HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:08 PM
DaddyO McBaldhead that is...
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
Build Log
Sterling Sea Maid - Picking up the Pieces (again)

After poking around this forum for a few weeks I would like to offer the following story (or tale of woe followed by a happy ending). It will be the begining of another Sterling Century Sea Maid build - resurected!. Reading many other forum threads I now believe similar storys hold true for many other formites.

Some years ago, as a present, I received the Sterling Century Sea Maid Model kit. Instanly disapointed because I really wanted the Dumas Barrel Back kit I tore into the box and began assembly. Completed to the hull exterior, said model was quickly set aside. Not because of the challange nor cost nor willingness of the builder. It was simply that life of builders can become complicated (understatement). There will be no tales of woe re: new jobs requiring extensive travel, a major domicile renovation gone wrong, the addition of an organic scale model of the significant other (refered to as mini-her) and/or the years 2008 and 2009. No, this thread will focus on the resurection, refitting and completion of my Sea Maid project. There, I have commited to the forum members that I really will finish this project! Oh and mini-her would realy like it done too.

To that end I would like to show other forum members my muses (yes plural)...

If I understand this forum's internals (not) the picture in the attachments will be of today's (01/18/10) lake view at sunset. This is where I play with my other boats. Forty steps from the back porch. To be on the water with either the big boats or the models is were I want to be.

The second muse is related but a full scale build. If you are not familiar with the Wooden Boat Magazine forum check this tread out: http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80153. Full of humor, build knowlege and a fantastic full size build. If we complain about how cold it is or how bad our working conditions are you only need to look here. His postings on his full size ship build are the inspiration for me to publicly document my meager model project. Someday I hope to build a scale version of the boat featured in that thread as an omage to the build cronicled there...

In the mean time my scale model build of the Century Sea Maid is about to begin again...
DaddyO is offline Find More Posts by DaddyO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:41 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
OK so the sloppy novel is over and the resurection is on... At this point the framing has been assembled and the hull veneers have been attached. Just before being put aside the interior was given an epoxy coating. I sistered up the keel around the stuffing box along with a few other strenghning measures. there are a few places, particularly near the bow, that will need fairing. Hopefully they will be below the water line and painted. Its hard to see in the bow picture but there are small areas in the seams that need work and two spots that need the fairing the most.

I wanted to try to keep the look of a staic model but allow for some on the water action. I thought I could reverse mount the motor, sort of like a v-drive, to keep it behind the rear seat. That way I hopefully can keep the motor hidden and the battery pack can be placed between the front and back seat while running.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:43 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
I'll get the hang of the picture posting yet...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:46 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
Oops.! And again... Forgot the upload button!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
The last picture shows how I want the motor to be angled to match the stuffing box. Hope fully when the floor boards are glued down everything will line up. The next pic is of the proposed gearing setup. From the days of old it was suggested that I use a 3:1 ratio with a stock 05 motor. After a short discusion with frankg I am rethinking the current motor and gearing setup but not the reverse mount.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:02 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
And last for tonight a picture of the proposed layout of components and their location. Since I am ham fisted the smallish area for the rc equipement seems pretty small. Using a smaller ESC will help but I want to be sure I can make the rudder servo connection after the hull is completly finished. I will be looking over other Sea Maid builds in the forum for ideas.. That should brore most of you buy now. coming up in days to come: prepping the hull for glassing I'll be using an epoxy lamination since I have workred with it on full size boat builds.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:56 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,107 Posts
Looking good, DaddyO!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:29 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
Thanks Aerominded. After posting tonight I spent some searching other threads on the Sea Maid. I had no idea the kits started creeping up in price so high after Sterling's demise. I feel bad after getting it as a present and thinking the kit was sort of OK. It turns out to be not to bad at all. (see of course frankg's sea maid- the bench mark). I had built the 54" Sea Maid from Model Boats plans with a line trimmer engine years ago but it found a seawall at full throttle... Now I want to spend the time to build it well with the detail to match. Mini-her can run the RTR boats for now and when she can manage the full size cruiser http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/im...milies/eek.gif maybe I'll let her have the sticks on the modelshttp://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:32 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
Oops twice in one night! Maybe I need a lesson in the smileys? Seems like it should be just click and paste...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:38 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,323 Posts
Welcome DaddyO!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:50 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,121 Posts
Hey DaddyO, I have a similar tale. Chris~Craft Barrel Back

The motor in this kit is supposed to be buried under the seat. I chose to set it further back in the engine compartment. Messed around with a v-drive set-up forever, until I found something I liked. Got it set up, then shelved it again to build other projects. One of these days…

Good luck with your Sea Maid.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:08 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
As the prop turns..

Millertime, thanks for the welcome. Sometimes My Black Pearl and Mini Pearl (kegerators) have Miller products in their insides mmmmm... In any case I hoist one (or two or three...) to you whilst playing with an RC boat on the water! (really - there is a short story as to why the kegerator is named the "Black Pearl" ,but alas, that is for a future post)!

Woodybob- I almost missed your belt drive... Wow . As I am currently looking at pullys in McMaster Carr's catalog, I am humbled that you have preceeded me on this "v-drive" path. As if I am the first to have the belted v-drive idea! What size pulleys did you use? Belt size ?Was it a 1/4" belt. More details please. I am working hard to hide the motor in the confined space of the Sterlings sea Maid hatch opening, behind the back seat.

After much consideration, teeth knashing, and consultations with the model gods I have concluded the stock stuffing tube must go. When I started this model some years ago I just used the supplied stuffing tube. While it will accomodate a 1/8" shaft there are no bearings or any way of keeping water out or maintainng the grease. As built it will sling grease every where and suffer water incursion. After a long offline discussion with frankg and my mentor I have no love for the current stuufing tube(box). Model surgery is in order!

As I await parts and pieces I will detail the use of a two part wood bleach on the decks to be installed. O lLord keep my hand steady while I bleach the deck.... .....
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:59 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyO View Post
My Black Pearl and Mini Pearl (kegerators)
Mmmmmm, beer...
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
Aero, in Florida it has to be really cold .... beer. Sometimes it gets really hot and muggy. The Black Pearl stays at 29.5 deg via a process controller.. However it was very cold last week and my shop got down to 65 or 66 deg. Time to sit by the fire with a fine porter or swartzbier mmmmmm. When its that cold, modeling must wait fot the weather and comsumtion to subside. See picture at top of thread. "Sittin' on the dock by lake wasting time" to paraphrase Otis...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:30 PM
Central Florida
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
frankg- I have considered all factors we discussed offline. I have no love for the current stuffing box and its associated problems. My mistakes of the past can be fixed. After some research today I think a belt V-Drive is in order and is doable without completely changing my v-drive idea/current setup. Yes I will remove the current stuffing box and replace it with a better setup. Many thanks for the idea of how to extracting the old stuffing box. I hope to fully document the process. I think the surgery to acomplish this new stuffing box will warrent plenty of pictures and lakeside celebrations. I also think the process of making the V drive happen will help others along the way (really there is not to much math involved...)