SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:13 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
sheesh a little steep for my blood I'll be looking for something smaller that will run on 500-800 mah. That plane is like $90
Hey Nate,

If you wanna go cheap but have one of the best 3D trainers around, we have 4 of these in our club now and they are 460 to 800 Mah. I have built many of these and people talk me out of them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959721

This set of plans have been on the internet since 1995 and since it is EPP, they can take a beating.

Here is one of my favorite videos
SloFly Video that was posted a while back. (3 min 21 sec)
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Orange is my favorite color.
LOL..ya know, I got the orange cause you just don't see to many orange planes at my field, hehe Of course my kid says he doesn't like it but he is not touching this plane....if anyone is gonna crash it, it's going to be me, LOL
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
I Just Want to Hover!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2004
707 Posts
More Hovering

Here is a vid from late Winter/Spring 2009.

Edge 540 with CRRC 26cc gas engine. Series of short hovering sequences pasted together on Windows Movie Maker.

Enjoy,

Bill

Edge 540 Dusters 2009 (4 min 38 sec)
Bill Martins is offline Find More Posts by Bill Martins
Last edited by Bill Martins; Jul 22, 2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: fix date
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:15 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Now tha's a 3D machine.
Yep, unfortunately, the pilot is not quite 3D yet, LOL
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
LOL..ya know, I got the orange cause you just don't see to many orange planes at my field, hehe Of course my kid says he doesn't like it but he is not touching this plane....if anyone is gonna crash it, it's going to be me, LOL
Color me jealous, very nice slick! I have the Jeskey HPP video of him building the 70 inch slick, I want a slick.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Here's my reconstructed Butterfly. Kind of looks like a Butterfly, doesn't it. I grafted the front end from one that I totalled to the wings and rear end of one that someone else crashed. It has foam wingtips to replace the broken wingtips. I put in some inexpensive Tower Pro 5010 servos, and a spare receiver, gear, and a TT Pro 46 motor I got on Ebay a couple of years ago and I am good to go for about $30 outlay plus the $35 I spent on the motor.

The Butterfly is a nice, easy, fun fly/basic 3D bird. It looks nice in the air, and can do pretty much anything I can. It isn't a Primo for sure, but then again it doesn't owe me much and I think I'll try the low down and dirty flying .... once it cools down enough to go outdoors!

Nate, you might want to consider a Profile for you 3D training, electric or nitro. I am biased of course, but they tend to be very forgiving and maybe a little tougher or easier to repair than a full fuse bird and thus good for learning. Of course the ones with tubes in the fuse are stronger than ones like the Butterfly. Even EPP foamies tend to break right behind the wing when you dork em. As you might imagine, high alpha knife edge is a piece of cake, even at low throttle settings. These planes will snap nicely if you ask them to, but they don't often snap if you don't ask which forgives a lot of mistakes.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:44 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Color me jealous, very nice slick! I have the Jeskey HPP video of him building the 70 inch slick, I want a slick.
It's honestly a really nice plane....I am amazed at how light it is quite honestly. It should be a floater.

Aside from the ridiculously useless manual, the whole kit is nice. Goes togther easily and they give you hardware for every conceivable option from gas to electric and various servo configurations, etc. Lots of spare parts. The monkote had not 1 wrinkle in it and so far everything is fitting pretty well....If it flies the way it looks I will be really happy I am sure it won't be my last 3DHS plane....
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:32 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Aside from the ridiculously useless manual, the whole kit is nice. Goes togther easily and they give you hardware for every conceivable option from gas to electric and various servo configurations, etc. Lots of spare parts. The monkote had not 1 wrinkle in it and so far everything is fitting pretty well....If it flies the way it looks I will be really happy I am sure it won't be my last 3DHS plane....
http://www.higherplaneproductions.com/AJvol2.html

This video was so great, even if you are not building a Slick, the information shared, build, set up, trimming, mixing, is worth the price of admission.

Andrew Jesky Takes RC to a Higher Plane Volume II, All Things Slick (1 min 58 sec)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:01 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
They make it look to easy, lol
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,545 Posts
Someday I hope to own a 3DHS Slick airframe!

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/3D-Hobby-...d_p_15864.html

Although...the Vyper is also at the top of my wish list!

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/65-Vyper--Red_p_15262.html

One of the guys at our field flew one of these last month, and it was the sweetest flying plane I've seen.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:09 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
One of the guys at our field flew one of these last month, and it was the sweetest flying plane I've seen.
One of the 3DHS guys lives within an hour of us, he goes by KM on RCG. I have invited him out to our Air Show on Sunday, to bring some 3DHS in front of our members, we have none so far. I am hoping he can make it, he has cool stuff and stick skills.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,545 Posts
Quote:
One of the 3DHS guys lives within an hour of us, he goes by KM on RCG. I have invited him out to our Air Show on Sunday, to bring some 3DHS in front of our members, we have none so far. I am hoping he can make it, he has cool stuff and stick skills.
Our club scheduled an air show for tomorrow, but we decided on Wednesday to reschedule because of the oppressive heat/humidity. I'll still be out flying tomorrow.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:16 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Our club scheduled an air show for tomorrow, but we decided on Wednesday to reschedule because of the oppressive heat/humidity. I'll still be out flying tomorrow.
We are "supposed" to have a big cool off on Sunday, high of 83-85
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,545 Posts
Quote:
We are "supposed" to have a big cool off on Sunday, high of 83-85
I'm there - that sounds positively refreshing! What is the expected humidity?
Our humidity today is 61% and tomorrow is supposed to be 67%, but temps tomorrow have dropped to a predicted high of 89 (on Wed the predicted high for Saturday was 93).

Let's both take pictures and post them at the end of the weekend!
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:13 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,064 Posts
Quote:
Here is a video of Aaron (the KM) and Joe Smith doing a noon demo at an event either earlier this month or late last month.
Joe Smith And Arron Bates 3DHS Noon demo (11 min 12 sec)
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater