HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:01 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Give it a try. I think a 14x4W is going to be better for that engine.
I am thinking you are right, the 15X4 is all I had. I borrowed a 13X7 APC to just get it started tonight, fired right up.

I got the PLF math down from you posts, I am having trouble understanding what is a good PLF per the motor. Is finding that happy number a average of the suggested props for the motor, what the formula for that side?
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:29 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
I finally tried out my homemade pontoon boat today.

Homemade Air Boat (1 min 31 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:28 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
That ESC got really hot
kerwin50 is online now Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:38 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I am thinking you are right, the 15X4 is all I had. I borrowed a 13X7 APC to just get it started tonight, fired right up.

I got the PLF math down from you posts, I am having trouble understanding what is a good PLF per the motor. Is finding that happy number a average of the suggested props for the motor, what the formula for that side?
I put a 14xs4w on my T___T 60 with a Magnum .91 but it was a 4 stroke. That prop was the best match for that motor on that plane that i've found yet.

Hoping to fly in the AM...possibly 2nd flight of Su-26 and also 2nd flight of T___T 60 with the good old Saito 1.15 back on it!
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:10 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Hey Wayne, I got the jtek test stand like yours in the video and it is great. It made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in tuning up a used Saito. It is easy to set up and very secure. It is for sure the way to go. Much safer not having to worry about holding a plane during all the full throttle stuff. Much nicer not to have to fiddle with the radio to adjust the throttle and try to keep it away from the exhaust mist. Just good all the way around. Thanks.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:19 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
at MT /ND border this am... should make it across ND today .. severe thunderstorms predicted
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:42 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Hey Wayne, I got the jtek test stand like yours in the video and it is great. It made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in tuning up a used Saito. It is easy to set up and very secure. It is for sure the way to go. Much safer not having to worry about holding a plane during all the full throttle stuff. Much nicer not to have to fiddle with the radio to adjust the throttle and try to keep it away from the exhaust mist. Just good all the way around. Thanks.
Glad you liked it. It is pretty simple really. I have a couple of tanks rigged up, one is for glow and the other for gas engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
at MT /ND border this am... should make it across ND today .. severe thunderstorms predicted
Wishing good roads for you Daniel. I finally got around to putting a receiver in that Trex I got from your son. I am fully capable of crashing it now. Frank and I did that, then went to the pond for the pontoon boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
That ESC got really hot
Smokin' hot! I obviously thought it was hilarious. I think will put RESCUE signs on both sides and definitely putting a beeper on it. Maybe I can find some little people for it.

The idea was to tie a line from a fishing pole to it and use the boat to take the line out and around a stranded float plane for retrieval.

I already repaired it. I put a HK 25A ESC on it and recycled a 3S Lipo that had a bad cell. I took the balance plug off and just made it a charge only pack. I was using a 500mAh pack in the video.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
New Twistaholic RC Groups

I have a 60 T_t OS FS91 installed and weighs in at 6 lb. 7 oz.. I maidened it
a couple of months ago . I had the same problems others have had . I did some research on RCU and got some good advice from " Dad Roman " . I used the washers behind the engine mount to change the thrust line and moved the cg. to 5 7/8" . I had some vibration problems with my Spektrum 821 servos on the ailerons and switched to Hi Tec 625's . I have tried a MAK 14x6 and APC
14X4W props and flew 4 days this week with an APC 15x6 . This setup is the best so far . I haven't tried an APC 15x4W but it will be in my next order . The plane likes to float when landing and I might try the cg. slightly forward at 5 3/4" . The plane sounds like a mad bee in the air , different than any others I have flown ( yes I do balance my props ) .
This is a great plane and replaces my H9 Tribute in the most fun category . Thanks everybody for your input and shared knowledge .
outlander is offline Find More Posts by outlander
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:33 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,873 Posts
welcome to the madness outlander. I'm sure everyone is going to be clamoring for pics and vids so I'll just start now

I'm glad you tried the 15x6 on the OS FS91. I have that engine on a 40 size edge 540 and it has yet to fly. I have an APC 15x4w on it and the max rpm is 10000. I have it set to about 9700. I'm a little concerned about over-revving the motor with the 15x4w. I plan to be very careful not to have too much full throttle. The only time I will will be when punching out of a hover or something as I'm sure I'll have plenty of vertical power at less than full throttle. I just don't want the motor to ever hit 12000 rpms or above.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
I had a couple of dead-sticks on the TT60 today. It does not do well without power. I landed both times without damage. I may need to change spark plugs and check the fuel lines.

The YAK is doing really well. I changed to a 23x8 prop today. I did have an in-flight malfunction. The throttle stopped working. I killed the engine (gotta love those ignition kill switches) and brought it in easy. The servo lead came unplugged. Three flights and main batts are still at 50% and the ignition is at 75%.

Still windy and now, 90+ temps have set in.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:29 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,873 Posts
It's hot and windy here too... I have still not managed to make it out flying since Wednesday.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:34 PM
Montana Transplant
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
made it to Fargo tonight.... still fighting flooded roads and rivers
Tomorrow Wisconsin Dells, then to Ottawa, IL to fly the WAA-08 SQuiRT
http://www.waa-08.org/
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:15 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
made it to Fargo tonight.... still fighting flooded roads and rivers
Tomorrow Wisconsin Dells, then to Ottawa, IL to fly the WAA-08 SQuiRT
http://www.waa-08.org/
Daniel,
When are you arriving in Ottawa to fly the Squirt!
Maybe I can meet you there.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:26 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Welcome outlander
Well guys today was a fantastic day.
We had the cameron airshow today and there were aerobatics all day long. I'll try an post some videos and pic's later.
I met LT Dan (alias K49) and we decided to go flying afterwards.
It was an MX evening. The green machine was really flying good. The only thing was my rudder cable was really loose but I flew her anyway.
I love the way she knife edges.
I took her up a 100 ft or so and stalled her. I was holding full elev with the engine at idle
and she just started floating down.
I'm hoping to fly her again tomorrow
kerwin50 is online now Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 12, 2011, 06:54 AM
Montana Transplant
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Daniel,
When are you arriving in Ottawa to fly the Squirt!
Maybe I can meet you there.
-Mike
my plan is to be there Monday... the SQuirt took a side trip to Muncie to NEFI and is due in Ottawa on Monday...
I don't even know where they fly there..