BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,600 Posts
ain't that the truth

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
when momma's happy everyone is happy, when momma is pissie then everyone is in the dog house
Congrats
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:27 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,980 Posts
LOL brathanke I should break it up into 15 files LOL But i won't, I guess the build thread will have to be good enough, and I don't think anyone wants to print 278 pages anyway lol

Yes for the sake of world peace, KEEP THE MAMA HAPPY

David I'm working on it step by step, we already tested the duel tank thing and it worked great, we just haven't really used it yet.

U2 it was cool to be out there that far and yes I had a spotter as I just rebuilt that plane from scratch 2 weeks ago I wasn't ready to lose it because of some unforseen misfortune. Although my spotter had said he lost it so I imediately turned around and started heading back, as it doesn't really seem to be that high and far away when your looking at the FPV screen.

and yes My very first FPV flight I took off normally but landed in FPV mode I have been flying MS flight sim for many years so FPV mode wasn't to hard to get used to at all, I'm not even close to knowing what I'm doing but I have a great FPV friend at the field so with him over my shoulder and setting me up I have no fear at all. which could be bad LOL

I went off the runway doing FPV with my SkyRaider also last weekend I guess it turned left and was in the corn stalks I kept it floored for a little while and poked some holes in the covering and eventually had to shut it down lol my friend asked WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU GOING I said I thought up and I also thought the runway ended rather quickly lol so I took back off and then had an Evolution flame out in the middle of the flight and landed back in the corn field again lol I know we have the vid of that flight it will be posted soon I'm sure.

Good to hear from you Plow bummer on the crash.

we get another day of flying saturday according o the weatrher report right now
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:22 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
just got the twist 60

I just got the twist 60 ARF. Man too easy. Everything is done, control surfaces pre hinged. Fuel tank lines and piping already installed!! Any way. I'll be running a super Tigre 90 Ringed in it. Currently has a 13X6 APC prop. I have read that some folks are using a 15 X 6 with this setup in their twist. Also what servos are you all using? Book calls for standards. I am not an extreme 3D flier (Yet). And CG. I have read that 5.5 from TLE, is the way to go at first.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:13 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
and yes My very first FPV flight I took off normally but landed in FPV mode ....... I have no fear at all. which could be bad LOL
Or good to have no fear, huh? I think fear of crashing inhibits some of us more than it probably should. It is a fine line to draw. But having a spotter helps for sure.

Do you use goggles or a monitor? If goggles, what type. Hey David, how bout you on the goggles question. Right now I have a little 10" portable TV, but am still working on getting a clear signal.

I probably need to wait till the club field opens to try it. It is pretty hard to fly out of my field LOS. I say out of because it is a little clearing a the bottom of a valley completely surrounded by trees.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:36 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
I just got the twist 60 ARF. Man too easy. Everything is done, control surfaces pre hinged. Fuel tank lines and piping already installed!! Any way. I'll be running a super Tigre 90 Ringed in it. Currently has a 13X6 APC prop. I have read that some folks are using a 15 X 6 with this setup in their twist. Also what servos are you all using? Book calls for standards. I am not an extreme 3D flier (Yet). And CG. I have read that 5.5 from TLE, is the way to go at first.
Hi, congrats on the tt60. You have a V2 so it is a little different than mine. You can try a 14x4w. That should work if you are currently on a 13x6. Try for the middle to forward half of the CG range in the book. You can ease it to the rear later. Standard servos should be OK. I have 80oz servos on mine (except the throttle of course). I also prefer 6V systems but others like 4.8V. I like the speed and torque from the extra voltage.

Make sure you go over the landing gear plane and the firewall with some epoxy and even some triangle strips would be good.

Use locktite on the nuts on the tail feathers and make sure they are tight and square to the fuse. You should check these periodically to ensure they are still secure.

If you have two piece landing gear, keep an eye on that. I don't like them and I would order the replacement gear for the V1 or consider Graphtech gear. The CF gear is obviously the more expensive route.

I also don't like the tail wheel. Sullivan tail wheels are a nice upgrade and not very expensive.

CA any joints you can reach. There are some Dave Brown CA bulbs you can get that help reach into areas and apply CA just where you need it. The area just behind the canopy needs some additional glue.

Check this link for all things twisted in getting the most of the tt60.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032106

Post pictures and videos. Our Northern members need to live vicariously.

Welcome to the twisted crew.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:27 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,980 Posts
Welcome to the nuthouse Billd76 this is where it all happens Glad you made the jump over here from the tips thread you love it here, you have just entered the world of RC information center, anything about anything can be answered right here but we all love the T_ _ _ T.
I have the 40 size so I won't be any help to you but many here have the 60 size and I'm sure they'll be chiming in.

What Wayne sent you the link for is where all the set up information is and where you originally found us. its a great page of T_ _ _ T information.

Send us pics and vids to this thread, if you can, as we love that stuff welcome to the fun and the best thread on earth. keep us posted.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:48 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,980 Posts
Hey U2 we use a video DVD screen mostly but we also have used the TV in my van we kept getting a rolling TV effect at times with my old TV so were working on that issue, and we tried Goggles a few weeks ago but something happened to the connection just before flight and we lost the signal, but they looked awesome when we had the signal, I don't know any of the brand names he has right now.

Sounds like a great place to try flying FPV for sure as you'll have a front row seat for clearing all the debris around you LOL
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:03 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Hey U2 we use a video DVD screen mostly but we also have used the TV in my van we kept getting a rolling TV effect at times with my old TV so were working on that issue, and we tried Goggles a few weeks ago but something happened to the connection just before flight and we lost the signal, but they looked awesome when we had the signal, I don't know any of the brand names he has right now.

Sounds like a great place to try flying FPV for sure as you'll have a front row seat for clearing all the debris around you LOL
I got a usb TV tuner for my laptop. I have not tried it but that is the initial plan. Cheap.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:37 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,980 Posts
Sounds like a great plan Wayne,
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:47 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like a great plan Wayne,
You going to try to FPV on a twist?

I am thinking major disorientation and sick.

I would like to get the downlink for my FCOIII and the goggles with head tracking.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Hi, congrats on the tt60. You have a V2 so it is a little different than mine. You can try a 14x4w. That should work if you are currently on a 13x6. Try for the middle to forward half of the CG range in the book. You can ease it to the rear later. Standard servos should be OK. I have 80oz servos on mine (except the throttle of course). I also prefer 6V systems but others like 4.8V. I like the speed and torque from the extra voltage.

Make sure you go over the landing gear plane and the firewall with some epoxy and even some triangle strips would be good.

Use locktite on the nuts on the tail feathers and make sure they are tight and square to the fuse. You should check these periodically to ensure they are still secure.

If you have two piece landing gear, keep an eye on that. I don't like them and I would order the replacement gear for the V1 or consider Graphtech gear. The CF gear is obviously the more expensive route.

I also don't like the tail wheel. Sullivan tail wheels are a nice upgrade and not very expensive.

CA any joints you can reach. There are some Dave Brown CA bulbs you can get that help reach into areas and apply CA just where you need it. The area just behind the canopy needs some additional glue.

Check this link for all things twisted in getting the most of the tt60.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032106

Post pictures and videos. Our Northern members need to live vicariously.

Welcome to the twisted crew.
Thanks. I plan on running 6v as well. I'm to replace the stock engine mount with a great planes engine mount. I read here about the down and right thurst needed to be added to the motor mount. So I think the great planes engine mount should be better than the two piece stock mount for that. Also read about applying CA to everything I could reach, will get another CA bulb tonight at the LHS. I think they carry the tailwheel as well. Will look into the landing gear. Will definitely post pics and video when I can.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:33 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,980 Posts
Oh there will be FPV on the twist once i get my own gear, I will have a nice flat screen and a Bucket to throw up in on hand. LOL

Wayne I was talking to my friend about the USB TV thing, I sent him the link you left on this sight. and he had this to say about it. As I asked him if we could do that. he said he didn't think so or at least not without some sort of converter. well here was his reply.

"Well thats just it, it wont work because what that is is a USB TV tuner card. You plug it into your laptop and you plug a antenna into it and it tunes local TV stations so you can watch TV on your laptop. It has no way of tuning in anything else and FPV transmitters are outside of the broadcast TV range.

The only way that he could get that to work would be to get a RCA to RF Converter. Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-CRF907-Com...1143545&sr=8-7

Then the FPV receiver audio and video cable plug into the converter above. The converter above plugs into the USB thing that he has using a regular RF cable and he would be able to tune into it on channel 3 or 4 I believe.

Im not saying Im 100% right on this but if I had to bet a plane on it I would say I am...LOL
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:38 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,980 Posts
Very good Billd76 and make sure you hit the firewall with some good epoxy if you can as My friends T60 firewall pulled right out in flight 3 weeks ago and it was a brand new out of the box bird 5 weeks ago, so within 4 flights that happened. and he's not a 3D nut yet, he was just flying easy and straight ahead when that happened. I believe Horizon is replacing the plane for him but won't replace the motor.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:16 PM
Tree Flyer
Albany NY
Joined Feb 2005
476 Posts
Quote:
I went off the runway doing FPV with my SkyRaider also last weekend I guess it turned left and was in the corn stalks I kept it floored for a little while and poked some holes in the covering and eventually had to shut it down lol my friend asked WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU GOING
Yes here is the end result...LOL

Waldo's FPV Corn flight (3 min 22 sec)
WTurbiasz is offline Find More Posts by WTurbiasz
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:19 PM
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
Thanks. I plan on running 6v as well. I'm to replace the stock engine mount with a great planes engine mount. I read here about the down and right thurst needed to be added to the motor mount. So I think the great planes engine mount should be better than the two piece stock mount for that. Also read about applying CA to everything I could reach, will get another CA bulb tonight at the LHS. I think they carry the tailwheel as well. Will look into the landing gear. Will definitely post pics and video when I can.
YIKES!! should I reinforce it with some silk as well? Was thinking about doing that any way since, I'm dropping the ST 90 in it.