HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kobkobico, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:45 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Discussion
Use for old Havoc heli tail motors.

I wondered if it was possible to make a tiny free flight plain using the tail motor from an Air Hogs Havoc helicopter. To my surprise, with a 1 cell 40 mah LiPo, they give off enough thrust to power a small model.

In about five minutes I threw together an airframe from masking tape and a single foam plate I bought in a pack of 30 from the $1 Store. I taped the wires together, and in it's short indoor test flight it quickly stabilizes and climbs at a good angle. Of course, being overweight, it flies super quick.

I was going to try it out this morning, but it was raining. Looking forward to a true "fly away," as this motor is perfectly content at running at 1.5 volts, and the LiPo starts off fully charged.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:49 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
It worked, but it had a problem with the wings rocking back and forth, which seems to have taken some energy it could have used going upward. It managed to almost clear treetop level, but scraped against a tree and lost altitude. I couldn't get it to get that high again, as it would always crash into a tree.

Well, concept proven, now time to spend some careful time with creating a plane that flies slower, climbs faster, and rocks less.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico