Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
usually one of 3 things cause a "squeek"

bad bearing (doubtfull on new motor)
loose prop (your tired)
esc motor timing ( that may have 2 m's) timming
This was with no prop on it so that is ruled out. I'm guessing the timing is the issue... and it only has one "m"

I'm using this motor http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...30&item_id=261

It is about twice the size as the motor on the 48" edge and I'm only 3" bigger. My plan is to run it on 4s with a 14x7 prop. Right now I don't have any 4s packs so its going to be running on two 2200mah packs in parallel with a 15x8.

One other minor disaster I had last night while assembling was that I didn't seat the horizontal stab as far forward as I should have. But I didn't realize it till it was glued. The elevator joiner wouldn't fit so I got out mister dremel and made it fit. It was about 1/8th of an inch adjustment.

Here are some pics.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Nate,
Didn't the 3DHS parts bag include servo arm "extenders"?
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Nate,
Didn't the 3DHS parts bag include servo arm "extenders"?
-Mike
No it didn't with this kit. I think the newer ones do. This one has been kicking around the warehouse for who knows how long.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:46 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post

One other minor disaster I had last night while assembling was that I didn't seat the horizontal stab as far forward as I should have. But I didn't realize it till it was glued. The elevator joiner wouldn't fit so I got out mister dremel and made it fit. It was about 1/8th of an inch adjustment.

Here are some pics.
Sleep building, it happens to the best of us.....

Which plane is this? Yeah, you might want to grab some of those Dubro Arms to get some huckin out of it.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:52 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
This was with no prop on it so that is ruled out. I'm guessing the timing is the issue... and it only has one "m"

It is about twice the size as the motor on the 48" edge and I'm only 3" bigger. My plan is to run it on 4s with a 14x7 prop. Right now I don't have any 4s packs so its going to be running on two 2200mah packs in parallel with a 15x8.

How does the cowl fit over that awesome looking motor?
Will there be a large gap between the cowl and the spinner back plate?
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:08 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
How does the cowl fit over that awesome looking motor?
Will there be a large gap between the cowl and the spinner back plate?
I have had several discussions with some IMAC folks, 3D folks, and have a case of this on a plane at our club. While it looks really nice having very little gap between the spinner and cowl, it seems it causes some strange flight behavior. It seems by removing the cowl the flight problems improve. Later the motor was shimmed out so there was a gap and it then flew like it did with no cowl. Fluid mechanics, who knew that would be handy.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:10 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
the cowl will be fine. This motor is not any deeper than normal. The eflite equivalent is longer and not as wide. This one is just wider and not as deep.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I have had several discussions with some IMAC folks, 3D folks, and have a case of this on a plane at our club. While it looks really nice having very little gap between the spinner and cowl, it seems it causes some strange flight behavior. It seems by removing the cowl the flight problems improve. Later the motor was shimmed out so there was a gap and it then flew like it did with no cowl. Fluid mechanics, who knew that would be handy.
If this is true, why do most full scale planes have virtually no gap between the spinner and the cowl?
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:39 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
52 degrees when I got up this morning. Going to be sunny with 5mph wind.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
The small servo arm on the rudder servo is not going to work
That poor little servo arm there looks so out of place! It reminds me of a line from the Disney movie "The Robinsons" when the TRex is trying to attack the boy and can't reach him, and says "I have a big head...and little arms".

-Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:20 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
If this is true, why do most full scale planes have virtually no gap between the spinner and the cowl?
I have asked that same question and the only sense I can make of it is a loss do to scale, I cant say our spinners are always scale, or the props some times. Dont take me wrong, its not and "oh my gawd, its out of control" difference by any means. In the case of our club member, he is very good at pattern, high speed, and aerobatics, and he can some how notice the smallest things about a plane. With his 50cc SBach, making coordinated turns requires much more stick inputs with the cowl verses without. Once the motors are moved forward a bit, these habbits go away. I frankly am not good enough to prolly notice the difference, I was just impressed to see the amount of pilots <pattern and IMAC> that mentione they have also ran into these types of things.

Quote:
That poor little servo arm there looks so out of place! It reminds me of a line from the Disney movie "The Robinsons" when the TRex is trying to attack the boy and can't reach him, and says "I have a big head...and little arms".

I love that, wife and kids seem to quote that every time they need me to get something from a high shelf.

-Mike
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:50 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:

Here are some pics.
My servo arm is bigger than that servo. How about a popcicle stick?
Maybe a CF arm? (really)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:12 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
I picked up some dubro arms for the rudder and elevator. $12 ouch! They don't fit very well either but I think they will work.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:23 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
I picked up some dubro arms for the rudder and elevator. $12 ouch! They don't fit very well either but I think they will work.
If there is any slop between the arm and the output gear, I would not use it. Those get a lot of play and use a lot of torque. It can lead to big problems if that arm strips.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:24 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
There is no slop at all... its just REALLY tight going on and the splines on the inside of the servo arm look a little mashed.