HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2011, 06:25 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Man! The wind hasn't laid down since I got here! Still, I'm afraid to complain too much because others have had it worse. Strange weather patterns this year, so far.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Strange for sure. Snowed 6" at the mine I work at 2 days ago. Mine is at 6500'.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old May 21, 2011, 07:02 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Waldo - an old school test from back in the Reed days. Suspend the aircraft by using rubber bands on the wing so you can control it, but is free to vibrate. Run the engin up and down while working controls. You may have a loose connection somewhere. When on the ground or restrained, you change the way the airframe vibrates. Hanging from rubber bands allows the airframe to resonate or whatever and sometimes the problem will show up than. With reeds, vibration was always a problem. All ground checks were good, but they would go nuts in the air. Just one more test to try. FWIW
I like it Bob. Hang it on a swing set. You could fly loops.

I flew the easy star in 30+ mpg gusty winds. EZ* is my go to plane when nothing else works or to risky to damage.

I also got to maiden a Multiplex FunCub. The wind came down to about 12mph so I dook the opportunity. Pretty cool and it looks cool. The wind picked up to 20mph again so I set it down. For all you EXPO haters, I forgot to dial it in so I was just flying the sticks.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; May 21, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:18 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
For all you EXPO haters, I forgot to dial it in so I was just flying the sticks.
I dont hate it, I have learned it is good if in moderation. 8)
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old May 21, 2011, 07:19 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Video

No real thrills, cool plane.

Wild Bill's Texas RC DR1 (4 min 32 sec)
Old May 21, 2011, 09:20 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Wayne, the visual of the plane on the swing set is priceless!
Old May 21, 2011, 09:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,864 Posts
Got a couple flights on the twist tonight. I couldn't believe the crowd that gathered around the turf farm while I was flying. Normally I would head over to the other side of the farm to have the sun at my back but there currently isn't any good grass over there right now so I was looking into the sun the whole time. The good thing is I got some new sun glasses so it was bearable. I took them off for a second when I was getting ready to pack up and instantly felt bad for those watching cuz I had been flying right through the sun a couple times and didn't realize how blinding it was.

I had about 10-15 mph wind also so I had some fun playing in that. like 2-3 mph harrier passes. I really love this plane. I guess I never knew what I was missing till I got one. The saito continues to impress but I noticed that I didn't have the punch out of a hover that I had yesterday. I wonder if it was because of the wind? I was hovering with the wing parallel with the wind direction. I couldn't pull straight up out of my hover... it required me to put the nose forward a little to punch out. I'm wondering what all you other twisters experience with that when its windy. Overall... another successful, albeit short, outing.

On another note I had the pleasure of enlarging and tapping a ST muffler nipple hole and got some new props at the LHS while I was at it. I picked up a 15x4w in anticipation of the OS FS 91
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 22, 2011, 06:40 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
My twist is a blast to fly in the wind.
I have an OS 61 fx on mine so the punch out is alot different but I have a 2nd twist that I may put a magnum 70 4 stroke on it

O the weather the weather. This area is a breeding ground for storms. They just pop up out of no where.
Yesterday I was watching the radar and wind hoping it would lay. And sure enough it laid down from calm to a light breeze around 6 but radar showed 3 storm cells heading our way and 2 of them were producing tornados.

My biggest problem is I have a small pick-up so I'm afraid of having the mx in the back during thunder storm.

Right now it's cloudy and a tad windy.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 22, 2011, 08:32 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Nate, tune that Saito with a tach at around 200 under peak. Can't really do a good job by ear on a 4S. If you are already doing that then I don't know why the power would change from one day to the next, unless you changed fuels perhaps?
Old May 22, 2011, 09:31 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Nate, tune that Saito with a tach at around 200 under peak. Can't really do a good job by ear on a 4S. If you are already doing that then I don't know why the power would change from one day to the next, unless you changed fuels perhaps?
You may have struck a nerve there on the fuel. I ran out of one bottle and opened up the next one. They are the same brand but may have come from different batches. I used a tach to tune it the first time but I went a little richer than was probably necessary... about 500 under peak. I'll re-tune it the next time out.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:31 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Biggest problem with people tuning FS engines. Another is the plug. I personally thing the OS F plug makes a lot of difference. My Saitos work best with 15% or more Nitro. I have some 25% and the Saito 82 loves the stuff. Then the low-end needle. I am finicky about setting the low-end needle.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:57 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Biggest problem with people tuning FS engines. Another is the plug. I personally thing the OS F plug makes a lot of difference. My Saitos work best with 15% or more Nitro. I have some 25% and the Saito 82 loves the stuff. Then the low-end needle. I am finicky about setting the low-end needle.

I had been using 15%... I ran out and tried 20/20... much better performance and lower idle
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old May 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Quote:
One of our local guys mixes 30% Heli with 15% areo for all his 4 strokes, they seem to do very well on that mix.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:54 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,864 Posts
I can see more nitro helping but I wont buy higher nitro content at this point in life. The 15% costs enough i think i can gain what i need just tuning a little leaner as plow mentioned. I think the bottle of fuel i just opened might have gotten stiffed on nitro a little.
Old May 22, 2011, 12:28 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I can see more nitro helping but I wont buy higher nitro content at this point in life. The 15% costs enough i think i can gain what i need just tuning a little leaner as plow mentioned. I think the bottle of fuel i just opened might have gotten stiffed on nitro a little.
Omega is my preferred fuel. I also use PowerMaster sometimes.

Cool Power would be my next choice. I know some call it cruel power but Morgan Fuels have worked well for me.