Or is there any difference.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:52 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Not really. Most plane esc's have a governor mode which can be enabled (via programming) for use mostly for helis, and sometimes on variable pitch planes. Some companies have H and A esc's, like Coolrunning. For example they have an H-25, which has governor mode, and an A-25 that doesn't have governor mode.

On a side note, I haven't tried my H-25 on an airplane, but I have tried using governor mode on a Phoenix 10 esc with "normal mode" on my heli. That didn't work out well... the RPM surged all over the map. Might be ok using governor mode on a plane though, since you don't have to worry about tail control and jumps in RPM.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:02 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
you don't need the governor mode to have a heli ESC. The more important feature of a heli capable ESC are slow start and brake disable. Both features are needed to prevent the sudden jolt to the drive train during start up or spool down. If you have those two then you can pretty much use the ESC on a helicopter using throttle curve. While governor is nice, they rob away power, and in some bad implementations, will cause oscillations to tail gyro.

On the other hand, since the helicopter spend a lot of time at mid to upper throttle, helicopter ESC with higher resolution will give you much smoother hovering or forward flight transition. Some ESC's are so bad that a tick on your throttle stick will make the heli jump. This is a less noticeable phenomenon on airplanes, as props are less affected by suddent throttle changes.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:52 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,134 Posts
That makes sense. Thanks, guys.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:41 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,565 Posts
And don't forget that quite a few heli ESCs don't have an LVC. It's usually easy enough to tell that voltage is low with a heli and the last thing you want is the ESC cutting all your motor power for you .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick