HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:47 AM
Orlando FL
Joined Mar 2010
6 Posts
I have this plane and I am a new pilot. The plane is very fast and has a lot over control for a beginner. The person who has been instructing me has said he would not recommend this plane for a beginner. If your TX has a 1/2 rate switch then it would be much easier to fly. The Tx that came with the RTF version does not. I am planning on getting a DX6i to solve this problem. I have lost control and crashed it several times but I have found it is easy enough to repair.
optics_Al is offline Find More Posts by optics_Al
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:25 PM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
Adding to my previous: I managed to sneak in two quick flights before it got too dark finally this evening. And it flies (and lands, and takes off) fine on the aluminum gear with which I replaced the standard gear. Seems to make a bit more sense with the heavier (2250 mAh) batteries I'm flying with, too--less droop when you touch the runway. But you do have to put it down a bit more carefully, as there's less give, as well.

(The flying last thing before sunset thing seems to work out really well for this thing--it's generally calmer around here, then. But then it gets hard to see. Starting to think about adding lights...)
AJ Milne is offline Find More Posts by AJ Milne
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:17 PM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
I slipped out this eve with it again, in the calm after a rain, went through four (2.2 Ah) batteries (showed up with three charged; recharged the first while flying the next two), probably spent an hour in the air. Managed some barrel rolls, inside loops, for the first time outside the simulator.

Landing on the aluminum gear does seem palpably harder. I knocked the battery compartment cover off a few times. But it really does seem to make takeoffs easier. There was this bouncing thing happening during takeoffs with the original stuff on the slightly bumpy bit of trail I'm using for a runway--the aluminum gear doesn't do that as noticeably--not sure if it's really a huge difference in real difficulty or it's just less unnerving, with the plane looking more steady.

It's a really fun little plane, once you get used to it.
AJ Milne is offline Find More Posts by AJ Milne
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:49 PM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
I agree with your comment on the landing gear, I went to larger tires so it would roll easier thru the grass after trying a trial run, plus a rubber band stretched between the axles to hold the landing gear together due to it's tendancy to squat. I maidened the mini tonight. A bit to windy for my limited experience, but I got it up after 2 attempts. The plane rolls right after lift off, my ailerons are dead on for adjustment, so I think my lateral balance is off. When I landed the plane, it came in nice and flat, maybe too flat because when it touched down it flipped and the nose wheel came off-axle collar going on now. Upon further inspection, the upper screws that hold the steering gear on, under the cowl, had come out. Looking forward to attempt #2!
lumpy
lumpy649 is offline Find More Posts by lumpy649
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
I just put mine together today. I'll probably seek help on the maiden. I have several hours on a Slow Stick and an hour or two on a Micro Cub. Wanted something with ailerons that handles wind a little better. Hope she's not too fast for me.Set the DR on my DX7 to 70%. Should I go lower? There's a paved runway at the flying field but I've been flying a lot at a soccer field 1/2 mile from home. Will I need larger wheels for grass?
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:31 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
271 Posts
MWShelton...

Grass will be tough, i have found that the landingear on this bird is VERY Flexible... I fly off of concrete and actually put larger wheels and a smaller one on the front to get the nose down.

70% rates sound good... My first flight had 60%... It will fly nice and slow with the speed brakes on...

Dont let the bouncy landing freak ya out...

This little plane can take it...
J
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:44 AM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
Hi all, does anybody here have a suggestion for an aftermerket motor mount for the mini? On my 4th flight I did a hard dive into the dirt and the plywood mount is beyond repair. Replacement fuselage only is available (mid july). I don't want to wait that long.
Thanks,
lumpy
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:46 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
271 Posts
Lumpy...

Try this... I didn't measure or anything... But have used these motor mounts before. Should work... Just adjust your CG after... It may add alittle more weight.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLCL3&P=SM
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:55 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
Maidened my mini Nexstar today, NICE! Never could get the CG right using the recomended 1200 3S battery so I put an 1800 3S in it. Even with that she was a little tail heavy but nothing I couldnt handle. I have a couple of 2200 3S's and I'm gonna try one of them next. The controls were quick after flying a Slow Stick but nothing tricky or unexpected. Didnt realize I had my DX7 on high rates til after I landed LOL. Very nice airplane and I hope she teaches me a lot.
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:12 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
271 Posts
Congrats MWShelton....

Enjoy your nexstar...
Old Jun 26, 2010, 05:29 AM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
Hi all, I need some advice on the mini as it is the first aileron plane I have flown. I'm having control issues mostly with using the ailerons ( i'm a rookie with this bird). Is there a preferred way I should train using them? I was thinking I could decrease the percentage of dual rates on the ailerons and gradually bring the rate up, or would I be better off softening the right stick using expoentials, or should I limit the throws more, basically using the plane as a 3 channel with a little use of the ailerons. I'm programing with a 7c 2.4 Tx.
Thanks,
lumpy
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:30 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Usually people fly the other way around, primarily 3-channel (aileron, elevator, throttle) with a little bit of rudder to balance it out. Because of that, 3-channel trainers have always bothered me to a degree, because they don't teach someone how to use one of the primary controls of most planes.

Use the ailerons to roll a little to the side, then turn by pulling up a little on the elevator. To stop turning stop pulling up on the elevator and roll back to level flight. Start out up high with less of a banking angle to get a feel for it first. Think of it as vectored forces the sum of which correspond to how the plane flies.

When the plane rolls to the side it will tend to want to dive a little because the lift generated by the wings is pulling up at an angle instead of up relative to the ground. Pulling up on the elevator can counter this as well as increase the turning rate of the plane.

To practice, do circles and figure-8s while trying to keep the plane's flight path flat and level with the ground. Again, start out up high.

As for the throws, I would start out at the recommended amount and go from there.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Jun 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:57 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
271 Posts
I agree with Wrend...

Try for less than 40% movement on the low rate on the ailerons... You might also dial in some expo to slow down the movement at the center of the stick.

My 8 Year old son flys this plane on buddy box. He only flys with aileron and elevator. I get the plane in the air... and about 3 mistakes high for him and hit the switch. He started out only doing large ovals... now doing figure 8's pretty well.

If you keep the airfoil extensions on.. the plane will bank left and right nice and slow... those things will help keep it from rolling.

My 2 cents... Change expected
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:34 PM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
Thanks, Wrend & jlsknight for the input, as I was thinking the opposite of what I should be doing. Tomorrow night I'm going to a club that has training only on Tuesday. Should be interesting. I visited them over the weekend when they had a Fly In, great planes and demonstrations by Team Futaba, and others. The club is RCCR out of Rochester, NY

lumpy
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:28 AM
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
Not sure if this thread is dead or not but here we go

I recently nose dived into the ground and the motor mount disinigrated

will try to rebuild instead of replacing the entire fuse which is not needed

looked at the motor mount mentioned earlier but it seems to be a bit larger then needed also worried about added weight

can someone please send the all measurements of the motor mount from the firewall (top, bottom, left, right, and front)

seems like an easy rebuild but need the measurements to get everything right. Not sure if the right thrust angle and down angle are built into the firewall or the mount itself

Please help me out guys Please
Chubs is offline Find More Posts by Chubs