SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:37 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I forgot how much I hate I-80 and Chicago Tolls, I could have bought a nice plane for what it cost to drive on bad roads.

Made it to Kenosha, lost a right front inner and outer wheel bearing <before they got real bad> so that is fixed. Will be doing a little flying at the Racine RC club about 15 minutes north tomorrow.

New toy looks fun Nate!
Oh yea... those toll roads are bad and to make you pay to ride them they will re-position everything in the camper for sure...

Glad you caught the wheel bearing in time... could have been a bad deal...
Wed night we had a severe thunderstorm roll through... lighning hit the well, a trailer, started a fire in the neighboring RV park, and hit my truck to the tune of $1500 for the ECM. Had arc marks on it..
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:24 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Wild weather this year all over the country. That must be a total bummer to have the ECM fried. Can you get a "salvage" ECM?

I get the bad roads thing. The roads in NH are so bad that I notice we now have grass growing in the huge cracks in the State roads around here. I guess you could say the roads are "going green" and will soon be like the old stagecoach roads from way back in the day. They are literally falling apart and of course they take the front ends of cars with them. We replace the suspension dampers on a yearly basis. But we have cut the road repair budget to the bone to balance the budget. Some in State government call it the "NH Advantage." I suspect the car repair shops would agree.

Kerwin, that MX Green Machine sure looks like a fun plane and it seems to be quite the survivor. I never recover a plane I can't see, on the sim or in the real world. That must have been a very pleasant surprise to see it come up from behind the buildings.

Hard to get much flying in with the heat wave but it is nice in terms of hanging out at the pool.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:14 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
well guys I'm the luckiest man alive, you see last night I got a few of the boys together for a little flying. I had the MX out and after my 3rd flight I was flying inverted and cut my throttle and pulled back hard on the stick.
When she came out of the 1/2 loop right side up she suddenly snapped inverted.
now by the time I rolled her back right side up she had just dissappeared behind the restroom/consession stand WHEN LT dan yelled full throttle. So I did that and to my suprize she came up from behind that building and climbing like a scolded dog.
I could not believe it I few her for another minute just to get calmed down enough to get her down and landed..

Link, an snowman I feel for you, I still piss an moan because when I lived in the city I could go to the field an some one was almost always there. An the club I'm in now is very small. I wish I could fly the MX almost every night.
Although I'm hoping to turn my wife into my girlfriend and that way she can go flying with me of an evening
Glad you saved it. It is a hard lesson for people to learn but always keep flying the plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Nice Pics kerwin you slipped those in there LOL that MX really does look sweet. Just another plane I need to add to my list LOL

Oh yeah I hope I resolved my Tweplica aileron Jitter and I should be T_ _ _Ting tomorrow I'm so happy I could just T_ _ _ T
Uh!!!! What was wrong? How we gonna learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
Oh yea... those toll roads are bad and to make you pay to ride them they will re-position everything in the camper for sure...

Wed night we had a severe thunderstorm roll through... lighning hit the well, a trailer, started a fire in the neighboring RV park, and hit my truck to the tune of $1500 for the ECM. Had arc marks on it..
Now you have the coolest truck! You need Lightning personal plates!
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:47 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post

Welp, just took the van without the Camper to the Fun Fly and hour away and the other wheel bearing came apart, it appears to have been worst then the other one. Changed it out in a parking lot in Milwaukee. No Fun Fly but its all good now.

That lightning is not friendly at all, Glad you guys are ok. Brian at Willowbank said your visit by the way, I had him mount some tires for me last week. Enjoyed your Cape photos btw.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
When that wheel bearing went out how did you go to get parts, must of been a night mare for momma.
Only one night last week where it was really hot, but it has been cooling down alittle of the evenings BUT that looks like it's going to change all the heat from texas is headed our way.
Wayne is there anyway you could please keep that heat down there and I'll see about sending some of our flood waters your way.

I'm having lots of trouble with my cell phone this weekend, I can't recieve or make calls at home I have to drive 8 blocks away to make any calls. I called ATT and they said that there systems are all working good. I told them I've lived here for almost 3 years and never had a problem till this weekend. But they still won't send anyone to fix it.
I'm going to go change service this weekend.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:10 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Quote:
When that wheel bearing went out how did you go to get parts, must of been a night mare for momma.
We are visiting friends, have the camper at their place so they helped us jockey up parts. 8)
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:15 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,545 Posts
Wow lots happens in 24 hours around here!
Got to go flying this morning with my T__T60 and my Su-26...fun pair!
Did some hovering and harrier flying with the T__T 60 and I'm still working on the engine on my Su-26...the high speed miss is still there; tried adjusting the timing both ways but it is still there. I guess I'm going to have to send it in to Jodi at Valley View RC (where I bought it) and ask him to take a look at it. Flew very nicely even with the miss; only problem I had was on my second landing, I slowed it down just a bit too much and the right wing dipped in a tip stall...my "training wheels" (wire between wheels with a spring in the middle) seemed to really help - the gear flexed and then returned to position, plane landed with no damage...it looked like it landed on the right wheel first, but no damage to the wing or anything else....except the prop...the spring flexed a bit too much and allowed the prop to hit the ground, and it cracked the prop. although I'm thankful that was all that happened. Gotta land it faster!! Started getting really hot and humid at noon when I left...I guess the weather will be pretty rough over the next week or so...grass is already dormant and brown...hate to see what it will look like in another week.

Yes, the roads around Chicago are really crappy...they are in two states: beat up and under construction, or just beat up...seems like they only last a year after construction then they are all beat up again.

We're meeting at the field tomorrow morning to replace the tent and canopy that was destroyed in Monday's rough weather....and just in time for our air show which is next Saturday...looks like it will be hot and humid next Saturday, just like today.

Well, I guess I'll go work on the Edge 540 this afternoon - in the basement where it is nice and cool. I've got to finish covering this thing so I can fly it soon!

Joe, I watched the videos you posted...did your arms get tired flying that Ugly Stick for 27 minutes?

Kerwin, I'm glad to hear the Green machine survived...did your heart stop when it went down behind the building?

Ron, I'm sorry to hear about your car problems while going through our Windy City...glad it all worked out and that the bearings didn't fail at high speed or anything nasty like that.

Wayne, I don't know how you deal with heat and humidity like this on a daily basis.

Daniel, sorry to hear about your ECM...I guess the only good thing about this is that you weren't hit by lightning directly.

David, I would like very much to see the pictures of your U Can Do...I have one sitting on a shelf waiting for me to rebuild it (this winter, most likely).

Nate, did you get any sleep last night, or did you spend all night working on your 3DHS Edge?

Keep cool everyone.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:17 PM
Montana Transplant
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Went out to the field today... flew my new/use Polaris once, had the AT6 together... never fueled it....flew everyone else's planes...

I'll have more on Facebook Mon or Tue
Last edited by mt_flyer; Jul 16, 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: photos added
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:56 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Here is some of the lighting on my FunCub.

Lighting on my FunCub (0 min 12 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
755 Posts
That's awesome Wayne.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:07 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Thats a nice light set up Wayne.
Well it was 99 degrees with a 70 some odd percent humidity today and none of the boys wanted to fly, but along about 7 I got my wife to go out to the field with me for 2 flights on the MX. I could of got 3 to 4 flights before it got dark but after the second flight I got this feeling to quit while I'm ahead so I did.
Tonight I mostly put it into an induced snap by too much elev. I'm really wanting to learn this plane.
It's got a bit of a pull to the left in a vertical, I know I need more right side thrust.
Now if it was a beam mount motor I'd just washer it up, But this is a stand off motor and I'm alittle nervous about washering it for fear of breaking the mounting tabs on the motor.
I may just fly it for now and fix it this winter.

Tonight the DLE was really rapping out, I'm really glad I put that Frank Bowman ring in it
She seems to be broke in now. I've got about 2 gallons threw her now
I'll try and get some video of her
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:16 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Thanks. I am working on the nav lights and the landing lights. Making the covers out of plastic bottles is taking time.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:18 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Thats a nice light set up Wayne.
Well it was 99 degrees with a 70 some odd percent humidity today and none of the boys wanted to fly, but along about 7 I got my wife to go out to the field with me for 2 flights on the MX. I could of got 3 to 4 flights before it got dark but after the second flight I got this feeling to quit while I'm ahead so I did.
Tonight I mostly put it into an induced snap by too much elev. I'm really wanting to learn this plane.
It's got a bit of a pull to the left in a vertical, I know I need more right side thrust.
Now if it was a beam mount motor I'd just washer it up, But this is a stand off motor and I'm alittle nervous about washering it for fear of breaking the mounting tabs on the motor.
I may just fly it for now and fix it this winter.

Tonight the DLE was really rapping out, I'm really glad I put that Frank Bowman ring in it
She seems to be broke in now. I've got about 2 gallons threw her now
I'll try and get some video of her
Have you verified the lateral balance?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:26 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,069 Posts
from my experience its normal to need a little rudder in a vertical climb to keep it straight. I wouldn't worry about it personally.

I got the new bird about 80% done. When I went to put the cowl on it wouldn't fit over the motor. I put a little larger motor in... basically the same except its 170g vs 130g and was a whole lot cheaper from hobbypartz.com. To make it work I'd have to enlarge the front of the cowl to fit around it and it might look kinda weird with that much space between the prop and the cowl. I'm going to take the 130g motor out of the other edge and swap them. If one of them is going to be ugly I'll let it be the one that's already rashed.

I am having a hard time getting a full 45 deg of up elevator throw. Some people are saying they are getting 50 deg. down is no problem. I goofed around with the position of the servo arm etc. and made a little progress but I can't seem to get it quite there. I have maybe 40 degrees. Any ideas?

This plane is coming together very nicely and I am happy with the overall quality of the ARF. Looking forward to a maiden next week sometime. Meanwhile I still don't have a vid of the other day. I think my bro needs a little nudge
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:29 AM
Montana Transplant
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Here is some of the lighting on my FunCub.
That is comming out way cool... looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
from my experience its normal to need a little rudder in a vertical climb to keep it straight. I wouldn't worry about it personally.

I got the new bird about 80% done. When I went to put the cowl on it wouldn't fit over the motor. I put a little larger motor in... basically the same except its 170g vs 130g and was a whole lot cheaper from hobbypartz.com. To make it work I'd have to enlarge the front of the cowl to fit around it and it might look kinda weird with that much space between the prop and the cowl. I'm going to take the 130g motor out of the other edge and swap them. If one of them is going to be ugly I'll let it be the one that's already rashed.

I am having a hard time getting a full 45 deg of up elevator throw. Some people are saying they are getting 50 deg. down is no problem. I goofed around with the position of the servo arm etc. and made a little progress but I can't seem to get it quite there. I have maybe 40 degrees. Any ideas?This plane is coming together very nicely and I am happy with the overall quality of the ARF. Looking forward to a maiden next week sometime. Meanwhile I still don't have a vid of the other day. I think my bro needs a little nudge
can't picture in my little brain cutting the cowl to get clearance between prop and cowl...

it's all in position of servo arm to control rod... 90* arm to rod for even up/down travel, also check your tx end point settings, up maybe not set correctly. to get 50* of travel you need long servo arms or a servo that will travel 100+*