alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:14 PM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
Anybody know where I can get a cowlfor this palne....tower says they are out until late march?
oilfield1 is offline Find More Posts by oilfield1
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:33 PM
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
I ordered one and am going to try it this week. I'm interested to see how the speed brakes do. I put speed brakes on another plane and had problems with them. I'll report back.
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:16 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
266 Posts
My LHS says this thing is junk... Looking for more opinions... This was a great review...

Looking for something for my son to learn on... I plan on buddy boxing with a DX6 setup.

Thoughts?
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:48 PM
Joined May 2009
167 Posts
CAN ANYone comment on flight times with the provided battery with good throttle management? will this hold a bigger battery for longer flight times.. thanks. looks like a winner for sure..
tvwatcher is offline Find More Posts by tvwatcher
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:01 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher View Post
CAN ANYone comment on flight times with the provided battery with good throttle management? will this hold a bigger battery for longer flight times.. thanks. looks like a winner for sure..
+1

Would like to know if a 3s 2200mah would fit.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:32 PM
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
This plane is too fast for me. Im used to SC's and Apprentice. Im going to put on the brakes and see if that helps although some knowledgeable people have said that they wont slow it down. I'll get back on the outcome.
I broke the dowel hardware inside the wing so I'm going to use stong tape to hold the wings together. I dont want to epoxy. I prefer a weaker link
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:12 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Nope this plane if far from junk, it flys terrific, love its wind penetration, but yep it has some speed defintely, seasoned flyers will enjoy this. This ones high on my list for a super sport flyer even tho a high wing...never elected to use the speed brakes and might help slo things a tad...

The ship I'm enjoying now tho is the Eflite Alpha 450 Sport, not as fast as the mini, in low winds exceptional handling, easier to fly, and it lands very well on the grass as well as take off giving the flyer loads of room to practice. Tho a triffle faster than the Super Cub, is perhaps the better next step plane, great first ship with ailerons. Raw novice will fair better with an instructor as ailerons can be abit more responsive.

The Mini wins in the wind department, those use to flying in heavier breezes it handles over 12 MPH with ease, also the Alpha 450 as well, but the mini penetrates far better.

Easy to land the Alpha 450 wins, you can flare it several times coming in, and it deadsticks with ease...love them both...newbies might take a look at the Alpha 450 tho first...just my two cents...BEST ..<>..

Added Note, on the stock battery believe flight times at medium throttle are around 8 minutes, I fly slightly below that, fortunately have several batterys at or near this size, instead of using a larger battery, find an extra set or two will give plenty of flight time...

Also, as a first plane this one is speedy, will require turns to keep a good view on this slightly small model, covers territory quickly, but with a seasoned flyer and buddy box defintely in range for a beginner, note some find the Super Cub boring after only a few flights, then this puppie is definitely for them ! However save the headaches and please find an experience pilot.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Apr 18, 2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:15 AM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
I have the Mini and is is a nice plane....very easy to fly,however i have lost the radio twice causing me to crash....Im switching it over to my DX7 an a 6200 tx system that I use to fly my helis....The only other dowwnfall I can see to this plane is that the parts I need have been on backorder since January(Cowl,Spinner)
oilfield1 is offline Find More Posts by oilfield1
Old May 25, 2010, 09:36 PM
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Crashed :(

Well, I ventured out on my own, 3rd time out, lost orientation of the plane and it crashed hard. the wing mount broke out of the fuselage. I had been flying with an instructor at the local club, but not tonight :-(

I got to looking at the wing mount piece of wood and we think that we can make a new one. Can anyone with this plane provide close up pictures and measurements of the wing mount inside the plane? Also what type of wood is that wing mount made of, balsa, basswood or what? The prop also broke. Tower hobbies has them listed as available late jun. Is there an alternative prop that I could use?

I noticed that hobbico doesn't provide schematics or technical drawings for this plane??
Has anyone had any luck with the crash guarantee thru hobbico?

Please let me know.
thanks
pmatrisotto is offline Find More Posts by pmatrisotto
Old May 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1 Posts
beginner

I HAVE NO REAL EXPERIENCE ,CAN i FLY THIS?
hscottmhorn is offline Find More Posts by hscottmhorn
Old May 28, 2010, 09:58 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
I do not recommend starting with a balsa model, rarther you should start with a foamy like an Easystar or Supercub.

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old May 29, 2010, 08:59 AM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
Just adding my experience of this thing:

Speaking as a beginner, I found it a very nice flyer, but yes, as a balsa/build-up, if you put it down hard, you'll have work to do.

As to how easy it is to fly: I got my first four takeoffs and landings done on it, on a nice, still evening, with mostly just a lot of sim time (and a few flights at the field with an instructor on a larger NexStar glow--more below) previously for practice.

... aaaand the next day, very pleased by this, and getting ahead of myself, I tried flying it in rather closer quarters at a baseball field, it caught a gust I wasn't ready for, and I wound up smacking it into a lighting standard some 20 feet from the ground, and then spent most of the next week gluing stuff back together. (Fortunately, I have a lot of experience and gear from building and rebuilding free flight models, my previous bad habit). It's flying very happily again, now, anyway, following this work, anyway...

Notes:

-- yes, it's an *incredibly* slow flyer with the speed brakes on. Doing a low pass at low throttle, you figure you could probably safely reach out and tap the wing with your hand (no, I haven't--and seriously, don't you try this either... but it does just seem to hang there).

-- as others have noted, the built in gear is very soft. With a 2250 mAh battery in, it bows down a bit more still.

-- you need either a hard surface or *very* short (better: trampled by soccer players) grass to do a ground takeoff--there's little clearance on the prop.

-- like all small electrics, it's very sensitive to wind. If you're relatively new at this, wait for a very still day to take this thing out. A few km/h of gusts, and you'll need to be far more alert and capable of adjusting than you're likely to be as a beginner.

-- putting it all back together after you've dinged a wing and mashed in the nose with CA, epoxy, and a few scraps of leftover balsa and Monokote is obviously possible if you're used to this kind of thing, but somewhat tedious.

-- the tiny little electric motor has surprising power if you're ready with the throttle, but is still incredibly quiet at low speeds.

I got it because I've a full size glow NexStar and was really having a hard time scheduling time with instructors at the local clubs. Figured between a few sessions with them on the big glow and some 30 hours sim time I could probably get it into the air, augment my training time that way. And that has worked out, tho' I've also, as reported, been augmenting my rebuilding time.

Other notes: I've since added aluminum gear with 1-1/4 ultralight wheels (it still balances fine with that change). But can't report how well that works out as yet in the air--just did that, haven't flown it since. Will report when it's airborne again.

Additional notes: mine was the RxR; I'm flying it with a Futaba 7c and an R617FS.
AJ Milne is offline Find More Posts by AJ Milne
Old May 29, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2010
543 Posts
I have more time on this little guy then any of my other planes. Once you get used to the fact it's touchy it's a wonderful plane. It loves to slow fly, but you can still zip around with it
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:16 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
266 Posts
Well... Broke over and bought one... LOVE IT.

Took <20 minutes to put together... Flew it this weekend. Getting the CG required multiple tries... But FLYS great!

1 flight with the speed breaks on... 2nd... They were off

What a great beginner plane.

I use a Aurora 9 and Optima 7 rx