lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
and a few more....

Name: IMG_1569 (Large).jpg
Views: 39
Size: 26.3 KB
Description: my T___T and a mustang (getting pretty close!!)

Name: IMG_1384 (Large).jpg
Views: 35
Size: 27.2 KB
Description: my sig wonder

Name: IMG_1399 (Medium).JPG
Views: 37
Size: 182.0 KB
Description: the only incident of the day (not me)

Name: IMG_1477 (Large).jpg
Views: 34
Size: 48.5 KB
Description: streamer cut
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169
Last edited by rosco169; Jun 06, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:49 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco169 View Post
well fellas, i finally got to maiden the edge on sunday, it was pretty windy 20 gusting to 40 kmh (according to the weather network) felt more like a steady 15 kmh.

anyways i spent a good hour running the motor before takeoff, with the 15/8 it was running 9900 rpm with throttle to go, so i changed it out for the 16/6. i think this prop was a little too big it topped out around 7300 runnin very rich.
the edge took off with no hesitation and with only a couple clicks of trim on the ailerons. the plane flew great, but was a little bouncy due to wind. i was running my ailerons with no expo at full rates wich turned out to be very touchy
i made a few passes but because the motor was so rich it wasnt even close to its full potential.
final pass was very fast, i made one bounce and ran out of runway pretty quick.... ended up with a broken wheel and a cracked prop.. i really should of made another pass and idled down some but i dumb thumbed

all in all a nice day at the field.. thanks for all the info and heres a few pics..
I think the 16x6 is going to work out for you after you get it tuned....
I'm running a 16x8 on the saito 150 @ 8300rpm.... that keeps it under 10k in flight
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:00 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
I think the 16x6 is going to work out for you after you get it tuned....
I'm running a 16x8 on the saito 150 @ 8300rpm.... that keeps it under 10k in flight
I think so too. You are going to pull the RPMs up as it wears in and you lean it out. I would try a 16x4W too. Maybe you can borrow one. It will slow the plane down and add torque.

Nice Pics...
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:03 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,150 Posts
Daniel - Two or three more tanks on the YAK and I plan to move up to the 23x8 prop.
Last edited by waynemia; Jun 06, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:03 PM
lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
would it be best to keep the same prop untill its tuned? or can i try the 16/4 now?
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:09 PM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
I have been trying to get the right prop on the Scary Edge 540 now that I have the Cowl on and such. OS BX-1 1.08

We ran it last year with a 15X8 Standard Zinger and it did well but had no virtical torque. I tried the Vest 16X8S and it was too much byte for the motor, could not spin up and got warm. I went back to the 15X8 and didnt have it tuned right, loaded up, flamed out and did a face plant in the bushes at the edge of the field. At over 8 Lbs, he has a glide slope of a brick dead stick. I have some video <so it happened> that I am getting ready to pull off the cam.

The manual
14X6 or 8, 15X6 or 8, 16X6 or 18X6

Anyone wanna take a stab at a prop for this thing, 64 inch WS, 8 plus lbs and seems to live through every dead stick ditch since 1995.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:24 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco169 View Post
would it be best to keep the same prop untill its tuned? or can i try the 16/4 now?
Go agead and try it. Reset the HSN so the RPMs are 200-300 below peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I have been trying to get the right prop on the Scary Edge 540 now that I have the Cowl on and such. OS BX-1 1.08

We ran it last year with a 15X8 Standard Zinger and it did well but had no virtical torque. I tried the Vest 16X8S and it was too much byte for the motor, could not spin up and got warm. I went back to the 15X8 and didnt have it tuned right, loaded up, flamed out and did a face plant in the bushes at the edge of the field. At over 8 Lbs, he has a glide slope of a brick dead stick. I have some video <so it happened> that I am getting ready to pull off the cam.

The manual
14X6 or 8, 15X6 or 8, 16X6 or 18X6

Anyone wanna take a stab at a prop for this thing, 64 inch WS, 8 plus lbs and seems to live through every dead stick ditch since 1995.
I will give it a guess:

The PLF (prop load factor) for the listed props are:

14x6 = 1176 14x8 = 1568
15x6 = 1350 15x8 = 1800
16x6 =1536
18x6 = 1944

The range for load factors is from 1100 to 2000. The 15x8 is a speed prop so that is why you don't have a lot of verticle punch which requires torque.

The PLF of the 16x8 = 2048. This is more load than the recommendations for the engine. It would labor under this load.

For aerobatics, I am going to suggest the APC 17x4W.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXZWZ1&P

A regular prop PLF is 17x4 = 1156. The W (wide) adds a little load so It should be nicely in the lower end of the range. It should have plenty of RPM/Torque.

You might also try a 17x6 IMAC prop.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXFGV9&P

Just my .02.
Last edited by waynemia; Jun 06, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:36 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I will give it a guess:
For aerobatics, I am going to suggest the APC 17x4W. A regular prop PLF is 17x4 = 1156. The W (wide) adds a little load so It should be nicely in the lower end of the range. It should have plenty of RPM/Torque.

Just my .02.
That seems to be a very reasonable solution. I have always thought of the 4W props to be sort of 3D and this plane is to big a pig to do any 3D.

I put a 13X4 electric on my Rare Bear Reno Racer and WOW what a nice prop!

I have seen your PLF posts before, do you have a reference post some where I could understand more of what it means?
I will give that a go wayne, as always thanks!
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:47 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
That seems to be a very reasonable solution. I have always thought of the 4W props to be sort of 3D and this plane is to big a pig to do any 3D.

I put a 13X4 electric on my Rare Bear Reno Racer and WOW what a nice prop!

I have seen your PLF posts before, do you have a reference post some where I could understand more of what it means?
I will give that a go wayne, as always thanks!
Kinda 3D but it is really any time you want to shift to first gear and dig a plane out of the mud, you can go up in diameter and down in pitch.

I fly most of my planes with a 4 pitch because I am not interested in flying fast. The Funjet Ultra has a 6x5.5 blade on it and it is very fast.

Anyway, I posted a lot of stuff on the tips thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...f#post13076266
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:52 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Kinda 3D but it is really any time you want to shift to first gear and dig a plane out of the mud, you can go up in diameter and down in pitch.
Mud... The weight of this bird says mud. I dont need speed = gets in trouble faster. I need get my assests out of the pickle I just got in torque in most cases.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:26 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,150 Posts
Redundant Power

Hobby City recently listed this power switch.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16811

It takes two packs in put and provides a failover system and regulator. The switch is a little larger than a switch with an LED and charge jack. It is electronic, there are no sliders. You hold the set button in. A red LED comes on. While holding the set button you press the individual battery buttons to turn them on or off. There are two output wires. You can plug them into two unused channels for better current flow.

The MAX is 5A continuous on the rating. I have not looked at the current yet.

The output is supposed to be regulated to 5.9VDC. Mine is reading 5.85. Tne unloaded voltage is a little over 6V. The output follows the input as the batteries decrease below 6V. The battery LEDs turn green when the input battery is above 5.5VDC and Red below that.

I verified the two outputs can be tied together in parallel. You have output voltage on both output leads with either or both batteries turned on. There is an OK capacitive filter on each output. The voltage drains slowly when the power is turned off.

The switch pulls about 20mA per side from the batteries when the switch is on.

The biggest down side is charging. There are no charge ports. This is likely because the input voltage can be 4VDC to 9VDC allowing for Liion, Lipo, LiFE, and NiMh packs to be used.

I don't like that the case is so easy to open. I will add some Blenderm tape when I install them. They also do not have any screws included.

For about $16 shipped, It seems like a nice solution for redundant power.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:37 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,131 Posts
Hey guys, Mike here...been out for a few days...son graduated 8th grade, daughter got married...stuff like that In the midst of that I was able to change the engine on my T__T 60 from the Magnum .91 to the Saito 1.15 that used to be on the plane...much more power! The engine was a little rich, and I didn't have much time, so I didn't get too crazy. But it was fun to fly even so! And then, the more exciting news - I was also able to maiden my Sukhoi Su-26m with the DLE-30 on Sunday! There were some technical hurdles to overcome, including stupid user (me) forgetting to turn on the opto-kill switch and then trying to figure out why the engine would not start! Then the cockpit mounting lug came unglued from vibration and was almost ready to give up when a fellow club member suggested securing the cockpit hatch with tape...which worked great and the cockpit was secure enough to fly, so I went ahead and flew the plane! The plane took off nicely and required no trim adjustments. The engine was still too rich, and after a few circuits around the field it loaded up and quit, so I had to deadstick the landing. Fortunately, the plane was already on approach, so the deadstick was uneventful. I had the aforementioned family activities going on, so I was unable to make a second flight, but I'm happy that I got to maiden the plane and at least I know it flies! My oldest son (who is already married and lives in Colorado Springs) was in town and was able to come to the field with me and videotape the maiden flight. The video is not really much to write home about, but for anyone that is interested, here is the video:

Su-26m Maiden Flight.divx.avi (2 min 44 sec)

Enjoy the video and I'll post more when I get the chance to fly it again, hopefully this weekend.

Glad to read about the exploits of everyone else...keep em flying and keep posting the videos.

Nate, you need to figure out how to get videos of your crazy rolling harriers!

Regards,
Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:46 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,640 Posts
Nice job Mike. the deadsticks are always nerve racking... especially on a brand new plane that you have put so much work and money into.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 07, 2011, 07:32 AM
Mastered the zen of anger!
Matthews, NC
Joined Dec 2009
88 Posts
Well I am glad you got your edge in the air rosco. I have the exact same plane. I am keeping her grounded for now because all I have is a 61fx and she is a dog. I mean she can barely get out of her own way. Think I am just going to move the 61fx into my twist so it will go balistic
Pillzee is offline Find More Posts by Pillzee
Old Jun 07, 2011, 07:35 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,131 Posts
I love those combat pics...we have to try some combat at our field; I know there are other guys besides me that would like to do this!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974