HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,209 Posts
Happy Memorial day.

I just got done flying my 47 Edge and it was a hoot. It's the first time I have flown it long enough to go through all 5 packs and I did it in just over an hour. I am getting better at rolling harriers with it but I have a lot of work to do on controlling my throttle. I had a mishap on my second to last flight where my battery came loose from the velcro holding it in (never had that happen in over 20 flights) I had done a particularly violent blender and I figure that's what did it. Anyways... the sudden change in cg made it really hard to land. It was like flying a kite. I made 5 or 6 passes before I was able to land it.

I took the twist out to fly but I left my glow ignitor so it never even got put together. Again... no vids

Overall a really fun time with my 4 yr old son.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 12:42 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
OK, here is my version of breaking in and tuning a Saito 1.00 4 Stk engine. From new in the box to ready for the plane.

Saito 1.00 GK Break-In (14 min 25 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old May 30, 2011, 01:06 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
My last launcher proved unsuccessful.

I built a catapult launcher. This is the first unsuccessful test. We really have too much wind but I could not resist. Based on this test, the launcher was made 5" narrower and the front lowered 4".

It does look like it will eventually work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT1bXDVzehQ
Old May 30, 2011, 01:28 PM
Safety Officer of the Year
Joined Jan 2011
961 Posts
That was a great snap roll with the Easystar!
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old May 30, 2011, 03:15 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin49 View Post
That was a great snap roll with the Easystar!
Oh, it will do that in flight too. Inverted, inside loops, outside loops, and rolls. I can't get a knife edge though. Maybe it needs some SFGs?
Old May 30, 2011, 04:04 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,585 Posts
[QUOTE=waynemia;18370802]OK, here is my version of breaking in and tuning a Saito 1.00 4 Stk engine. From new in the box to ready for the plane.

Wayne,
Thanks for the video...very informative and helpful.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old May 30, 2011, 04:26 PM
Safety Officer of the Year
Joined Jan 2011
961 Posts
Mike hows the wind in
Chicago? We are having 40mph gust and high 20's constant. It's driving me crazy, I just want to fly again. This season the winds have been terrible. May have to move to Utah, sounds like they are flying out there.

PS Wayne can't wait to see the video of the Easystar rolling and the knife edge!!!!!!!
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old May 30, 2011, 04:29 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,585 Posts
Quote:
Mike hows the wind in
Chicago? We are having 40mph gust and high 20's constant. It's driving me crazy, I just want to fly again. This season the winds have been terrible. May have to move to Utah, sounds like they are flying out there.
First warm and sunny day...and the winds are extreme...base 20mph with gusts to 40+; tomorrow is cloudy and rainy with more wind; looks like Wednesday is the first decent opportunity. Waldo says he and his buddies fly in any wind or weather conditions; it makes them better pilots; wonder if he would fly in this? If I was really good, I could probably execute a VTOL with my T___T 60, but only with the Saito 1.15 on it!
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old May 30, 2011, 05:11 PM
lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
well guys, the clouds have finally lifted here in old nova scotia.. the rain stopped too!
had the t___t out for a couple flights this afternoon, winds were 15 gusting to 25 KMS so it was a little breezy. i managed to bend the gear on the last touch and go.. ooops

its a shame most of you guys are having bad weather i can imagine your thumbs are just itching!!

i still didnt start the bwipe, im having too much fun with the regular that im goin to wait untill she gets her first beauty marks before i start hacking..

im going to maiden the edge this weekend with the os120 pump ill try and get some one to video it for you guys, there should be lots of people around as this weekend is our annual fun-fly..

fly safe,
Ross
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169
Old May 30, 2011, 05:30 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Sounds great Ross
What is KMS and and converted to mph
Yes please post a video, we love video's
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 30, 2011, 05:50 PM
lets do the Twist
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
oops sorry, i use the term KMS instead of KPH (kilometers) its works out around 10MPH gusting to 18. it dosnt seem like much, but it was crosswind today
rosco169 is offline Find More Posts by rosco169
Old May 30, 2011, 06:33 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Mike hows the wind in

PS Wayne can't wait to see the video of the Easystar rolling and the knife edge!!!!!!!

Rolling is all rudder. Can't knife edge though.
Old May 30, 2011, 06:43 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,052 Posts
God Bless our Military everywhere.

Wayne LOL That bungee launcher is awesome Maybe just a too tad powerfull for the EasyStar which created the snap roll but looks awesome and i bet would work great on other planes.
Nice Saito vid also

MSchulz Hell yeah we fly in that weather its not always pretty but we refuse to lose flying days to Mother N. we'd rather lose a plane to a crash instead LOL But we have oodles of glue and balsa and aren't afraid to use it
The intention is never to crash but high winds really takes the level of flying up a few notches, I love coming down the runway in a high cross wind slipping the plane in or even watching it fly by sideways its just awesome, and once you do it a few times its way easier than you'd think, Its really intimidating to people who haven't flown in cross winds too much, but with a good trainer type plane you can practice and get good at it real fast. Its easier than most 3D maneuvers thats for sure.
Of course there are certain planes you wouldn't fly in those kinds of winds, (25mph or better) but The T_ _ _ T isn't one of them, as I have found the T_ _ _ T rocks the skys in just about any wind at all. The only plane in my fleet I really ground in an extreme strong wind is my 1/4 scale Tripe and my Kadet and mostly because the wind just blows it around on the runway so its tough to keep them from flipping over, They handle fine in the sky. I just hate flying one plane and then out of the corner of my eye I see my kadet tumbling across the field Dang Wind ROTFLOL As long as you have fun it makes no difference.

Rosco Glad to hear you got out there for some flights yes its a blast, but if you set up the Bwipe the right way you won't compromise the regular T_ _ _ T in anyway, I altered nothing at all on the fuse and made 3 completely new wings for the Twipe but its just as easy to make the bottom wing so it can except struts and then you can just pop them off when you want to have the regular Twist. all you have to do is make 4 balsa Ply ribs for the bottom wing and set it up the same on the upper wing. and your good to go. very simple and your gonna love how it flys I promise. I don't even do anything different to the CG but if you add a 3rd wing well you'll need 1lb 9oz in the nose LOL

Brathanke That sounds great, you really make me miss me not getting my edge yet LOL

Kerwin50 thats awesome about insanemoondoggie, Haven't heard from him in a long time tell him we said hey.

And too all our other T_ _ _ Ted brothers we hopefully will be hearing from again soon were missing a bunch.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old May 30, 2011, 06:57 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Those gust are what kills a man, A steady wind is alot easier to deal with.
I've broke many a prop and damaged the landing gear from having the wind drop suddenly on you also.
I love the way a twist wind soars.
The biggest thing I've found about flying in the wind is you need a good running motor with good throttle response.
A click of throttle a click of rpm

I got the bandage off my thumb, it's healing well. The wife wants to wait another day before I get the stiches out.
I'm getting anxouis to put it back on the sticks.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 30, 2011, 08:05 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I think there are three keys to flying in the wind in my opinion:
  1. Be proficient with the rudder
  2. Keep the ground speed up
  3. Practice

We have too many RC pilots that dont' add power to compensate for headwind. We also have too many that pull the throttle to idle and then force the landing and won't add power as needed or go around if it gets out of hand.

The rudder allows steering while keeping the wings level and all the lift verticle.

We also have a lot of guys that never fly in the wind. When I am helping someone learn, we fly as long as I can handle the wind with the plane. This gets them working the turns and maintaining altitude in windy conditions.

BUT ENOUGH ALREADY!
Last edited by waynemia; May 30, 2011 at 08:16 PM.