That 15/8 should be fine
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:36 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,608 Posts
Ross, I'm running an old FS120 (pre-surpass) on an Ultra Stik Lite 120 with a 15-6 MAS. It pulls that prop and airframe with substantial authority. Your Edge is likely lighter, the Surpass more powerful. The 15-8 should be no problem, but you might go up to a 16-6. Just don't want to over rev a 4 stroke. Makes expensive noises.

Wayne may weigh in. He's pretty knowledgeable on 4 strokers.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Mar 2011
8 Posts
Hey guys havent been on in a while, had some great time on the sticks with the 2nd gen twist w/ 46ax and 12.25x3.75. I was iffy at first with this plane but let me tell you its by far the most fun I've had with a plane to date! Ive really got the hang of it and now trying to figure out the harrier's and flat spins! Ill get there its just a lot more stick work than I've ever had to do since Im new to the 3d world! Only problem is I believe I have 2 stress fractures about half way up the fuselage on the top side, but a little epoxy and I hope I have the problem solved. I have my CG 4.5 ble and thinking going 5 will improve the ability to harrier and flat spin. Thanks for al your help again guys and you were right, once I got it right I would love it!!!
YFD27 is offline Find More Posts by YFD27
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:19 AM
Mastered the zen of anger!
Matthews, NC
Joined Dec 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFD27 View Post
Hey guys havent been on in a while, had some great time on the sticks with the 2nd gen twist w/ 46ax and 12.25x3.75. I was iffy at first with this plane but let me tell you its by far the most fun I've had with a plane to date! Ive really got the hang of it and now trying to figure out the harrier's and flat spins! Ill get there its just a lot more stick work than I've ever had to do since Im new to the 3d world! Only problem is I believe I have 2 stress fractures about half way up the fuselage on the top side, but a little epoxy and I hope I have the problem solved. I have my CG 4.5 ble and thinking going 5 will improve the ability to harrier and flat spin. Thanks for al your help again guys and you were right, once I got it right I would love it!!!
I am glad you are loving the T---T. I also have the 40 sized one. I have to agree with you that it is a great airframe for learning 3d stuff on. I need alot more stick time myself on mine but due to waiting on that darn paycheck I need more fuel and a new prop. A little bit of a hard landing took my prop tips right off. Let us know how the 3d progression goes.
Pillzee is offline Find More Posts by Pillzee
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:54 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
YFD please check out our tips an mod thread.
We've found that right behind the canopy is a weak point that needs alittle renforcement.

Also if you find any new tips or points on the V2 please post them.
The best way I enter a flat spin is in a vertical I'll chop the throttle wait 1 second, then full left rudder, wait 1 second then full elev, wait 1 second then a little right aileron. Then go full throttle to flatten your spin out.
I fly my twist now with my cg at 4.5 because of my disease (GBS) but in a flatspin it leaves the nose down somewhat. I use to have it a 5 1/4 but that takes some real getting use to. really sensitive on the elev.

I took the stiches out myself yesterday, no drama so I'm ready for the sticks again.
Now I just have to see how the weather plays out
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:09 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco169 View Post
while were somewhat on the topic of prop size, i have an os 1.20 surpass pump. its in a seagull edge 540 60. size, i have a 15x8 on it now but i havent even fired the engine.. does this sound about right? or should i pick up something else before the maiden on sunday?
thanks once again,
Ross
Hi Rosco - Some of it depends on how you want to fly. The current OS120 pumped is 14x9, 14x10, 14x11, 15x8, 15x9, 15x10, 16x6.

These props are going to be pretty fast, longer take off and faster landings. If it were mine, I would try to get the pitch down for high alpha stuff. Get the biggest prop that will fit then go down on the pitch. As long as you can get the static RPMs in the 9 to 10K range it should work.

The 15x8 will obviously work. You may not have the low-end torque you want.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:12 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O poor poor me, poor poor pitiful me.
O these winds won't leave me be
poor poor pitiful me.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:36 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
O poor poor me, poor poor pitiful me.
O these winds won't leave me be
poor poor pitiful me.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:50 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
Oh??? It is you too that sent this wind over?
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:42 PM
lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
thanks for the help guys, i just found a 16x6 in my odds and ends ill take with me
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:39 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the help guys, i just found a 16x6 in my odds and ends ill take with me
Rember to use a tach to set the engine. A 16x4W would probably be great.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:45 PM
lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
Wayne, i will use a tack for sure, any comment or instruction on breaking in this motor? it says in the book to run wide open and run very rich then 5 seconds of lean..
i have heard a few guys saying not to run wide open for break in. what is your preference? (i have had many 2 strokes and a few 4 strokes but have no experience in breaking in the 4 stroke..)

thanks
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:10 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,139 Posts
I say when in doubt follow the manual... that way if something breaks you can blame them
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:48 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
well the flight plan is filed,, wx looks good with mild tailwind...

went and flew the TT40 for the last time tonight (in Vegas)... she handled the gusty 20-30 mph winds well, as usual.

She and all the others are packed and ready for the 3500 mile trip, (the TT40 is easy to get out if needed after a long day of travel)

see you boys in a few days...
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:52 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Wayne, i will use a tack for sure, any comment or instruction on breaking in this motor? it says in the book to run wide open and run very rich then 5 seconds of lean..
i have heard a few guys saying not to run wide open for break in. what is your preference? (i have had many 2 strokes and a few 4 strokes but have no experience in breaking in the 4 stroke..)

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I say when in doubt follow the manual... that way if something breaks you can blame them
The book is good.

A five or 10 minute initial run at 3k to 4k won't hurt anything.

Suggestions:
  1. Use a fuel with some castor or add castor. 2.5oz of castor is about 2% in a gallon.
  2. Don't install the cowl.
  3. Get a helper.
  4. Install an allen wrench in the HSN.
  5. Have a rag ready to wipe up the slop.
  6. Take your time, don't get in a hurry.
  7. Check for loose stuff before every start. Muffler bolts, engine mount, everything.
  8. Tighten the prop after every run, especially wood props.
  9. Use a long vent line so you can get that fuel away from the plane. You can tie it to the main gear leg.
The OS 1.20 manual says open the throttle fully and leave it there. Then tune the HSN to nearly peak. I would use a tach and set it to 100 to 200 below peak. Then open the HSN one full turn. If you installed the allen wrench, this is easy. You leave it rich for 10 seconds, cooling and lubricant, then peak it to the same setting as previous for five seconds then back to rich.

You do that for two tanks. You are also gradually supposed to lengthen the time you are running it lean. I would not run it longer until about 1/2 of the first tank is done. This would be tedious to me so I would break it up into 3 or 4 minute runs with a few minutes break between them.

Don't get complacent! That much high speed on a test bench is dangerous if you get careless!

You will start flying with the rich (one turn open) setting. Then you can lean it out over the next 10 flights. Always use a tach when leaning and keep it 200 rpm below peak.

Once you are done with the high speed run, adjust the LSN for smooth transition. My Saito 1.00 needed to be turned 1 1/2 turns lean.

After about 5 or 6 flights, I recommend you check the valves. They may be fine but it won't hurt to check them. You need to know how anyway.

That's all I got.
Last edited by waynemia; Jun 04, 2011 at 09:28 AM.