HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:09 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I upped my timing to high and got rid of most of the squeal but not all. Then I jerked the APC-E Style prop off and went to a wood one and it was GONE. Then I switched to the APC Sport, no Squealing there either. I was supprised how much better things got after the prop change.
Yea, those are my suggestions too. It is most likely timing and prop loading. You can increase the timing and it should improve or go away. You can also look at a softer start if your ESC has that option.

If you put a really small prop on and it is still there, check the motor in case you have something rubbing or bearing issues. You need some kind of prop to get some thrust pulling on the prop shaft in case that is the issue.

Do the timing first, then softer start, then prop is my suggestion.

I ordered the RR Electrostik. The thing squealed like a pig and the Silver Series ESC in it had NO timing or any other adjustments. I put a Turnigy ESC in and got rid of the problem. The ESC that came with it is OK, it is just not good with this motor.
waynemia is online now Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:10 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Plow - The cowl is baffled, I'm confused, got to do a shut down in the middle of the night tonight, but I can bring you Extra over later in the week, like Wed or Friday evening. Got a Buckaroo meeting Thurs night. Patching my Edge now.

Later on.

That's awesome! So I guess it goes off and on without too much trouble now? How were the pieces that I cut out, did they fit okay?

It didn't sound like the Edge was hurt much. Was it better or worse than what you thought?

BTW, I swung by the picnic for ten minutes and crashed my foamy for everyone. The event wouldn't be the same without a crash by me anyway. The flight lasted about 15 seconds! OOPS.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:10 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Oh you boys are a regular riot! That's okay, if you're messing with me then that means you're leaving others alone. Consider it a public service.

Dave, I like that one too, but I also like the MAS 12 x 7 S2. I wish someone else would try it and let me know what they think.
Someone messin' with your Dots plow?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:55 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Yea, those are my suggestions too. It is most likely timing and prop loading. You can increase the timing and it should improve or go away. You can also look at a softer start if your ESC has that option.
I "think" the light weight prop is too light and it allows the motor to "get ahead of its self since their is no weight load <flywheel> to keep it in sync.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:58 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I "think" the light weight prop is too light and it allows the motor to "get ahead of its self since their is no weight load <flywheel> to keep it in sync.
What I understand from what I read was that the strength of the magnets in the outrunners and the weight of the prop keep the motor from being able to start when the timing is slow. The squeal is the motor vibrating trying to start but it can't. Increasing the timing hits the windings faster and has a chance to keep the momentum going so it can oversome the opposing forces.

Might be all completely misunderstood on my part but seems to work so far.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:25 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,616 Posts
Kinda my experience too Wayne 'specially with bigger motors. Sometimes fast acceleration gets ahead of the motor and it squeals like a banshee. My T---t with the 12 - 6.5 on a 4250-700 on 5s did the same thing 'till I changed the timing to high. No problems since. Go a YAK with a 6354-250 with a 19-8 APCe on 10s did the same thing on low or med timing. High timng mostly fixed it. By that, I mean if I slam the throttle on the ground at take off, it complains, but ease into it and it is OK, never squeals once in the air where the prop unloads a bit.

Plow - Fit pretty good. I made a command decision and lowered the baffle a bit. Where the manual shows it, no air is directed over the lower part of the heads.This is where the exhaust is, and is most likely the hottest part of the engine.

Took a piece out of the leading edge of the Edge between two ribs one bay in from the tip. Damage about what I expected. 2 hour repair, if I worked at it, but I just been putting along. Bottom ready to sand, top almost.

And what's this about your dots ????
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:29 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,466 Posts
Quote:
By that, I mean if I slam the throttle on the ground at take off, it complains, but ease into it and it is OK, never squeals once in the air where the prop unloads a bit.
I still had that with the APC E prop, now that I have the APC Sport on it, I can slam the throttle from a dead stop and never a complaint.

It seems the issue happened less with the APC E after the lipo started loosing it's initial brunt force.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:29 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Quote:
And what's this about your dots ????

I have no idea. I guess he was thinking about David and his polka dots?

STAY OUTTA THE HEAT WAYNE!!

BTW, I saw waay at the picnic. He looked well but says he hasn't been flying much. I guess you and I are gonna have to go snatch him from his home and drag him to the field. I know where he lives.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:03 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,616 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I see, and intervention!
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:13 PM
Joined Jul 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Oh you boys are a regular riot! That's okay, if you're messing with me then that means you're leaving others alone. Consider it a public service.

Dave, I like that one too, but I also like the MAS 12 x 7 S2. I wish someone else would try it and let me know what they think.
I'll try it next time I have a tt 40, but I'm going to concentrate on my tt60 for awhile. I need the gear out of the 40 for another project. I hadn't had a "good" crash in awhile so I guess I was due. I was just starting to get the feel of it, so that's a shame, but the 60 will serve me well until I've got room for another. No big deal....
Dave_45 is offline Find More Posts by Dave_45
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:03 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
By that, I mean if I slam the throttle on the ground at take off, it complains, but ease into it and it is OK, never squeals once in the air where the prop unloads a bit.
That is what I mean by soft start. Some ESCs have a setting to ease into it a little.

I thought you had someone messin' with your Dots Plow. It wasn't David as far as I know. Eric, didn't you say - Nevermind.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:24 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,848 Posts
Did I hear something about dots?

Some watts up meters just don't work very well at high amps
some do.

Experience Pro E watt and amp. testing (0 min 23 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=16
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:44 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
I got a call from Horizon today.

They said that all 3 aileron gimbal wires were basically turned to dust. Apparently when I shoe-goo'd it for the fix, it made the wires too stiff somewhere and added extra flex elsewhere, and made it fail.

They are sending me a brand new in box X9503. I'll take pictures when it shows up.

I'm satisfied now.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:00 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
I just read that JR is dropping DSM2 for FHSS in Europe.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:04 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
I just read that JR is dropping DSM2 for FHSS in Europe.

Yeah that happened a few months ago I believe.

I doubt Horizon will switch. Never know *shrug*

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04