Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:57 AM
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2008
1,214 Posts
Discussion
Dremel tool...which one do you like?

I want to get a Dremel hand drill.

So many options out there. Which one you guys like?

Corded? Or the new corless Lithium Ion one they're selling?

Any must have accessories?

Thanks in advance.
slappySF is offline Find More Posts by slappySF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:13 PM
Roger
United States, NY, Irvington
Joined Dec 2007
14 Posts
Depending on your budget, I'd actually recommend a Proxxon - they tend to be of higher quality construction than the Dremels. After owning a few Dremels I got http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-28512-.../dp/B000S5KO3K with http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-38704-.../dp/B0017NP2SO . I find the smaller, lighter rotary tool easier to use.
caplan is offline Find More Posts by caplan
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:38 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Actually the cheap chinese ones are currently meeting my needs. Less than ten dollars each on sale in a plastic case with acessories. More torque than my old dremels by far as well. The additional torque is useful as the cardinal rule is to never load these high speed brush type ac motors down. Unless you like the magic smoke.

I like cordless tools but the batteries will die after awhile. The cheapies do what needs done for me. Light hobby duties should not wear it out very quickly either as the chinese ones I got seem built for a little heavier service.

The premium for dremel may no longer be justified.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:42 PM
Yeppoon Queensland
Joined Oct 2009
242 Posts
I have had three dremel tools and wont ever buy another. I think they are overated and not as good as some of the other tools of similar size. I now have a rotary tool (a Rhino?) like the Dremel but a little bigger in diameter. It is super for sanding and cutting with the cut-off wheels including the diamond disks.
For the small Carbide cutters and burrs, I use a pneumatic tool that looks like a thick pencil. It's about 6" long x 5/8" dia. The air hose connects at the top end and the exhaust is also at the top end. It has lots of torque for its size and spins at 58000 rpm. Best of all, it always remains cool in your hand and if it stalls, it can't be damaged or "burnt out". It runs on 90 psi air pressure and can get into places the dremel cant. The air hose is about 6 feet long and is the same dia. as the air brush hose. It's very light and easy to use. It's my most favored tool to use, second to my lathe

Joe
Joe'n Kody is offline Find More Posts by Joe'n Kody
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
[. It runs on 90 psi air pressure and can get into places the dremel cant. The air hose is about 6 feet long and is the same dia. as the air brush hose. It's very light and easy to use. It's my most favored tool to use, second to my lathe

Joe[/QUOTE]

How many cfm @ 90 psi are required to run it?
Alpha35 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha35
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:03 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,209 Posts
My vote is for the good old corded model. That would currently be the current model 300 for a cheaper option or the 4000 if this is to be your multi year baby.

My own model 350 has been serving me for well over 20 years now. I bought a set of brushes at the time and have not had any need to install them. Although I have to admit the bearings are starting to sound like they are looking for some tag team buddies to take over. But if I open the unit up and find a way to stick a drop of oil in them likely they'll run for another 10 years.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:08 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha35 View Post

How many cfm @ 90 psi are required to run it?
Mine takes about 2cfm if I remember correctly, but I use my Proxxon WAY more often.

If I had to pick one over the other, the Proxxon would win.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:06 PM
Yeppoon Queensland
Joined Oct 2009
242 Posts
My super air tool has no brand name on it or any info on air requirements. I bought it from a "tender center" here in Rockhampton. It was brand new in its carry case. An educated guestimate for air consumption would be about 6 cubic feet of air per minute as a minimum requirement. It's the best tool ever.

Joe
Joe'n Kody is offline Find More Posts by Joe'n Kody
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:17 PM
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2008
1,214 Posts
Thanks gang! Doing more homework....
slappySF is offline Find More Posts by slappySF
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2003
209 Posts
I have never had a problem with Dremel rotary tools. They are designed for light use and that's what I give them.

I wouldn't buy a model that didn't have speed control. Mine has a thumb wheel that takes the rpm from almost zero to whatever. For my use the tools with low and high settingl don't have nearly the flexibility of one with a good speed control. I only use the dremels on models and don't deal well with a cord, so I recommend a cordless unless you plan to use it in a fixed position only, such as a drill press. You can break a lot of delicate things with a cord.

I respect other opinions but this is my experience.

Frank
F.Littleton is offline Find More Posts by F.Littleton
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:03 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I have an ancient corded dremel. No speed control. If it died tomorrow, I'd get one with speed control, corded. Probably cheap chinese clone as I only use it for light duty. I can't imagine buying a battery powered one.

For heavier duty, I have a 3" pneumatic grinder that works well. Joe's air tool sounds similar though I'm picturing it as smaller than mine. Mine works on 90 psi @ 4.5 CFM. Unfortunately, it runs my compressor pretty much continuously so I use it with a 50' hose (and keep the compressor farther away...).
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
I had the bearing wear out on mine after 15 years of abuse ; only way to fix that using dremel parts was to buy a new rotor at a price that was not economical.

Buying a new one depends on price and here in ireland they are too expensive.
And one reason i am puting off replacing is that i now use a 12volt tool i once got at a trade show for about 10 euro.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:11 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,627 Posts
I have a Dremel MultiPro Variable Speed, Model 395 (corded), that, used in conjuction with a nice assortment of bits and sanders, does a great job of handling all my shop needs. I use this with the Dremel portable Drill Press. The other Dremel tool I use ALL the time is one of the old Moto Shop saws, Model 57-2; have used these three Dremel offering for many years on lots of modeling and craft items. No problems to speak of.

Cheers,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
My Dremel tool is more then 25 years old and going strong. It has variable speed and is corded. No doubt there is better rotary tools out there, however I've had good luck with mine and certainly would buy another if mine ever died.

I have an air compressor, but would hate to have to turn this on and pump up pressure just to use a rotary tool.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:57 PM
NE Ohio
Joined Dec 2004
494 Posts
My corded Dremel is also over 25 years old. I found a foot speed control for a sewing machine in a garage sale so it is now variable speed. It uses the old fashioned colets due to the high speed. I have 2 battery Dremels, both 2 speed with nicad batteries (not the new lipo), and about 8 years old. I use the 3 jaw chuck on them because the RPM's are lower and I like being able to change bits quickly. The freedom from the cord is worth its weight in gold. Just my 2c worth.

Don
Don@HomeHobbies is offline Find More Posts by Don@HomeHobbies