HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:58 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Waldopepperaxe's Avatar
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,013 Posts
DOG have a safe trip and make sure you get some pics of those Geotextile runways and don't forget to give it your own personal flying test.

Brathanke Just wanted you to know I just built and flew my First origami Boomarang your instructions were perfect, but you forgot to add "wear protective head gear" as my first toss went up and came back and hit me in the forehead LOL another words it worked fantastic, I wasn't expecting it to be so perfect on the first model. Awesome !!!! LOL well done

U2 I hate those type problems,, Its like on your car when you have to guess what it is so you replace your Starter, Solenoid, battery, to find out your your battery cable had corrosion on the inside and fraid apart, so $300.00 later you find out it was only a $12.00 part DOH!!!!! ROTFLOL

Gregoryda Itys funny as our runway looks really short on video and it is no its not really that bad at all there is more than plenty of room to land and only needing part of the runway to do so, Some of the bigger faster planes use a little more but its just our bone headed approaches that make us use the whole runway. The field is huge so there is plenty of room to glide up and slow down then just touch down maybe its a bit more challenging then we think but we are use to it and know 9 times out of 10 we should be able to land and stop with more than enough room to spare we usually just come in too hot LOL keeps it exciting. And congrats for not falling off the wagon, yes one Brand new cool plane a year is well deserved

CR 1 That is awesome Building your first gasser yes you should have more than enough people here to help you through it. There has been a few models I've built where you open the box and its filled with sticks and an instruction book when you open it basically says good luck LOL once you get rolling it all falls in place.

Wayne that always makes me laugh As it could be anyone of our club members and has been at times LOL

MSchulz Sorry to hear about the Porta potty and awning Thats a stinky situation for sure hope it all gets ironed out soon.

Kerwin50 Hope you get to have some MX fun tonight

Man this thread is hotter than a waffle iron griddle. Tough to stay caught up.

Did somebody say waffle
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I am not making Waffles, too hot!


Water bath tested the OS 1.60FX that is running wierd, front bearing is leaking. I tested my other 1.60, no leaking. I don't know what keeps them from leaking in the first place. They are not sealed.

I guess an order from Boca Bearings is in order.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:18 AM
Registered User
u2builder's Avatar
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
It is best to avoid long leads and Y-harnesses especially with
standard grade wires. If problems are encountered, consider using
heavy duty wire such as Futaba's Heavy Duty Series or Hobbico's Pro Series ,minimizing lead lengths, and/or removing Y-harnesses.
Yes, I did all this on the Primo, except for the lead lengths, which were dictated by the length of the fuselage and the servo placement. Now, with the lower amp draw servos everything is good. I put a Tattle Tale on the plane, and this little $25 device shows the lowest intermittant voltage encounted. It pretty much told me that the original servos were not going to work (without a seriously better RX battery) and that the new less amp hungry ones are not dipping the voltage much at all. And I will never notice the difference in speed or precision. The Tattle Tale is a pretty nice little device that helps keep and eye on things and may point to a problem before it becomes a crash. http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=443
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:21 AM
Registered User
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
DOG have a safe trip and make sure you get some pics of those Geotextile runways and don't forget to give it your own personal flying test.

Brathanke Just wanted you to know I just built and flew my First origami Boomarang your instructions were perfect, but you forgot to add "wear protective head gear" as my first toss went up and came back and hit me in the forehead LOL another words it worked fantastic, I wasn't expecting it to be so perfect on the first model. Awesome !!!! LOL well done

U2 I hate those type problems,, Its like on your car when you have to guess what it is so you replace your Starter, Solenoid, battery, to find out your your battery cable had corrosion on the inside and fraid apart, so $300.00 later you find out it was only a $12.00 part DOH!!!!! ROTFLOL

Gregoryda Itys funny as our runway looks really short on video and it is no its not really that bad at all there is more than plenty of room to land and only needing part of the runway to do so, Some of the bigger faster planes use a little more but its just our bone headed approaches that make us use the whole runway. The field is huge so there is plenty of room to glide up and slow down then just touch down maybe its a bit more challenging then we think but we are use to it and know 9 times out of 10 we should be able to land and stop with more than enough room to spare we usually just come in too hot LOL keeps it exciting. And congrats for not falling off the wagon, yes one Brand new cool plane a year is well deserved

CR 1 That is awesome Building your first gasser yes you should have more than enough people here to help you through it. There has been a few models I've built where you open the box and its filled with sticks and an instruction book when you open it basically says good luck LOL once you get rolling it all falls in place.

Wayne that always makes me laugh As it could be anyone of our club members and has been at times LOL

MSchulz Sorry to hear about the Porta potty and awning Thats a stinky situation for sure hope it all gets ironed out soon.

Kerwin50 Hope you get to have some MX fun tonight

Man this thread is hotter than a waffle iron griddle. Tough to stay caught up.

Did somebody say waffle
Hehehe...thanks and I have no doubt! My one concern is all the extra parts...like 2 servo boxes, wood panels, etc. I guess some of that is for the electric conversion but I will find out as I get into it
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:29 AM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
DOG have a safe trip and make sure you get some pics of those Geotextile runways and don't forget to give it your own personal flying test.

Brathanke Just wanted you to know I just built and flew my First origami Boomarang your instructions were perfect, but you forgot to add "wear protective head gear" as my first toss went up and came back and hit me in the forehead LOL another words it worked fantastic, I wasn't expecting it to be so perfect on the first model. Awesome !!!! LOL well done

U2 I hate those type problems,, Its like on your car when you have to guess what it is so you replace your Starter, Solenoid, battery, to find out your your battery cable had corrosion on the inside and fraid apart, so $300.00 later you find out it was only a $12.00 part DOH!!!!! ROTFLOL

Gregoryda Itys funny as our runway looks really short on video and it is no its not really that bad at all there is more than plenty of room to land and only needing part of the runway to do so, Some of the bigger faster planes use a little more but its just our bone headed approaches that make us use the whole runway. The field is huge so there is plenty of room to glide up and slow down then just touch down maybe its a bit more challenging then we think but we are use to it and know 9 times out of 10 we should be able to land and stop with more than enough room to spare we usually just come in too hot LOL keeps it exciting. And congrats for not falling off the wagon, yes one Brand new cool plane a year is well deserved

CR 1 That is awesome Building your first gasser yes you should have more than enough people here to help you through it. There has been a few models I've built where you open the box and its filled with sticks and an instruction book when you open it basically says good luck LOL once you get rolling it all falls in place.

Wayne that always makes me laugh As it could be anyone of our club members and has been at times LOL

MSchulz Sorry to hear about the Porta potty and awning Thats a stinky situation for sure hope it all gets ironed out soon.

Kerwin50 Hope you get to have some MX fun tonight

Man this thread is hotter than a waffle iron griddle. Tough to stay caught up.

Did somebody say waffle
I won't take any credit for the instructions. I just found that vid on youtube yesterday when I was bored at workj
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:05 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Hehehe...thanks and I have no doubt! My one concern is all the extra parts...like 2 servo boxes, wood panels, etc. I guess some of that is for the electric conversion but I will find out as I get into it
There may also be an option for a choke servo too. That is a waste of time, money, current, and weight in my opinion. I use the choke a couple of times a day at the field.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Jul 13, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
Registered User
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
There may also be an option for a choke servo too. That is a waste of time, money, and weight in my opinion. I use the choke a couple of times a day at the field.

Ahhh good point and I agree...I am just doing a manual choke
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:50 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Yes, I did all this on the Primo, except for the lead lengths, which were dictated by the length of the fuselage and the servo placement. Now, with the lower amp draw servos everything is good. I put a Tattle Tale on the plane, and this little $25 device shows the lowest intermittant voltage encounted. It pretty much told me that the original servos were not going to work (without a seriously better RX battery) and that the new less amp hungry ones are not dipping the voltage much at all. And I will never notice the difference in speed or precision. The Tattle Tale is a pretty nice little device that helps keep and eye on things and may point to a problem before it becomes a crash. http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=443
I have a couple of the ones from Winged Shadow. http://www.wingedshadow.com/rcrprod.html . It reports current voltage, minimum voltage, glitches, and has a lost plane finder. I like it because it reports audible instead of visual. I can put it anywhere in the plane since I don't have to see it. It also tells me if I turn the plane on and the TX is off. It starts playing music if the signal is missing or below a threshold. I have one on the Twist 60 and one on the YAK.

The one on the YAK is great since the batteries are not accesible to check the voltage without removing the canopy (switches/charge jacks are inside the plane).

They also have a USB interface to let you set varioius parameters and load a custom or predefined "tune" for it to play.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Waldopepperaxe's Avatar
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,013 Posts
Come on Wayne make a waffle lol

Brathanke LOL Yeah i diodn't think that was you I thought you were filming though LOL

I put the servo choke on my Tripe gasser and I use it once and then its never needed again the rest of the day to start the engine, Of course now that I think about it Its how I shut off my engine too never mind lol
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:05 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Come on Wayne make a waffle lol

Brathanke LOL Yeah i diodn't think that was you I thought you were filming though LOL

I put the servo choke on my Tripe gasser and I use it once and then its never needed again the rest of the day to start the engine, Of course now that I think about it Its how I shut off my engine too never mind lol
I have a kill switch on my Su-26/DLE-30 which I appreciate. My choke is manual; don't need a servo for this; save the weight and complexity.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:22 PM
Registered User
balsabuster2004's Avatar
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I recently built a Primo and used expensive and precise and brand new Futaba S9252 servos. The ailerons and elevator both vibrated when centered..
They're digital servos - they do that. I use $7.99 servos on all my planes. SG-5010. Dual ball bearings.

Specifications:
Operating Speed (4.8V no load): 0.20sec/60 degrees
Weight: 43g/1.38oz.
(6.0V no load): 0.16sec/60 degrees
Stall Torque (4.8V)(5.2 kg-cm) 72 oz-in.
(6.0V)(6.5 kg-cm) 90 oz-in.
Temperature Range: -20 to +60 Degree C
Dead Band Width: 4msec
Operating Voltage:4.8-6.0 Volts
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:26 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
They're digital servos - they do that. I use $7.99 servos on all my planes. SG-5010. Dual ball bearings.

Specifications:
Operating Speed (4.8V no load): 0.20sec/60 degrees
Weight: 43g/1.38oz.
(6.0V no load): 0.16sec/60 degrees
Stall Torque (4.8V)5.2 kg-cm) 72 oz-in.
(6.0V)6.5 kg-cm) 90 oz-in.
Temperature Range: -20 to +60 Degree C
Dead Band Width: 4msec
Operating Voltage:4.8-6.0 Volts
Here are the ones that I use:

Power HD HD-1501MG Metal Gear Servo
Price: $13.90
Description
Voltage: 4.8~6.0v
Speed: 0.16~0.14sec
Torque: 15.5~17.0kg/cm (215.3~236.1oz/in)
Bearings: 2 Ball Bearings
Gears: Metal
Weight: 60g
Dimension: 40.7x20.5x39.5mm
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Yes, I did all this on the Primo, except for the lead lengths, which were dictated by the length of the fuselage and the servo placement. Now, with the lower amp draw servos everything is good. I put a Tattle Tale on the plane, and this little $25 device shows the lowest intermittant voltage encounted. It pretty much told me that the original servos were not going to work (without a seriously better RX battery) and that the new less amp hungry ones are not dipping the voltage much at all. And I will never notice the difference in speed or precision. The Tattle Tale is a pretty nice little device that helps keep and eye on things and may point to a problem before it becomes a crash. http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Come on Wayne make a waffle lol

Brathanke LOL Yeah i diodn't think that was you I thought you were filming though LOL

I put the servo choke on my Tripe gasser and I use it once and then its never needed again the rest of the day to start the engine, Of course now that I think about it Its how I shut off my engine too never mind lol
DOH! Waldo, you know you are supposed to have an ignition cutoff. What if the choke servo fails???????????
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:44 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O NO I'm tooo old school, I use a manual shut-off, and a manual choke,
Hell I even fly my plane manually.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:06 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Here are the ones that I use:

Power HD HD-1501MG Metal Gear Servo
Price: $13.90
Description
Voltage: 4.8~6.0v
Speed: 0.16~0.14sec
Torque: 15.5~17.0kg/cm (215.3~236.1oz/in)
Bearings: 2 Ball Bearings
Gears: Metal
Weight: 60g
Dimension: 40.7x20.5x39.5mm
I have 4 of those... they are built like a tank and will beat you in an arm wrestle.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New Club Thread - Northern Beaches Soaring Club Psionic001 Australia 13 Sep 11, 2014 08:45 AM
Help! Tower SUper Saver Club la528it Hot Online Deals 9 Jan 10, 2010 06:48 PM
Discussion San Francisco Model Yacht Club's multi-club Swap Meet craig_c Dock Talk 17 Oct 13, 2009 03:28 AM