Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:29 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
DLE-111 rod bearing failure... - 11/16/2009 6:26 AM

Tired Old Man

Score: 516
Last Login: 8/3/2011
Status: offline The low serial number implys it was of the early group of 111's. The DA people periodically DO jump in with the the "told you so" but they forget that DA had problems in the beginning too.

I'm not going to run through all the possible oils that would work well since MOST of them do if used in the correct ratios. 40-1 max for the minerals and 50-1 max for the synthetics keeps everything happy. Wall Mart oil works great at 32-1, but nobody wants to believe that. I run Redline at 50-1 and have for years. Better is Stihl HP Ultra at 50-1. Motul 800 at 50-1. Two oils I avoid. Lawnboy and Amsoil.

This is just 1 of many post on lawnboy ashless,. Jody from valleyview, richard hansen. an ralph cunningham who does the zenoah lite conversions, and TOM who does goverment work with UAV stated the above.
Like Wayne says do your research on the oils. I got alot of my info from the DLE 30 fourms. Jodi has posted some pic of engines using those oils
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:43 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
They say never run ashless in a DLE, the best oil is the stil ultra.
I cheated when I bought my DLE I put a Frank Bowman ring in it before I ever started it.
Makes for a quick break in.
Now on tuning the DLE 30 I start off with both neddle at 1 1/2 turns. I warm it up good then WOT and screw the HS needle in for max rpm. when you get close to max rpm make very small adjustments a screwdriver blade widths at a time. There is a flat spot at max rpm. Go to the rich side of the flat spot. Then go to a 1/4 throttle or a little less and do the same as you did for the HS needle. THEN go WOT again and readjust the HS again for the rich side of the flat spot. Go to idle an check your transition. If there is a slight hestitaion then lean her out at 1 blade width at a time. These engines are very senstive to small adjustment. Your engine is now tuned.
Yes DLE's like some many gassers have a mid range burble. I tuned my DLE this way and she runs perfect. With an APC 18/6W I'm getting 19 lbs of thrust. The XOAR 20/6 doesn't give as much thrust at WOT but much more thrust at any given RPM.
On my 10 lb MX she will lock into a hover at less than a 1/4 throttle with the XOAR where as the APC it needs a little more than a 1/3rd throttle to lock into a hover.
for the hesitation is this adjustment HSN or LSN
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:37 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Odd about the gap setting. The manual calls for .018 to .020.

DLE recommends 93 octane. How did you decide on the 20x6 prop? That is a lighter load than any of the recommended props.

Wayne, the 20x6 was recommended by Ben from 3DHS...he said it is the best overall prop for the plane, so that's what I went with.....

Kerwin, do you know what your peak RPM is with the 20x6 on your DLE 30? I am just curious
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
I made $50 on the flip and got enough cash to outfit the 51 slick! Parts are ordered!
That's a first, actually making money selling a plane!
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:36 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Wayne, the 20x6 was recommended by Ben from 3DHS...he said it is the best overall prop for the plane, so that's what I went with.....
Interesting...
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:13 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
MT that would be your LS needle
When ever you adjust your LS needle always go back an recheck your HS needle.
This engine is such a nice engine, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
If memory serves me right I was getting around 7600 with the XOAR 20/6
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:44 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
MT that would be your LS needle
When ever you adjust your LS needle always go back an recheck your HS needle.
This engine is such a nice engine, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
If memory serves me right I was getting around 7600 with the XOAR 20/6

Ok thanks....I will keep it as is for now until she breaks in. The other day when I ran it it was also like 94 and very humid, lol One other question Kerwin, where did you end up setting wise with your needles? Right now I am a bit past (richer) 1/2 turn on the LS and right around 1.5 turns on the HS needles...

I do have one question too that maybe you gas guys can answer. When I go to WOT (briefly of course) and than back to idle, the engine seems to slow way down for a couple seconds (like almost wants to die), than catch and idle a bit high, than settle after several seconds. Is that normal or a lean or rich condition on the bottom end? My fear is flying the plane, going up for say a stall turn and backing off the throttle and she quits

Curious where people generally end up needle wise on these DLE 30's.

Oh, and thought I was done with the Slick but after checking the CG (3DHS recommends starting at the front of the wing tube), I am a bit nose heavy (about 1 inch in front of the wing tube). Tonight I have to glue in a light ply tray in the area behind where the battery is now (it is in the pull/pull rudder servo area, which I am not using). This should allow me to get the battery back a further 4-5"
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Last edited by CRFan1; Aug 03, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:26 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Oh, and thought I was done with the Slick but after checking the CG (3DHS recommends starting at the front of the wing tube), I am a bit nose heavy (about 1 inch in front of the wing tube). Tonight I have to glue in a light ply tray in the area behind where the battery is now (it is in the pull/pull rudder servo area, which I am not using). This should allow me to get the battery back a further 4-5"
No Pull Pull?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,948 Posts
haha... maybe he didn't install the rudder? j/k

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=22
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:53 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
haha... maybe he didn't install the rudder? j/k

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=22
Totally absurd!

I program my "tail only" planes so both the rudder stick and aileron stick control the rudder.

I naturally switch to rudder control on landings. I teach all my students to use rudder for turns and landings.

When flying full scale, I guess we don't need the ball indicator or coordinated turns or crab with crosswind.

If a Cessna 152 had the kind of throws an RC plan has, then a little expo and dual rates would be nice too. I have a bad habit of over controlling the plane. I am a "sport" pilot and don't fly frequently. I have to use just my thumb and forefinger as expo to soften up my control movements on the yoke.

Oh, well...

OK, I feel better now.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 03, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:03 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,948 Posts
ya... just something to lighten up your day... It's amazing what people will actually post sometimes.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:31 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
CR I believe your a little lean on the LS
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:51 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,589 Posts
CRFan - I believe that the drop to a low idle then back up was one of the problems with the side intake, but not sure. Takes a minute after a high speed run to clear the crankcase and re-establish the correct idle mixture. Seems I heard this somewhere before.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:54 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,948 Posts
Well my crazy wife has put up with me for 9 yrs yesterday

It was great. We went on two free dates. One to watch the sunrise and one hiking and picnic/movie on the laptop for dinner.

no flying... she got mad at me when I posted on RCG between hiking and bed.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:30 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Well, my crazy wife wife has put up we me for 33 years, and one hobby after another. When I apologized for spending a lot on these stupid planes, she said, "Oh, you don't spend much." Honestly it helped me feel a little less guilty. Just a little less, mind you.

I ordered some of Wayne's buddy batteries from HK on July 21 and paid for EMS shipping. Price was good but batts still not here and $25 bucks for shipping. They are worse than Tower Hobbies in terms of getting things shipped. Not that I need them or anything, just sayin ...
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder