HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:08 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Wingnut: Holy crap! That thing wound up some sort of Lomcevak tighter than I've ever seen. LOL

That and a real knife-edge in a full scale aircraft... They're catching r/c in terms of performance! LOL

Mikeochs: You'd prolly like that Twist a little better with about any other engine on it. That's like yanking the engine out of a Miata and putting it in a BMW M5. It's just not gonna pull like you want.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:34 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Hey gas guys - Try Av gas from your nearest FBO. I use it exclusively in my SPE and the DLE 55, carry it in my car and never smell gas. No corn either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
eliminate the gas smell.... buy 100LL aviation fuel at your local airport... cost a little more runs better, and doesn't smell like gas

guess i should have read more before posting.... NoMatta beat me to the comment
I have to check that out, I've been using the stuff with the ethanol in it. I think the fumes are getting to me, The plane and gas have been in the hatch back for the last few days so I can go to the field on the way home.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Last edited by davecrash; Sep 22, 2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:47 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
eliminate the gas smell.... buy 100LL aviation fuel at your local airport... cost a little more runs better, and doesn't smell like gas

guess i should have read more before posting.... NoMatta beat me to the comment
100 100 LL does smell better, my understanding is it is very hard on these engines, 80Av was better for them. Am I miss informed?
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:14 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
IDK what the difference is between AVGAS and normal automotive gas, but our engines are designed for automotive gas. I'll not be using AVGAS.

Actually, doesn't avgas contain lead? Leaded fuel in an unleaded-designed engine isn't exactly a good thing is it? Someone should elaborate on this one. I know the lead isn't good for the emission controls on our cars, but what about the seals on our r/c engines? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad? I'm sure the octane rating system is completely different. I doubt 80 and 100 avgas could be compared with 83 octane from Shell. lol

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Last edited by rccardude04; Sep 22, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:25 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Last I knew <many moons ago> the Av gas came in 2 flavors, there was 80 octane <red> and 100 100 Low Lead <blue>, which are you burnin Bob? Its a tad more money but there is no corn.

Funny thing about the 100 100, you could put that fuel in a styrofoam coffee cup and it would not make a puddle out of it.
I use the 100 (Premium in their language) and it runs great. Cost about 3.25 a gallon when I bought my last can in the spring. I was going up to 3.60 soon I believe they said, but compared to glow, still not bad, and worth it in my opinion.

RC - I can only say that AV gas has been used by some of the gas flyers at one of the fields I fly at for years with no problems. Most general aviation aircraft engines are air cooled aluminum engines. As for seals, I don't think there are any seals in our engines that are not designed for petroleum products. They are not, however designed for ethanol or methanol. Can't see the problem.
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Last edited by NoMatta; Sep 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added a thought
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:56 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
I use the 100 (Premium in their language) and it runs great. Cost about 3.25 a gallon when I bought my last can in the spring. I was going up to 3.60 soon I believe they said, but compared to glow, still not bad, and worth it in my opinion.

RC - I can only say that AV gas has been used by some of the gas flyers at one of the fields I fly at for years with no problems. Most general aviation aircraft engines are air cooled aluminum engines. As for seals, I don't think there are any seals in our engines that are not designed for petroleum products. They are not, however designed for ethanol or methanol. Can't see the problem.
Typically <hot rod world> if you raise compression to say 9.5 to1, you need to increase octane or it pings <spark knock>. Adversely many full scale aircrafts were labled 80 octane only, some for the 100/100 LL. I was told that these DLE 111CC motors could be distroyed over time for that High Octane, im most cases it burns too hot for the lower compression makes a larger detination area. It would be interesting to understand this better.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:29 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
You can go to the Flying Giants and read discussion (argument) about AVGAS. I understand Marinas may sell unleaded/no ethanol.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:42 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
You can go to the Flying Giants and read discussion (argument) about AVGAS. I understand Marinas may sell unleaded/no ethanol.
Didnt think about that, good call...while it lasts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
100 LL Avgas has quite a bit of lead even though it is called LL. I think that is how they get all that octane. Sure does smell better than Mogas, and evaporates quickly with little residue.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:42 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
NoMatta, Waldo, would you two guys look at this guys wing and make some suggestions. It is a first gen wing of a 1.20 H-9 Edge that had some known issues. They replaced the wings back then but this model has been sitting around NIB since way back then. The plane has been discontinued but it shouldn't be too hare to make this wing stronger. Thanks for any help you can offer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post16117669
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:32 PM
certifiably twisted
Damascus,Ar.
Joined Jan 2010
229 Posts
ethanol eats the rubber seals up thus causing air leaks thus causing a crappy running or not running engine. i had an older weedwacker that had a seal problem from running on the newer ethanol 10% blend. it became a throwaway. too hard to find un-adulterated gas!(no ethanol)lol
3dwingnut is offline Find More Posts by 3dwingnut
Last edited by 3dwingnut; Sep 22, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:36 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dwingnut View Post
ethanol eats the rubber seals up thus causing air leaks thus causing a crappy running or not running engine.
I wish to have NONE of that... I wish to find a plane to stick this 35CC on, I have a house full of airplanes <ask my wife> and nothing is a good fit.... Frustrating
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:51 PM
certifiably twisted
Damascus,Ar.
Joined Jan 2010
229 Posts
i know the feeling DOG. i have planes, and i have engines, none of them go together. really sux!
3dwingnut is offline Find More Posts by 3dwingnut
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:28 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,221 Posts
No time!!!!!!!!!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:07 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
NoMatta, Waldo, would you two guys look at this guys wing and make some suggestions. It is a first gen wing of a 1.20 H-9 Edge that had some known issues. They replaced the wings back then but this model has been sitting around NIB since way back then. The plane has been discontinued but it shouldn't be too hare to make this wing stronger. Thanks for any help you can offer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post16117669
OK Plow, I just wrote him a book. Waldo, you want to check it out and add anything you can.
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta