Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
This is on and RC car?!

I don't care then.

LOL Hell no, jerk!

I just meant r/c cars tend to be really picky about air leaks, but airplanes in my experience don't really seem to care as much. Maybe this little 56 is picky. like an rc car. *Shrug*

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old May 28, 2011, 07:12 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlw36 View Post
Looking good Dan. What engine and prop?
Saito 100 with a modified Turbo exhaust

1.) 15 x 8 2 bld gives 8900rpm
2.) 15.5 x 12 4bld gives 8800rpm although it takes longer to spool

max limit is 11K on the 100
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old May 28, 2011, 08:42 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
LOL Hell no, jerk!

I just meant r/c cars tend to be really picky about air leaks, but airplanes in my experience don't really seem to care as much. Maybe this little 56 is picky. like an rc car. *Shrug*

-Eric
Well, OK then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
Saito 100 with a modified Turbo exhaust

1.) 15 x 8 2 bld gives 8900rpm
2.) 15.5 x 12 4bld gives 8800rpm although it takes longer to spool

max limit is 11K on the 100
I may get mine cranked up soon. Pretty hot now. I am planning a three blade MAS. I need to check the size I got. I think yours is alot bigger.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old May 28, 2011, 11:09 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,750 Posts
Wow sorry to hear about the co pilots also, thats always tough. Glad to hear you got back out there Outlw, thats too long to be away. I'm about to have the next 2 weekends off from flying now

Brathanke thats awesome, sounds like you were having a great day for sure even if you can't prove it

Mt That looks awesome for sure can't wait to see her in the sky, love the photo too lol I was flying my Giant Jug today which brings me to a Saito question

Saito 1.80 Question
I think I'm suppose to be getting around 10,000 RPMs with my new Saito 1.80 with an 18x6 prop but when I get to about 8400 it makes some noises like its getting way too lean so I of course opened it back up and am on the edge of 7900 - 8000 I'm using 15% 2 stroke fuel also Hmmm maybe thats not good either LOL, do I need to be doing something else or Is it just not broke in enough yet it has about 35-45 minutes of run time on it so far at the recommended 5 turns open. probably need to change the plug to an OS F also I'm not sure whats on there now, but the engine runs awesome and the plane flys great.

I didn't have the Tweplica with me today as I didn't get a chance to look at it from last weeks surprises in the sky.

The wife had the camera so I didn't get any video BUT before anyone says anything My friend Tek got some vids of the p-47 then his battery died LOL so I think thats all we got today. I don't know if he got the landing or not.

Wayne LOL I use my kadet for a good work horse also I think you may be right about the Stik being a good tow plane, Can't wait to see the catapult launch and I usually make accessory boxes with dowels on them that way I can rubber band them onto the wing dowels under the plane, and if anyone else wants to use the box it can be rubber banded on to their planes as well.
I made a tow release boxwith rubber band attachment for my glider which also doubles as a banner or flag flyer ifI want to strap it on to another plane, and then you can drop the banner before you land

Kerwin I'll take some close up pics of our stands for you if you want, there just standard table stands you pretty much see at all these guys fields, we don't have a plan sheet for it though.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old May 29, 2011, 12:15 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Wow sorry to hear about the co pilots also, thats always tough. Glad to hear you got back out there Outlw, thats too long to be away. I'm about to have the next 2 weekends off from flying now

Brathanke thats awesome, sounds like you were having a great day for sure even if you can't prove it

Mt That looks awesome for sure can't wait to see her in the sky, love the photo too lol I was flying my Giant Jug today which brings me to a Saito question

Saito 1.80 Question
I think I'm suppose to be getting around 10,000 RPMs with my new Saito 1.80 with an 18x6 prop but when I get to about 8400 it makes some noises like its getting way too lean so I of course opened it back up and am on the edge of 7900 - 8000 I'm using 15% 2 stroke fuel also Hmmm maybe thats not good either LOL, do I need to be doing something else or Is it just not broke in enough yet it has about 35-45 minutes of run time on it so far at the recommended 5 turns open. probably need to change the plug to an OS F also I'm not sure whats on there now, but the engine runs awesome and the plane flys great.

I didn't have the Tweplica with me today as I didn't get a chance to look at it from last weeks surprises in the sky.

The wife had the camera so I didn't get any video BUT before anyone says anything My friend Tek got some vids of the p-47 then his battery died LOL so I think thats all we got today. I don't know if he got the landing or not.

Wayne LOL I use my kadet for a good work horse also I think you may be right about the Stik being a good tow plane, Can't wait to see the catapult launch and I usually make accessory boxes with dowels on them that way I can rubber band them onto the wing dowels under the plane, and if anyone else wants to use the box it can be rubber banded on to their planes as well.
I made a tow release boxwith rubber band attachment for my glider which also doubles as a banner or flag flyer ifI want to strap it on to another plane, and then you can drop the banner before you land

Kerwin I'll take some close up pics of our stands for you if you want, there just standard table stands you pretty much see at all these guys fields, we don't have a plan sheet for it though.
Remember that 10K is in flight NOT static...
8000 max on ground (static) I think what you have is detonation.... richen it, if it goes away that's what it is...

15% is ok what is the oil content.. not less than 18% I hope... add 2oz of castor per gallon.... can't hurt...
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old May 29, 2011, 01:05 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Waldo, I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER saw more than about 8500rpm with a 16x8, 18x6, whatever, with my Saito 1.80 on 30% heli fuel. Actually seemed to like a 17x8 the best on 30%. Never tached it on that, but on an 18x8W it was only pulling around 7500. I'd assume 8000 or so on the 17x8 on heli fuel.

Don't tune it to hit an rpm you think it needs to. Peak it, then back it off 300-500 and you're good. It'll work.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old May 29, 2011, 01:49 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,584 Posts
OK guys, I'm having a major brain F@rt. One of you has a friend selling hardware. I forgot who, and like a dummy did not put it into my favorites. Help
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old May 29, 2011, 05:14 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Waldo, I totally love Saitos, but like any engine, tuning them is hard for me. I know the basic proceedure, use a tach and find the peak and back down about 300 rpm on the rich side. But finding the peak is tricky because unlike a 2S you don't have the sound to guide you as much and I worry about going to lean. Plus, it is such a noisy nerve rattling thing and it sucks up a tank a fuel quickly. And the you have to tune the low end by making it so lean it will just barely run. And then you are supposed to go back and do the high end again. Mine run pretty well but are probably too rich and use more fuel than they should. They use a lot of fuel running rich. I wish there was some info somewhere that tells the approximate RPM with a given prop for each engine. That would help us know when we were in the ballpack.

BTW I am running 20% nitro fuel. But I think if you can get it to run well on 15% you will save money on fuel. Hey Mt. Flyer, you seem to know these Saitos. If I wanted to try 15% nitro fuel instead of 20%, would I need to set the engines a little richer or leaner?

I am running Saitos on almost all my planes now. I think it was a video that someone (Waynemia?) posted showing two Twists, one with 2S and one with 4S that got me to try my first Saito. I love the way they run and sound. And I was definitely a 2S guy before I tried my first Saito. Good luck with your new Saito!
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old May 29, 2011, 08:37 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
OK guys, I'm having a major brain F@rt. One of you has a friend selling hardware. I forgot who, and like a dummy did not put it into my favorites. Help
That would be Mike... MShultz
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 29, 2011, 09:21 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Hey, that was me....my friend sells hardware - screws, bolts, washers, etc. at the following web site:

http://www.trimcraftaviationrc.com/

Great prices; can't go wrong; great quality stuff; fair shipping prices.

Hope this helps,
Mike
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old May 29, 2011, 09:30 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,347 Posts
Ok I have to vent a little bit...thanks in advance for listening!
The weather here in Chicago stinks! It has been over two weeks since I've had a decent fly day. I went to the field yesterday and the wind was over 15mph, it was only about 45degrees, and it was cloudy with poor visibility so you could easily lose sight of your plane at the far end of the pattern. Certainly not a day to maiden a new plane, so I didn't even bring my Su-26 with me to the field. Figured I would try to fly my trainer which I use for training new pilots in our club.....40 size Avistar...fired it up, took off, hovered for a few moments in the wind <g> and turned into the pattern, and the engine died. Had to dead stick it with the wind at it's back...managed to land safely. Decided to try my foam Yak-54 which was a hoot to fly - more like a kite instead of a plane in that wind. After one flight, that was enough of that...it was hard to see the plane because of visibility and the fact the plane is mostly white...so hard to see against a cloudy sky. Figured I would pack it in and try again tomorrow...so here I am today, and it is still cloudy with visibility poor, and a fog advisory! And thunderstorms forecast very soon...I attached a weather satellite photo of what's headed my way. Now I look at the weather for tomorrow..hot...sunny.......and a wind advisory....winds 20-25 all day. Arghhh....trying hard to be patient. Thanks for letting me vent.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old May 29, 2011, 09:57 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,584 Posts
Thanks Mike. Got it in my favorites now. Be ordering soon.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old May 29, 2011, 10:16 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,750 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellas So I'm right in the ball park at 8,000 well thats where it seemed to run the best anyway so I'll leave it alone, I was just going by the Saito Instruction book for break in and it has the 18x6 prop tached at 10,000 so I'm glad I didn't just get determined to hit that mark.

Mt Yes the 15% I have has 18% oil I'll be getting some four stroke fuel just haven't been to the LHS in a bit. and I'm sure it was detonation for sure. I did richin it back up until she was purring again.

RC I've never run Heli fuel Is that better than the 4 stroke fuel (Higher Oil Content or something?)

U2 I've been a 2 stroke guy all my life really My first 4 stoke was the OS Surpass 70 and I never put a tach on that one just because I never had a tach LOL but she tuned up nicely, The Saito is of course much bigger and more expensive so I want to make sure its right so I'm going through the motions for sure. I think the Saito 1.80 gets about 9 minute flights with a 16 oz tank LOL

MS I hear your pain we decided a couple of years ago weather (wind, Rain) wasn't ever going to stop us again as we were losing too many weeks of flying because the weather wasn't right on our flying day, Now we just show and fly regardless of wind speed or how hard its raining we fly in the sprinkles if its a heavy rain day, Its only made better pilots out of all of us.
Heck we were flying in 20 plus winds all day yesterday. when we get a calm day its like hitting the lottery LOL
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old May 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Another view

Another view of weather west of Chicago. Strange.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004