type of tree. Which only broke one side of the tail, and ripped about a 1/2 inch hole in the wing, (barely can see the rip).

Again that same side of the wing which pulled out the first time, pulled out again, ripping that tiny screw out of the balsa.

My question is, what do you guys recommend as a way to reinforce how the Wings connect to each other inside that plastic brace. Those 2 tiny screws are not enough to hold the wing together, especially in winds, when it turn. I believe the winds must have been too strong.

Also when you guys say how you bump up the Dual Rates or the Expo 50% or 70%, what does bumping it up mean? is it + or - . I am using a Spektrum DX8.
3M extreme tape is very good. You may not need something that strong.
Just curious how much you've flown not trying to criticize just help me and you.
When turning be aware whats up wind and down wind (tell me to hush if you know all this) Turning downwind needs more throttle, some up elevator and keep it a gentle turn. Getting straight and level quickly. The wind probably caught the plane underneath in the turn causing a stall. A weakened mount would do the same. I would go to your LHS and see what ideas they have to strengthen the mounting area. Some rare earth magnets my help.

Best of luck and go slow on the Big one
My mini is on it's way from TH.

Wolve
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:53 PM
Craig
Los Angeles, CA.
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Wolve

I am Still Learning to fly, my landings are still shaky. I have flown the Mini a total of 6 times. I have flown my friend plane several times also, I never landed his, he would just hand me the controller, and I would hand it back and he would land it. I have practiced with the simulator quite a bit.

Maybe the plane did stall, because I was gradually pulling back on the throttle as I neared approach. Thanks for the help, and trust me, I am very humble, when it comes to learning things like this, I do not have a Ego. lol I already know I suck. lol
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:43 AM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosho View Post
Wolve

I am Still Learning to fly, my landings are still shaky. I have flown the Mini a total of 6 times. I have flown my friend plane several times also, I never landed his, he would just hand me the controller, and I would hand it back and he would land it. I have practiced with the simulator quite a bit.

Maybe the plane did stall, because I was gradually pulling back on the throttle as I neared approach. Thanks for the help, and trust me, I am very humble, when it comes to learning things like this, I do not have a Ego. lol I already know I suck. lol
One thing that helped me was to understand air speed and ground speed.
Take off into the wind and just as an example lets say the wind is 10 mph and your plane goes 10 mph. Your air speed is 20 mph. If flying down wind at 10 mph in a 10 mph you have no airspeed they cancel out and you crash. Simple example. Here is a link to a You tube video that shows the basic principle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckz-A...eature=related

Now imagine trying to fly the other direction. Here at least the plane "flew" go the other way and you are stuck to the ground

Wolve
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Last edited by Wolveslayr; Dec 30, 2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: video
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:42 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr View Post
Now imagine trying to fly the other direction. Here at least the plane "flew" go the other way and you are stuck to the ground

Wolve
You can make the turn - the plane doesn't know the speed of the wind. It's maintaining 50mph of airspeed in the video - the plane does not know anything about the ground not moving underneath it. When you turn, you will still have 50mph of airspeed - when you add this to the 50mph wind, you get a 100mph ground speed. For maximum fun - combine high wind with a fast plane - you'll go 200mph in one direction, and 50 in the other - landings are tricky.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:49 PM
Craig
Los Angeles, CA.
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Thanks for the Info. I also think I may have been across the wind for too long when on my approach to land into the wind?

Here is another Question. I purchased the new DX8 transmitter, and when I was reading the manual, it says to only use Digital Servos with the 11ms speed and use the 22ms speed with Analog Servos. What type of Servos are the ones which came with the Nexstar mini eps? And will I ruin the Servos since the DX8 was already set up for the 11ms speeds?
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
The 11ms speed setting doesn't actually do anything unless you're using one of the high-end receivers: AR7100, AR7100R, AR9000, AR9100, JR R921, R922, R1221, R1222 - those support the higher frame rate.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:30 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
275 Posts
Hello all..

Getting rid of my Nexstar Mini... If anyone needs one or knows... Need to move this... I have a 30CC gas that i need to finish

LINK
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:09 PM
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
United States, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Love the Mini!

I have this plane and love it. It is my first plane and have only had one minor little bump on the ground that messed up the landing gear. BUT! I learned how to fix it. Some five minute epoxy and balsa wood from the store fixed it all up. With all that I have had at least 10+ flights now and am getting used to windy conditions in S. Texas. I never used the airbrakes and I ditched the extra airfoils after the 5th flight. So it gives me more excitement.

I also bought the 1800mAh (3 of them from Towerhobbies) and they give you so much more time. I bought them because they had the same plug so I didn't have to changed those out. They add some extra weight so I felt them slow me down a little bit, but it helps out with control. My next goal is to put a camera facing forward in it. I might have some balance issues, but I am working on it.

I have also tore up the prop a bit, and will be getting another one. But not a slow flyer one because it's time to start pushing this plane to be faster (and more fun hopefully).

But here is a question, it has a 9x6, but can I put a more powerful prop on it? Any suggestions??? Thanks for any response!

This is an awesome plane...
wjohnson1186 is offline Find More Posts by wjohnson1186