Have a safe trip MT
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:41 AM
Prineville Oregon
Joined Jan 2007
286 Posts
re flight plan

Have a safe trip Dan. Weather is finally improving here. Didn't get rained on at my daughter's graduation and calling for 77F on Sat and 80F on Sun. Course it'll probably snow again on Monday.
Outlw36 is online now Find More Posts by Outlw36
Last edited by Outlw36; Jun 04, 2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: wasn't wearing my damned glasses!
Old Jun 04, 2011, 07:10 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Hey Guys, I've got a question about servos. I will be building a Primo 60 slab. I have some new Futaba 9252 digital servos. These are very good coreless motor digital servos with plenty of torque, but they have nylon gears. I have a MG 9255 I could use on the rudder. Do you think the 9252's will be OK? (I have had Futaba 3151 nylon gear servos on my Primo 40 and they have held up great for 3 years).

That is a really good Saito tuning tutorial Wayne. I am going to print it and try it. Tuning is not something I look forward too. It is very tense running these engines at high speed on the ground, and I usually get stressed when I am approaching the "peak" afraid that I may go too far on the lean side. The allen wrench in the carb is really essential. I could never tell what I was doing until I added that (I use a piece of bent 2-56 control wire. )
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:27 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Hey Guys, I've got a question about servos. I will be building a Primo 60 slab. I have some new Futaba 9252 digital servos. These are very good coreless motor digital servos with plenty of torque, but they have nylon gears. I have a MG 9255 I could use on the rudder. Do you think the 9252's will be OK? (I have had Futaba 3151 nylon gear servos on my Primo 40 and they have held up great for 3 years).

That is a really good Saito tuning tutorial Wayne. I am going to print it and try it. Tuning is not something I look forward too. It is very tense running these engines at high speed on the ground, and I usually get stressed when I am approaching the "peak" afraid that I may go too far on the lean side. The allen wrench in the carb is really essential. I could never tell what I was doing until I added that (I use a piece of bent 2-56 control wire. )
That stuff for Rosco is for the OS 1.20. Saito is completely different.

I made a video of break-in for my Saito 1.00.

Saito 1.00 GK Break-In (14 min 25 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:34 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Thanks Wayne. I think you have 100% convinced me that I need a test stand. I orded one of those Jteks like you have. It will probably pay for itself the first time I use it. I have always tune the motor on the plane, and there are a whole lot of reasons why the test stand seems to make sense, in addition to the mess issue. The engine will be held down properly, I don't have to hold the plane, I can get at the needles easily, I don't need to hold the radio to adjust the throttle, I can see how much fuel I am using, and on and on. I don't know why I didn't do it a long time ago. Actually, I tried a home made one once, but it just wasn't sturdy enough. As usual, thanks for the good advice.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:47 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Wayne. I think you have 100% convinced me that I need a test stand. I orded one of those Jteks like you have. It will probably pay for itself the first time I use it. I have always tune the motor on the plane, and there are a whole lot of reasons why the test stand seems to make sense, in addition to the mess issue. The engine will be held down properly, I don't have to hold the plane, I can get at the needles easily, I don't need to hold the radio to adjust the throttle, I can see how much fuel I am using, and on and on. I don't know why I didn't do it a long time ago. Actually, I tried a home made one once, but it just wasn't sturdy enough. As usual, thanks for the good advice.
I like mine but I don't breakin every engine on the stand. An OS 2 stk can go from box to plane to air. Just fly the first few tanks on the rich side.

I built a flight stand at home. The engine mount is on the right front corner of it. I use some clamps and bungee to hold the blocks with the tank on it. The throttle rod is just held between two pieces of bungee holding the tank.

With the engine on the right front, the muffler comes off the side of the stand and keeps it cleaner. I also drilled some holes on both sides of the stand for screwdrivers and glow starters. It keeps stuff from blowing off.

The engine mount is great when working on engines and diagnosing trouble when you have tried everything you can on the plane.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:14 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
anyone missing on the map let me know..
I can get you added

BTW... My daughter made grade yesterday PO3 aboard the USS George Bush... 3rd cruise
Just because I feel left out... 37.628035, -97.305395 are the coordinates of the center of our runway at Chapin field.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:16 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Yeah, I like your mounting of it and will copy it. It seems like a much better idea than mounting on the plane. I may actually pull a couple of Saito's out of planes and actually tune them properly. It is very hard to tune the low speed on the planes with cowls Even though I have a little hole in the cowl, it is very hard to get the screwdriver in properly. In the long run it will save a lot of fuel. I can't wait till it comes. It will be a good windy day project.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 07:04 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I like your mounting of it and will copy it. It seems like a much better idea than mounting on the plane. I may actually pull a couple of Saito's out of planes and actually tune them properly. It is very hard to tune the low speed on the planes with cowls Even though I have a little hole in the cowl, it is very hard to get the screwdriver in properly. In the long run it will save a lot of fuel. I can't wait till it comes. It will be a good windy day project.
I had to have a shorter mounting bolt on the muffler side. Mine was too long and hit the muffler on some engines.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:13 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,460 Posts
Great day of flying even though there was a 1 hour break for a passing storm

This is WAY off topic but very cool!
The Grand Rapids LipDub (NEW WORLD RECORD) (9 min 49 sec)
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:40 PM
lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
thanks for the break-in tips wayne, youre a fountain of knowledge! lol

hopefully i can get it done in one shot in the morning as im exited about a maiden
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:00 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
I fixed the 3dhs edge today. I took off the cowl and to my surprise one of the bullet connectors was completely pulled apart and another one was halfway disconnected. The previous owner hadn't done anything to restrain the wires so they were making contact with the motor. One of the wires was worn through so there was copper exposed. Crazy. I hooked it back up and added some electrical tape to the worn wire and zip-tied them to the motor box so that won't be happening again...

So I went straight out to the field and put 3 flights on her and she seems to be as good as new. I still have my eye on the new 48" airframe that will be coming out soon. This airframe I have really won't take much more abuse before its useless.

It was pretty windy out when I was flying so with such a small airframe some things were a challenge although the remarkably stable 3dhs plane handled it pretty well. I have been practicing my harrier rolling on G5.5 with the physics set to 65% speed. I figure its the same as using a metronome in music. Practice slow so you can get the timing down better and then gradually speed it back up. As a result I have made some nice improvement although I'm a long way still from maintaining them safely for an extended period of time. I also can't steer them yet.

I practiced some KE passes and got a couple of them pretty low. It is super fun flying KE into the wind. It was also fun doing inverted flat spins and watching the wind carry the palne as it spins.

My LG repairs held up great. +1 to 5 min epoxy and fiberglass
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:03 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Can't catch up here! Keep it rolling guys, my life is a little hectic at the moment but I'll pop in when I can.

More videos!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:15 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,615 Posts
Glad to hear from ya Plow. Was about to send the Militia out to find you.
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:32 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
no kidding... I was really missing the pic of your moonshine mash
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater