HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:36 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong guys but on Waldo's tweplica build he posted a set of down load able plans that you can take to kinko's.
I've been having heart attacks lately looking at all the prices on hobby. Just 3 years ago I paid 150 for my OS 61 and now it's sister is 210.
It wasn't all that long ago I was buyuing balsa 3, 36, 3/32 for 30 cents a sheet now it's close to a buck.

O retirement isn't what it's cracked up to be, mainly because you still gotta do somthing for extra cash. Anyways I gotta change a raditor hose for a guy instead of flying on this wonderful day.
They say the cold snap is coming with a -20 air mass over canada moving our way.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:02 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,941 Posts
Help You Make It To Your Flight (2 min 10 sec)

says it all
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:34 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Wayne Nice about the slowstick maiden I was just reading the article in AMA about that plane get a vid if possible and good luck on the maiden.
The maiden "should" be a no brainer. This is the brushless version with an aluminum fuse. I wasn't thinking or I would have stuck with fiberglass. The motor looks ok but the connectors suck. They aere like the lectrical connector you would see on an old car.

The instructions are Chinglish. You would think as many years as they have been selling this it would have improved. Maybe they want us to learn Chinese?

They released a blue one after I ordered. The brushed one I had was yellow and this one is red. Better wheels on this one but other than that it is about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
how much?
The DX5e is $50 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
says it all
That video and song kinda sounds like somethin' Waldo might do. I hate all the homeland security crap. I don't think it is worth the money spent and I would personnally prefer taking the risk over the loss of freedom.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:12 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Here are some photos of the Slow Stick. I am going to start with a 2200mAh, 3S battery. The fuse is a square aluminum tube. You have to build it straight. The rudder is on the port side of the tube so there is a bit of offset there. Prop is a 10x6 slow fly. That is what came in the box so it MUST be right.

I have a gyro blade stick kit for this. ugh!

I also added a photo of the elevator repair on the WS120. Did I mention I don't like stick building. I have one break on the leading edge so I added a bit of square stock. I have one break a the trailling edge so I added the ply gusset.
Last edited by waynemia; Jan 05, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:57 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,941 Posts
[QUOTE=waynemia;17013409]Here are some photos of the Slow Stick. I am going to start with a 2200mAh, 3S battery. The fuse is a square aluminum tube. You have to build it straight. The rudder is on the port side of the tube so there is a bit of offset there. Prop is a 10x6 slow fly. That is what came in the box so it MUST be right.

QUOTE]

looks just like Horizons Slo-V that flew great indoors and NO wind conditions...
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:18 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Disaster strikes my Edge build!!!

I was working on my Edge this morning. I was trying to get the tail feathers put on... finally. Well I got the horizontal stab squared and glued in and was working on the fin. I got it all prepped to glue in place. I put glue all over the surfaces inside where the fin would slide into and started to slide it in. Well, it got half way and stopped. No amount of pressure would let it go farther so I tried to pull it out... well, I couldn't get it to budge either way. It was STUCK so hard! I said as I hurried to find something, anything to try and get that out of there! After freaking out for 5 minutes trying to find a way to get it out (don't have anything that eats CA glue)

I finally figured the plane is screwed now so who cares if I break something. I grabbed the fin in my fist and pulled with all my might till it finally ripped out. that was hard!

Well, its amazing how strong the tail of a plane really is. The fuse recieved zero damage but the fin broke up inside the monokote in several spots. I punctured the monokote and glued it all back together as best I could without stripping it. I may decide to strip it and glue it better.

Well, the second time I put it in first then glued it. I couldn't get it to seat all the way down in there like it should as you can see by the picutures the stripes on the rudder don't line up with the stripes on the fuse, but at least it is in there straight. See pics...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:24 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Did you use CA? Epoxy is slimy and gives you time to make adjustments.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:43 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
ya, next time epoxy for sure I used CA this time. What a mess! Lesson learned.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:54 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
You could've dremmeled out the slot so that the V-stab would seat all the way down. Dry fit, dry fit, dry fit.....then glue! LOL
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:55 PM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
632 Posts
Nate next time you need to setup a video camera. So we can all watch you run around in a panic trying to fix it... I'd have paid money to watch! lol Glade you got it fixed and at LEAST its on straight.
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:04 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
+1 !!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:37 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
LOL I wish I would have had it on video as well. I was swearing like a sailor though so it would have been pg-13 rated! My wife was very upset at me. I usually have very clean language. She's wondering what this hobby is doing to me.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:39 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
You could've dremmeled out the slot so that the V-stab would seat all the way down. Dry fit, dry fit, dry fit.....then glue! LOL
Dry fit all you want... if that CA decides to go off quicker than usual...

Epoxy on those from now on!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:51 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Dry fit, dry fit, dry fit.....then glue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyz View Post
Nate next time you need to setup a video camera. So we can all watch you run around in a panic trying to fix it... I'd have paid money to watch! lol Glade you got it fixed and at LEAST its on straight.
yep, yep, yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Dry fit all you want... if that CA decides to go off quicker than usual...

Epoxy on those from now on!
yep, yep, yep 30 minute epoxy. Let's you adjust it and let's it soak in some.

Dry-fit is your friend.

You normally have to remove the covering from the center of the h-stab and bottom of the fin so you are gluing to wood and not covering. This makes sure you dry fit it because you have to mark it. Was the covering already off on your ARF? I never saw one like that. If you did not remove the covering, you have a potential failure at some point in the future. When you glue to the covering, then the only thing holding the part on this the covering glue.

When I CA something that may need some positioning time, I use medium or thick CA because it sets more slowly.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:10 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I was working on my Edge this morning. I was trying to get the tail feathers put on... finally. Well I got the horizontal stab squared and glued in and was working on the fin. I got it all prepped to glue in place. I put glue all over the surfaces inside where the fin would slide into and started to slide it in. Well, it got half way and stopped. No amount of pressure would let it go farther so I tried to pull it out... well, I couldn't get it to budge either way. It was STUCK so hard! I said as I hurried to find something, anything to try and get that out of there! After freaking out for 5 minutes trying to find a way to get it out (don't have anything that eats CA glue)

I finally figured the plane is screwed now so who cares if I break something. I grabbed the fin in my fist and pulled with all my might till it finally ripped out. that was hard!

Well, its amazing how strong the tail of a plane really is. The fuse recieved zero damage but the fin broke up inside the monokote in several spots. I punctured the monokote and glued it all back together as best I could without stripping it. I may decide to strip it and glue it better.

Well, the second time I put it in first then glued it. I couldn't get it to seat all the way down in there like it should as you can see by the picutures the stripes on the rudder don't line up with the stripes on the fuse, but at least it is in there straight. See pics...
Nate arn't you married, I've gotten into my wife's fingernail polish remover more than once for the same thing.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50