Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:31 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
congrats Chris

Hi Plow

the turnigy nano tech batteries I bought from Wayne's buddy code puffed after one flight They are out in my garage looking all puffy. The one I haven't flown is still looking good. The regular Turnigy batteries I got are fine as well but they have a higher C rating. Either way I know I didn't pull enough amps from them to cause this and I didn't over-discharge them.

Just kinda bummed.
Hi Nate, I bought four of these also. I haven't tried them yet. This does sound like a bummer. How many puffed? Have you contacted HK? I guess I had better try mine so I can deal with it if they are crap.
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
United States, IN, Griffith
Joined Sep 2010
80 Posts
Hey guys,

Have not posted here in awhile (but I check out this forum every day). After the untimely death of my Twist 40 (Thank you Horizon for adding my DX8 to the recall list the week after my crash!!) I have been searching for a plane to put the Engine (OS 55 AX) and all the other equipment that survived the Twist-tastrophe into. I decided to give the Stinger II a trying. Just started on it a few hours ago (waiting for some epoxy to dry). I'll let you know how it goes.
RCMikeofIndiana is offline Find More Posts by RCMikeofIndiana
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:49 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,849 Posts
Well howdy all
Congrats to you Jackleg and the family, Thats awesome news

well been trying to get caught up here since Saturday night as we were out in northern NY bear country all last week camping, what a great time, did a couple of trail hikes and a canoe adventure, firewood cooking all week, all good stuff

So I have much reading to do and videos to watch good to be back and have some plane repairs to get to also for this week.
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:58 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Well howdy all
Congrats to you Jackleg and the family, Thats awesome news

well been trying to get caught up here since Saturday night as we were out in northern NY bear country all last week camping, what a great time, did a couple of trail hikes and a canoe adventure, firewood cooking all week, all good stuff

So I have much reading to do and videos to watch good to be back and have some plane repairs to get to also for this week.
Welcome back to the Dampness.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:15 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,590 Posts
Congrats Chris!! HI Plow. Hope the Florida trip is all you want it to be.

Later on
Bob
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:32 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Hi Nate, I bought four of these also. I haven't tried them yet. This does sound like a bummer. How many puffed? Have you contacted HK? I guess I had better try mine so I can deal with it if they are crap.
Only the two (out of 3) that I have flown puffed. The other one is waiting for me to fly it first I guess. No I haven't contacted HK yet.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:08 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,958 Posts
I saw this on another thread. Some of the best flying I've ever seen

2011 Noon Demo 104 Slick pilot Joe Smith (5 min 54 sec)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
Welcome back RCMIKE and yes please keep us posted
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:16 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,849 Posts
Hey DOG lol It rained every single day we were there, finding dry kindling to light the fire nightly was like trying to start a campfire directly on a lake LOL torential downpours at times but always cleared up just kept everything wet
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:55 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
congrats Chris

Hi Plow

the turnigy nano tech batteries I bought from Wayne's buddy code puffed after one flight They are out in my garage looking all puffy. The one I haven't flown is still looking good. The regular Turnigy batteries I got are fine as well but they have a higher C rating. Either way I know I didn't pull enough amps from them to cause this and I didn't over-discharge them.

Just kinda bummed.
They have a warranty.
You should recheck your current drain.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 15, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:35 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
Waldo your camping trip inspired me to take my grandson,an brother.
We went to Elam Bend on the grand river just west of Pattonsburg MO. We couldn't ask for better weather an the fish were biting.
We ended up catching a couple of nice pan size channel cats.
Of course my grandson got alittle sick from all the junk food we brought.
So of course I didn't get to fly this weekend but I'm hoping to get a few in this week
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
They have a warranty.
You should recheck your current drain.
Well maybe you can help me out with this. I used approximately 2600 mah in 6 minutes with roughly half from each pack. What would you say the current drain would be for that? Also, did I void the warranty when I soldered deans connectors on in place of the hobbyking connector?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:17 PM
Unregistered User
United States, MO, Winston
Joined Jan 2011
840 Posts
Hey Kerwin50, you missed a great day of flying. Lots of people flying, you were missed!
Kerwin49 is online now Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:17 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Well maybe you can help me out with this. I used approximately 2600 mah in 6 minutes with roughly half from each pack. What would you say the current drain would be for that? Also, did I void the warranty when I soldered deans connectors on in place of the hobbyking connector?
That is somewhat irrelevant. What is your peak current? You can puff a battery by exceeding the current rating. Peak current values are only for very short periods, typically seconds.

2200mAh, 25C packs can only handle 55A. The Nanos typically have a burst rate that is double the continuous rate. A 25C pack has a 50C peak for about 10 seconds or something.

You could also have some poor cooling. A pack that is within it operating parameters can be damaged if they do not have adequate cooling.

Anyway, mine have been great. Like I said, they have a warranty. The connector probably does not void the warranty.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:22 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin49 View Post
Hey Kerwin50, you missed a great day of flying. Lots of people flying, you were missed!
It's nice to be missed. Yes I thought about what a great day for flying,but my daughter managed to change the camping days from friday to sunday.
I'm hoping to fly the MX before family night.