HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:21 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,436 Posts
Hmmmm, jumping in on the conversation here is like getting the timing right when you jump into twirling ropes as a kid on the playground, or more recently...getting the timing right on the speed bag at the gym. (No, that's not the bag I keep my speed in.....what am I saying......I don't have any speed. ) See, the timing isn't right so I'll just sit here like a wallflower at the prom.

As it turns out the local park services, in their infinite wisdom, decided to add another fenced in ball field exactly where I used to fly.....so I drive to my alternate location and discover that site 2 is now a busy soccer field complete with nets, bleachers, and every flying obstacle known to man.

Is it legal to fly off of public roadways? heh heh heh

snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Hmmmm, jumping in on the conversation here is like getting the timing right when you jump into twirling ropes as a kid on the playground, or more recently...getting the timing right on the speed bag at the gym. (No, that's not the bag I keep my speed in.....what am I saying......I don't have any speed. ) See, the timing isn't right so I'll just sit here like a wallflower at the prom.

As it turns out the local park services, in their infinite wisdom, decided to add another fenced in ball field exactly where I used to fly.....so I drive to my alternate location and discover that site 2 is now a busy soccer field complete with nets, bleachers, and every flying obstacle known to man.

Snowman, I hear what you are saying...sometimes a day goes by when I'm not reading/posting, and when I return, this thread has switched subjects at least 10 times.

I had a similar experience of losing my flying field to the park district soccer and baseball programs. We had a beautiful flying field right on the edge of town; not too far, nice open space...well, guess what, that's exactly what the soccer and baseball programs were looking for..so we lost our field of 10 years.

So now the field I fly at is a few miles away, leased from a farmer who grows corn and soybeans. Kinda fun as the summer goes on and the corn gets taller and the lost planes get harder to find, but at least we don't think the soccer and baseball programs will be on our backs anytime soon.

-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:56 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I have 4 of those... they are built like a tank and will beat you in an arm wrestle.
Those look really good!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
Those look really good!
I like mine but I wouldn't give them first prize for speed or precision. They are just "good enough." I have about 20 flights on mine with no issues. I think they will last for a good long time and they are strong enough to be used in much larger planes. I would trust them in a 30% no prob with the amount of torque they have.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Last edited by 3DNater; Jul 13, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:50 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
They're digital servos - they do that. I use $7.99 servos on all my planes. SG-5010. Dual ball bearings.[
The Futaba S3152 and Futaba digitals I have on most of my planes don't seem to do it, probably because they are just less precise. Ditto the Futaba S3050 I use on some of my bigger profiles. I like the digitals on my 3D profiles because they center very well. Just one click on the elevator servo makes a difference between whether the nose heads up or down on the Primo. The S9252 were just "too sensitive" and were power hogs. I think they were a case where better and more expensive really wasn't better.

I do use the SG-5010 on some of my sport planes and I have them on my Twist 40 and they have always treated me well.

Quote:
Power HD HD-1501MG Metal Gear Servo
These seem to get good reviews and lots of people like them. They have massive torque. But I don't need that much torque and they are pretty heavy and can get a Futaba S3152 digital for less than $20 bucks new on Ebay so I use them in most applications. The S3152 is a nice all purpose digital servo but it is not MG. I did go with a more expensive Futaba S3050 (MG) on the elevator of the Primo, and I put a Futaba S9255 (MG) on the rudder because I got a good deal on a used one.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:55 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
I know this is a tiny bit off topic since you are talking about standard servos but I have been SuPeR Impressed with the hs 65mg's in my little edge. Man they are so fast and precise... and they are ANALOG of all things. I bought some comparable Corona's that are digital that will be installed this weekend in a little plane. I'll be sure to let everyone know my feelings about them. They were like $6 each from hobbyking so my fingers are crossed but my hopes aren't too high
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:45 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I have some Coronas that work well. I use HD Power servos. They are fine.I don't buy any Futaba or Hitech. I can get just as good servos for about half the price.

I got burned bad on HS-81 servos they are not worth a tinker's damn. I had to put metal gears in them to make them usable. HTX-900 is a much better servo.

The most I have spent on a servo is that JR S791 for the retracts on the Corsair. I guess I should have taken the stock retracts out and put in e-flite electric retracts. That servo would have paid for half the electrics. Plus, it is a 4.8V servo.

I really like the BlueBird 380MAX servos - metal gear, strong, and fast. I will probably use them on the C. Eagle ailerons if they fit.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:41 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,828 Posts
I always love your posts Snowman.

One addition to my rc hobby is flying at new sites as often as i can.

It must be some sort of attnetion deficite disorder I have but flying at the same site drives me to bordom.

I really enjoy new places to fly and find finding new places to fly really fun.
But actually flying from the new place is a real rush.

nothing ever came close as the rush from flying the twist from the water however. that was one rc day i will never forget. Same goes for flying the twist from the snow. That was the funnest day i ever had rc

night flying is one thing I want to do soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post

David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:20 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Snowman it's great to see you posting again. Sounds like to me you need floats on that twist, you should have all kinds of runway out there on that lake.
Hey can you hover a twist on floats.

Well my MX tank had worked the screw on the end cap causing slight leaking which ended up stinking up the apartment. Momma took it in stride and I bought a new tank for it. But after finding the loose, I've since tightened it and got it out on the deck upside down on some paper. So far it's passing the leak check, but I'm still going to install the other tank later.
I'm hoping I can get K 49 out to fly alittle more. I'm really not getting much time flying the MX. I think it could almost be a twist, with that DLE 30 the power is insane.
It's got 19 lbs of thrust on a 10 lb plane.
Mike hows your big bird
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:58 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,047 Posts
Snowman I don't really know if its legal or not but the field we fly off of we just started using about 6 years ago, The long road that leads to the same field is where we flew for about 13 years before we started renting the field from the same guy who let us park next to the field in a pull off area, I really miss the nice smooth road and landing in between traffic had to ditch many a plane to the corn on a dead stick because a car came over the top of the hill at an inconvienent time, but was always a blast. and many law officers used to stop next to us and watch us fly, I even let a few of them take a shot on the sticks. they always loved it and really were appreciative about it. But We were always safe about it as we would always ditch a plane before putting a vehicle in harms way, and it really didn't happen all that often and we never even had a close call with a vehicle in the 13 years we were there.

And I used to fly all by myself many times and honestly with in a few weeks there was always someone interested in joining me then we'd have 2 and then others would see it and then come also it really doesn't take long to attract other people into the hobby. I say go flying and they will come

Mschulz I grew up and learned to fly in a baseball / football and soccer field at the SUNY of Albany, those soccer nets really came in handy to stop a plane when things went wrong, and I didn't care too much for the baseball back stop fences I always hated pulling my balsa plane from the chains because I over shot the runway from 3rd base to home LOL
of course days the fields were being used we'd have to fly elsewhere. but we knew the schedule pretty well so we didn't have to go elsewhere too often. I think there were about 4 soccer fields 2 foot ball fields and 3 baseball fields all on that 1 gigantic field so there was usually plenty of room even if one or 2 teams were out there practicing.

You guys are going to love this, I use $11.99 Futaba 3004's BB In everything I have except the 2 planes that were given to me. which were outfitted with Hitech stuff, but Yup thats right, even the 1/4 scale Folker DR-1 with a Zenoah 26 on it, they work awesome. Not that I reccomend those servos on the bigger planes its just what I had. They've been in the Big tripe for 3 years now and all work great Hope I didn't just jinx myself LOL

Quote:
DOH! Waldo, you know you are supposed to have an ignition cutoff. What if the choke servo fails???????????
Wayne Really,, I'm Suppose to have an Ignition cutoff I thought that was just optional, not joking,, and my auto choke is my cutoff, as soon as I hit the choke it shuts right off, what if my Ignition cutoff servo failed isn't that the same thing this is my first gasser even though I've had it for 3 years, I really didn't know I was suppose to have an ignition cutoff. what would be the difference and please excuse my stupidityidiotness

Kerwin keep those fumes out of the house LOL
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:48 PM
Tehachapircflyer
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2006
511 Posts
Hello

Good to see there are still some with enthusiasm out there still flying been quite awhile since i have flown the old TVV!$T. But i still got her just no were to fly. the RC field were i use to fly has been taken over buy the wind companies & the other field i use to fly is now off limits Posted no trespassing & all grown over.
I notice Snowman has a possibly good idea flying off a road just gotta find one that isn't to busy, which is pretty hard to do around here nowadays.
Plus all the fellow RC fliers i use to fly with don't seem to have any interest anymore have gone there separate ways & found other interest. Sure do miss taking the TVV!$T out & flying her. always good to come back to this thread & see that there are those of you out there that keep the dream alive.
linkadrip is offline Find More Posts by linkadrip
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:28 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
I got burned bad on HS-81 servos they are not worth a tinker's damn. I had to put metal gears in them to make them usable. HTX-900 is a much better servo.
I agree wholeheartedly. These Hiteks are often recommended but I have not had good luck with them. Some don't center and the seem to strip gears easily. The HXT-900 does seem to be better, but a little smaller.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,047 Posts
Howdy Link Its great to see you again yes we are still here, some of us may never go away So I have to aplogise to any that think Waldo needs to get a new thread LOL
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:02 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Snowman it's great to see you posting again. Sounds like to me you need floats on that twist, you should have all kinds of runway out there on that lake.
Hey can you hover a twist on floats.

Well my MX tank had worked the screw on the end cap causing slight leaking which ended up stinking up the apartment. Momma took it in stride and I bought a new tank for it. But after finding the loose, I've since tightened it and got it out on the deck upside down on some paper. So far it's passing the leak check, but I'm still going to install the other tank later.
I'm hoping I can get K 49 out to fly alittle more. I'm really not getting much time flying the MX. I think it could almost be a twist, with that DLE 30 the power is insane.
It's got 19 lbs of thrust on a 10 lb plane.
Mike hows your big bird
Kerwin, The Su-26 is alive and well. I found out on the DLE-30 thread that my high speed "miss" (almost sounds like it is backfiring when the throttle is 1/2 or higher) might be fixed by a slight adjustment in the timing. I'll give that a try this weekend. The Su-26 flew a couple times last weekend and did very well. I put a piece of wire between the landing gear to keep the weak aluminum gear from spreading out on landing, and that worked well on the first landing but on the second landing I bounced it once and the wire snapped. So this week I found a spring at the hardward store with a good amount of tension and wired it in the middle so now my wire has a spring in the middle to absorb some of the force. I was joking with my brother last night when I showed him this: "I've got training wheels on my plane until I learn how to land smoother." I guess I just need to land a little hotter...it floats pretty good on landing, just not as good as a T___T!!
Looks like Saturday will be a good flying day, so both the T__T 60 and the Su-26 should get some time in the air. Hope your leak on the fuel tank of your MX is fixed and that you find someone to fly with soon.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:18 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Wayne Really,, I'm Suppose to have an Ignition cutoff I thought that was just optional, not joking,, and my auto choke is my cutoff, as soon as I hit the choke it shuts right off, what if my Ignition cutoff servo failed isn't that the same thing this is my first gasser even though I've had it for 3 years, I really didn't know I was suppose to have an ignition cutoff. what would be the difference and please excuse my stupidityidiotness

Kerwin keep those fumes out of the house LOL
The new ignition cutoff switches are electronic, no servo. I have a friend that uses a carb cutoff like the glow engines. I don't know if you are "supposed" to have an ignition cutoff but I think it is an invaluable safety option for gassers. They usually have an LED too that lets you know when the igntion has power. I have to have the the manual switch and the electronic on for my ignition to be on.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia