SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2011, 02:05 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
I've got a T__T 60 with a Magnum .91 on it; flies great. Not sure what the CG is! I'll check when I get home from work tonight. It hovers and does all kinds of fun stuff; pullouts from a hover are not quick, however, so you do have to be a bit careful. I'm contemplating the idea of putting my Saito 1.15 back on this thing to have more power, but I haven't wanted to take the time to do that right now. Besides, she flies pretty good just as she is.

I had a plane blow off the table a week or two ago (:<) ripped the rudder right off the plane; that one is repaired and flying again now!

Hehe....thanks and one thing I like about the twist is that it is basically cheap but very fun
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 02:07 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I don't think a 91 4 stk is enough engine. I had a 91FX with MACs muffler and I would not want to go down from there. JMHO.

Looking for some great pics.

The replacement muffler came in for the JBA. I might get that assembled this afternoon.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a fly day.

I am buddy boxing with the guy that bought my FunCub. It is a lot of fun. It has been handling 15mph wind really well. I have not worked with the flaps a lot yet.
Yeah, it will probably be on the very edge of 3D but I need a home for this ASP and the Twist seems like a good fit so it's going in ,lol. I can't really hover yet anyway, lol
Old May 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Yeah, it will probably be on the very edge of 3D but I need a home for this ASP and the Twist seems like a good fit so it's going in ,lol. I can't really hover yet anyway, lol
I've been learning to hover with my T__T 60, it is quite an experience. Make sure you get the right prop for this configuration and give yourself plenty of altitude. You will want a wide prop at a lower pitch. I have found a 14x4W prop works best for me.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old May 25, 2011, 02:25 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
I've been learning to hover with my T__T 60, it is quite an experience. Make sure you get the right prop for this configuration and give yourself plenty of altitude. You will want a wide prop at a lower pitch. I have found a 14x4W prop works best for me.

Yeah, I was going to start with a 14x6 (mainly cause I have one, lol). I can harrier pretty good with My Aeroworks extra 300 but Hovering is something I am still working on.....maybe the Twisty will help me get better
Old May 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Yeah, I was going to start with a 14x6 (mainly cause I have one, lol). I can harrier pretty good with My Aeroworks extra 300 but Hovering is something I am still working on.....maybe the Twisty will help me get better
I had a 14x6 on mine and it didn't work so well when trying to do 3D stuff. Otherwise, it flew great on the 14x6.

What size Aeroworks Extra 300 do you have? And what kind of engine do you have on it? What is worth the premium price to get an AW product?
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2011, 03:03 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
I had a 14x6 on mine and it didn't work so well when trying to do 3D stuff. Otherwise, it flew great on the 14x6.

What size Aeroworks Extra 300 do you have? And what kind of engine do you have on it? What is worth the premium price to get an AW product?
Hmmm...good to know on the prop....I will pick up a 14x4 and try both.

I have the 60-90 sized (60.5" wingspan) extra from Aeroworks. I have a Saito 100 on it and maidened it last weekend. The plane is a bit over 7 pounds and that 100 seems to be a good match. It has enough power for 3D but it's not crazy. It will hover around 3/4 throttle I would say. It is a VERY nice ARF and the quality seems be be top notch. Worth the price I would say. It is a very sturdy, well built plane (which is why it is a bit heavier than other in its class). Fly's very nice....stable as a rock, easy landings. Took off and needed two clicks up and thats it Had to mod the engine mount to get the motor to go far enough back and that was about it(not a major deal).

Very good quality kits (but yes, not cheap) and I would get another one.
Old May 25, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Tom,
Make sure you get yourself added to the Twistaholics Google Map.
mt_flyer, are you the one handling that?
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2011, 04:26 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,061 Posts
CRFan1 I'm just curious... when you try to go into a hover what part of the plane are your eyes naturally drawn to? Of course there is no substitute for practice but I remember have a really hard time learning to hover. I would get it into a hover and keep it there for maybe a few seconds before I'd put in a wrong rudder input or something and lose the hover.

What I realized after a while was that I was looking at the tail feathers the whole time which was causing some disorientation. When that clicked in my mind I started to look at the canopy and up and only glance at the tail feathers occasionally. Once I started doing that I was hovering at will in like 5 minutes. All that practice and it boiled down to something just clicking for me.

Hope this helps...

-Nate

P.S. All my practice was on realflight I was using G3.5 for probably a year before I ever got a real plane. Everyone was amazed when they saw me fly a real model for the first time. It was pretty funny. I must have saved at least a kazillion $ in airframes and 3 kazillion hours fixing broken airframes
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Hey guys, a while ago I mentioned I was looking for prescription sunglasses. I thought I would let you know I ordered some Model Glasses: www.modelglassesusa.com and they are great. My wife says they look good on me too. And for what I got I think it was a very fair price. I got a prescription set of glasses with 4 clip on lenses for different sky conditions. They are light, wrap around, and really feel great and work well. They come in a nice case and have a neck strap too. The company also has model glasses that are suitable for non presciption use.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old May 25, 2011, 05:16 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,061 Posts
That's cool u2builder. It's always nice when you find something you really like.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 25, 2011, 06:03 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Thanks U2, that's good stuff. What is going on with your maidens? Have you had a chance yet?

Mt. Flyer is the keeper of the map, Dad Roman is the keeper of the lists, NoMatta is the keeper of the plans, also, Waldo keeps the cupcakes and Wayne keeps the waffles!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old May 25, 2011, 06:19 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Tom,
Make sure you get yourself added to the Twistaholics Google Map.
mt_flyer, are you the one handling that?
Not sure what that is, lolol
Old May 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
CRFan1 I'm just curious... when you try to go into a hover what part of the plane are your eyes naturally drawn to? Of course there is no substitute for practice but I remember have a really hard time learning to hover. I would get it into a hover and keep it there for maybe a few seconds before I'd put in a wrong rudder input or something and lose the hover.

What I realized after a while was that I was looking at the tail feathers the whole time which was causing some disorientation. When that clicked in my mind I started to look at the canopy and up and only glance at the tail feathers occasionally. Once I started doing that I was hovering at will in like 5 minutes. All that practice and it boiled down to something just clicking for me.

Hope this helps...

-Nate

P.S. All my practice was on realflight I was using G3.5 for probably a year before I ever got a real plane. Everyone was amazed when they saw me fly a real model for the first time. It was pretty funny. I must have saved at least a kazillion $ in airframes and 3 kazillion hours fixing broken airframes
Thanks for the tip!! I do indeed concentrate on the tail feathers actually. I just started practicing this on the simulator and I am slowly getting it. I am getting good at harriers too which is kind of a first step I guess. I will try what you said and see if that helps!
Old May 25, 2011, 06:53 PM
Midwest Merkin Representitive
United States, MO, Cameron
Joined Jan 2011
906 Posts
Wow another weather day, spent an hour in the basement at work while the sirens were going off. All is well here, but hit another city a couple hours away.
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old May 25, 2011, 07:23 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
How's Kerwin's thumb?
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966