HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:01 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,584 Posts
Welcome to the madness Mike.

Wayne seems to have you covered on the prop. I'm running the 55 on a Tweplica (scratchbuilt T---t 40) with a 12-6 MAS and it pulls great, but the 13-4 may be better for hover and such. Also Plowboy recommends a 12-7 MAS scimitar on the 61. May work on the 55, but I haven't tried it.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:11 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,877 Posts
Thanks for the compliment K49. It's too funny... I don't even belong to the local club here but I have a great crowd of friends that I fly with at the turf farm. The club field is really nice with a nice big runway and astro turf... not to mention the nice stands and covered patio behind the pitts... I just can't get over how far it is to drive out there and how close and convenient the turf farm is.

One thing is for sure... I do have enthusiasm for the hobby... I annoy my poor wife with it
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:42 PM
Unregistered User
United States, MO, Winston
Joined Jan 2011
812 Posts
We have a "wife" rule at our field. If anyone's wife ask how much did that cost, our response is always 50 bucks. So when the other Kerwin shows up to the field with his big Green Machine and someone's wife ask how much would something that size cost? the correct answer would be 50 bucks.............
Kerwin49 is online now Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:26 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
can't wait to pull thru NY and the other east coast towns
Pull being the operable word, Mt. Flyer. I am not sure that rig would go around some of the curves around here, and it would definitely be a "pull" up some of the twisty hills. And the roads in NH are so bad they may crumple underneath the rig, kind of like some of on those car commercials. We usually need to put a new front end in our cars every two or three years. Its called the "NH Advantage". Seriously though, hope you have a great trip!
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:40 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
here ya go

63' 11" bumper to bumper, 12' 11" tall...
min 13-1 on overpasses at a slow pace

can't wait to pull thru NY and the other east coast towns
When you come out this way, Our exit is a knuckle with construction, the one just west <before it> works better and the same locations can be reached.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:42 PM
lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
RCmike

i have an irvine 53 on my t___t 40 now and i run an 11x7 it hovers around 2/3 throttle, and wide open is fast!

i have had great sucess with this motor and prop combo, i run my motor a little on the rich side and have never had a deadstick.

+1 for irvine motors,
Ross
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:02 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Ah dang Wayne I'd love to join your game... did you just get 5.5? I'm just stuck at werk...
No, I have had it for quite a while. Free upgrade from 5.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco169 View Post
RCmike

i have an irvine 53 on my t___t 40 now and i run an 11x7 it hovers around 2/3 throttle, and wide open is fast!

i have had great sucess with this motor and prop combo, i run my motor a little on the rich side and have never had a deadstick.

+1 for irvine motors,
Ross
We run 11x6 props on .46 size engines on trainers. The 55AX is a major power difference.

The recommended props are

Recommended Props: 12x7, 12x8, 13x6, 13x7

This means a 13x4W looks just about right.

I repaired two Fun Jet Ultras today. . (Not Mine) Nose broken off both of them. Hmmmm...

I should add some CF rod on both sides of mine.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:15 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,773 Posts
hey I had a second

Have fun on the drive MT Flyer road trips are awesome adventures.

Welcome RCMikeofIndiana yup try out that 13x4w for sure

Kerwin 49 I love the $50.00 rule LOL we use the $15.00 and a cupcake rule LOL

Brathanke I want to see the Knife edge cartwheel I love those

MSchulz bummer on the maiden I'm sure there will be a posting of the vid once you get her up there though
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:06 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Hosting 5.5, waynemia

I will be in and out though.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:14 AM
United States, IN, Griffith
Joined Sep 2010
80 Posts
Thanks to all for the prop info. I'm hoping to hit the field this Saturday with it. (No, that was NOT a play on words!!!lol!)
RCMikeofIndiana is offline Find More Posts by RCMikeofIndiana
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:19 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,504 Posts
yeah some times a man has to watch what he says.

Never but never say one more time
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:37 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,877 Posts
Well... I had a 20 sec flight on my 3dhs edge today.

Yes... only about 20 seconds! Actually 20 seconds might be a stretch. I flew it straight up out of a hand launch. When it was up pretty high I rolled it over into an inverted flat spin. The spin was so nice and tasty that I held onto it until the plane was about 20-30 ft high. Well, when I rolled over and went to punch out there was no power. So it just ended in a harrier landing in the thick grass and broke out my landing gear... AGAIN! Each time I have fixed it I have extended the epoxy to more of the inside guts so depending on what broke out this time I may end up trashing the airframe. I'll investigate later tonight.

It looks like the offending part may be a loose bullet connector between the ESC and the motor. I have no idea how that could have come loose but just at a glance through the cowl I can see that one of the connectors isn't pushed all the way in so it may be getting intermittent contact. I guess too much Huckin? I can't imagine it would be a problem with the motor and I'd think if the ESC went bad I would have lost the BEC portion as well. When I go to apply power the motor just kind of clicks back and forth a little... never really making a full revolution in either direction.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:12 PM
I Just Want to Hover!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2004
700 Posts
ESC to motor connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post

It looks like the offending part may be a loose bullet connector between the ESC and the motor. I have no idea how that could have come loose but just at a glance through the cowl I can see that one of the connectors isn't pushed all the way in so it may be getting intermittent contact. I guess too much Huckin? I can't imagine it would be a problem with the motor and I'd think if the ESC went bad I would have lost the BEC portion as well. When I go to apply power the motor just kind of clicks back and forth a little... never really making a full revolution in either direction.
A motor clicking back and forth is a sign of a loose/intermittent connection between the ESC and the motor.

With three wires on a brushless motor, only two wires connected won't let the motor know which direction to turn. That's why you can switch any two connectors out of three and change the direction of the motor.

There is no such thing as too much huckin!

Bill
Bill Martins is offline Find More Posts by Bill Martins
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:23 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,584 Posts
Guys - just got my hardware order in from Trimcraft. Ordered on Monday, got it today. Under 20 bucks for a pound and a half of hardware. Great quality. Totally happy. I highly recommend you check him out if you need hardware. Can't beat the price or the service.

Thanks for the tip Mshulz.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Jun 02, 2011, 06:46 PM
lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
while were somewhat on the topic of prop size, i have an os 1.20 surpass pump. its in a seagull edge 540 60. size, i have a 15x8 on it now but i havent even fired the engine.. does this sound about right? or should i pick up something else before the maiden on sunday?
thanks once again,
Ross
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169