HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2010, 02:34 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
Livin' on the ragged edge there Kerwin!! I'd of paid a dollar to see that!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:29 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
We guys it was a twisted weekend.
It all started with one of the members that flys jets was certifing this guys F15.
She roared to life an took off so nice.
An everything was fine until he went to land it.
The right landing gear wouldn't lower.
Everyone was all focused on her as he broght her in for a perfect 2 point landing.
Then it came my turn to fly an all was going well til I did a low flyby inverted, Thats when I felt it. I mean it felt like a bumble bee sting right in my back.
I let out a scream an just for a moment the twist was diving for the ground.
THANK GOD for that OS61. I pushed full down on that elev an pointed that nose straight up.
An that when this huge horse fly landed right on my tit.
I knew right then that twist or no twist he was not going to have my tit for supper.
I pull my left hand off the TX an SMACK he no longer exsited as I said a few choice words.
Every one was laughing by then an it took several moments to locate the twist screaming towards the ground, but I pulled her out an landed
Never a boring moment lmao

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:53 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,409 Posts
The missed video moments, that was a 10,000.00 winner.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:13 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Anyone ever had a Hitec HS5645 or 5625 overshoot when you're moving it quickly? I hooked all my servos for my next project up to the tester, and 2 of them do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAyC...=youtube_gdata

Anyone else ever see this?

-Eric
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:51 PM
hillsboro Oregon
Joined Jul 2009
256 Posts
lol that is some funny sh!!t. Well i maidened the twist today and let me tell ya it was a nerve racking 5 minutes. This thing was way tail heavy and real bitch too fly. I have never had such a handfull in all my experience with planes. I manged to get it down with no damage, the os 40 seemed ok but your right a bigger motor would be nice just for the weight. So after a half hour calming my nerves, i rearranged some stuff and moved the battery up all the way aginst the tank and moved the expo's to 60% from 40 and it was still very sensitive. I manged another landing but god i dont know if I like this thing, I mean dam what do you guys have your throws set at and expos because this is crazy. By the way anyone need a 40 OS that would trade me for something bigger.
mikeochs is offline Find More Posts by mikeochs
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:42 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
My throws are maxed out with Dubro heavy duty arms. I like it like that!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeochs View Post
lol that is some funny sh!!t. Well i maidened the twist today and let me tell ya it was a nerve racking 5 minutes. This thing was way tail heavy and real bitch too fly. I have never had such a handfull in all my experience with planes. I manged to get it down with no damage, the os 40 seemed ok but your right a bigger motor would be nice just for the weight. So after a half hour calming my nerves, i rearranged some stuff and moved the battery up all the way aginst the tank and moved the expo's to 60% from 40 and it was still very sensitive. I manged another landing but god i dont know if I like this thing, I mean dam what do you guys have your throws set at and expos because this is crazy. By the way anyone need a 40 OS that would trade me for something bigger.

What's your CG?

I used to think mine was twitchy until I turned the elevator down to about 20-30% with about 20% expo. It doesn't need much at all on low rates. High rates, get as much as you can!

-Eric
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
Joined Jul 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
My throws are maxed out with Dubro heavy duty arms. I like it like that!
Mine too
Mike, you'll get used to it and trust me, you'll like it. For now take off on low rates switch to high in the air, or when attempting some 3D. BTW, you can work on harriers and stuff with your 40. There's plenty of 3D that doesn't involve hovering. Just get the CG between 4 and 5 inches back, closer to 4 for now and let yourself get to know it. I did find most of the 3D stuff revealed itself to me once I was comfortable moving the cg back. Like wing rock in harriers smoothed out, the plane stopped flopping out of stuff. I only have a few flights on my T__T 40, but started with the cg at 4 and moved it back at the field after the maiden. Now I've moved it back again and removed 2 oz by using a lighter rx pack. Can't wait 'til Saturday
Dave_45 is offline Find More Posts by Dave_45
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Here's a question I posted elsewhere but haven't gotten an answer. I am hoping someone here can take a shot at it:

I ordered some Graphtech CF wheel pants to go with my Graphtech CF gear. How do I mount the wheel pants?There is a plywood plate on the axle side. Once I locate the axle through this plate, how do I fasten the wheel pants? Do I screw through the side of them into the plywood plate? Or do I bond them to the leg of the axle using epoxy? Or do I use a couple of small screws and CA? Or do I do something else? Thanks.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:41 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeochs View Post
I, and others, have been in your shoes. Take a deeeeep breath, relax, then...

Get your CG to the middle to front of the recommended range. Set your low rates as per the manual and load about 40% expo. This should calm it down until you get a handle on it. I really think you have the CG near or past the back of the range. Later, you can inch the CG back and back out the expo if you like. Set the high rates to the manual or more if you can take it. If you have triple rates, like those of us flying Futaba, then you can set the high rates in the manual to the middle position and then max everything on high.

If you did not do so, make sure you balance the plane laterally as well. Proper balancing really pays off on this plane.

Good luck.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:46 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Here's a question I posted elsewhere but haven't gotten an answer. I am hoping someone here can take a shot at it:

I ordered some Graphtech CF wheel pants to go with my Graphtech CF gear. How do I mount the wheel pants?There is a plywood plate on the axle side. Once I locate the axle through this plate, how do I fasten the wheel pants? Do I screw through the side of them into the plywood plate? Or do I bond them to the leg of the axle using epoxy? Or do I use a couple of small screws and CA? Or do I do something else? Thanks.
Pics of the wheel pants might help. You should be able to bolt the pants at the axle. Then drill through the landing gear into the wheel pant. This should take a bolt and I would use a blind nut on the inside of the pant. Locktite of course. The bolt helps secure the pant and provides anti-rotation.

Hope that helps.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:01 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,677 Posts
my 61 just arrived today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_45 View Post
I use the OS 61fx. Seems perfect. Having said that, if you consider buying a new engine don't buy the 61. Outdated and way too heavy for its power by today's 3D standards. Get the 55AX for these 40 sized planes.
Having said THAT,,,,,,, fly your motor and have fun with the plane. When you can afford it, put a more powerful motor on ad step up to 3D.
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
What Wayne said. Get a 10-40 blind nut and bolt, drill through gear and block on wheel pant, put blind nut in block in wheel pant. This is about the only spot on my planes I use red loctite.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
Joined Jul 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
my 61 just arrived today
David,
I think the 61 is great in this application, probably better than the 55. But there aren't that many other 3D planes that favor the 61. So all I was saying is the 55 would serve him better in today's 3D world. I started scratch building profiles because my 61 was too heavy for all the good ones.
Dave_45 is offline Find More Posts by Dave_45
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:33 PM
hillsboro Oregon
Joined Jul 2009
256 Posts
A 61 omg, thats the motor i got in my edge and your stuffin it in the twist lol, id like to see it fly Anyway i dont know , my cg is at 4 3/4 and my battery is all the way forward. i dont really wanna add weight. The real problem i had was landing it . So 20% on low rates for take offs and landing? Another question, why does it dive so suddenly. For example, I would be on a downline say 20-30 percent and it would just barely touch the stick down a bit more and dive harder. This thing is crazy, i dont know if im going to like this
mikeochs is offline Find More Posts by mikeochs