SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:13 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Discussion
New Avitron with 0.6g 2.4ghz RX

Well this bird has been in discussion in the Ornithopter forum or some time. I believe it is manufactured by the Son of the "Tim Bird" inventor.
I can't wait for it's release just not only because of the way it flys etc but the mechanisms used to make this bird look quite interesting indeed!

Anyway heres a video of the Avitron with a view of the internal parts.
I'm particularly interested in the 2.4ghz 0.6g RX and the gearboxed motor (Looks to be 6mm?)

This bird has been in production for some time and should be released very soon.

Avitron, the first bionic bird (4 min 46 sec)
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:54 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
That thing looks really complicated, in a good way.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:18 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,060 Posts
I'll go look for the discussion in the orni forum. I wonder how they were able to patent a planetary gearbox, also that steering mechanism has been around for a long time, no need to patent it...
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:48 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
I'm interested in the RX but i have a feeling that it's only Bang Bang steering, i also wonder if theres any hidden channels on the RX!
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:42 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
I'm interested in the RX but i have a feeling that it's only Bang Bang steering, i also wonder if theres any hidden channels on the RX!
I'm certain there won't be any hidden channels, not with the quoted weight of the receiver. From the video it is certainly bang-bang. I guess I'll just keep on flying my Vamp...
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:16 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I have a bunch of the Timm ornithopters, and thought about doing that to one of them, but the gear box was a problem. They seem to have come up with a good solution and at a superb weight. The rubber-powered model weighs 18 grams (twice as much!) and it flies great.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:09 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I took the granddaughters out to dinner and then to the local K-Mart. I found the Vamp there for $30, and snagged one. It flies pretty good (I would like to lower the angle of the tail a bit, but it is glued in) and for a long time. I put on a scale and it tips the scale at 12 grams. That is 1/3 the rubber powered model's weight.

It is a little tough to flt in the living room, but it is a kick outside. The Mocking birds hate it...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor