Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:04 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,607 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. When the motor died, it was on compression. I can leave it at idle for s while and take it straight to full with no hesitation, so from what I gather so far the low speed should be fine.

I'm assuming from how cool the motor is running that it is way rich, but didn't want to take any chances. There is smoke coming out, but it isn't visible in the video. It's not just real heavy, but visible behind the plane.
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:11 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,957 Posts
Good luck abaser... I'm guessing it is going to sound a lot better once the HSN is properly tuned and a little four stroking won't hurt it.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:21 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,607 Posts
Thanks. There is a local guy here that I could call, but my experience with him is less than good. He once gave me a couple motors saying they were good motors. One I watched him pull off his model. I take them home and realize there is absolutely no compression on the one he was flying. Did I mention it was only about a month old? After pulling the cylinders off both, I used them for fishing weights. There couldn't have been any lubrication going on at all.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:27 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,607 Posts
Just thought of something. I haven't changed my tank mounting yet. Now there was a ton of sloshing going on, but I noticed no foam. Could this be something you guys were warning me about?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:52 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
It could be the tank. I had tank on a profile did not have foam between the fuselage and tank did run with power it should have fuel looked white in tank when running. Then I added a peace of foam between the tank and fuselage and engine run faster with more power, held tank on with rubber bands and no shaking of fuel tank.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:05 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tower flyer View Post
It could be the tank. I had tank on a profile did not have foam between the fuselage and tank did run with power it should have fuel looked white in tank when running. Then I added a peace of foam between the tank and fuselage and engine run faster with more power, held tank on with rubber bands and no shaking of fuel tank.
Agreed... Foam and Rubber bands is the best IMHO. Everyone I have seen with the foam and zip ties ends up compressing the foam to the point its no good to keep the tank tight. The below foam is sort of "no skid" and your LHS should have it.
http://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-514-Pro.../dp/B0006NATDY

This foam is the best I have found for the tanks
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:12 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Just thought of something. I haven't changed my tank mounting yet. Now there was a ton of sloshing going on, but I noticed no foam. Could this be something you guys were warning me about?
The fuel will jump around in the tank. You did not say what fuel have.

What you really care about is bubbles in the fuel line going to the engine. Watch the line from the tank carefully an look for bubbles. If you don't have bubbles there, you are ok. If there are bubbles, then you need to fix it. Make sure you don't have an air leak in the lines. If they are good, then look at the tank mounting.

BTW - The initial HSN setting on a 40FX is 1 1/2 turns open.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:31 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
happy daylight savings time guys.
Great flight report tower.
good looking car snowy.
Wayne I had a sneaky feeling you could repair that radio yourself.
abaser use the pinch test on both the hs an ls.
The tank height need to be 3/4 of the tank to the spray bar.
I do screw driver width adjustment on the ls and check for transition.
This is a twin needle motor right and not an airbleed?

The rain the rain the rain. But we need it.
it's going to be wet and chilly for today and tomorrow, 40's for another 2 days then the 60's.
O yeah.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:47 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,184 Posts
I went to the Lebanon RC Flea Market, it has redeemed its self this year, had it not improved over the last 2 years, this would have been the last visit.

My intent was NOT TO BUY airplanes, I was actually trying to GIVE away planes and holf built kits I have. I needed a Fuel Dot, got it, a Dubro big prop balancer <$5.00 > and little things.

There was a legends car for 70 I was going to go back for if I didnt spend too much on other things... Then it happened....

Great Planes Rifle, NIB.... Always wanted one, 119ish, 49 for a motor, just never wanted to put the money out for one. This guy had it for a few years, had the correct Ammo motor and the really nice spinner. Wait for it

$65.00 Bun of a Stitch!

He didnt have a 5 for change.... gave it to me for $60.....

I will most likely hurt myself with the fricken thing.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:15 AM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,607 Posts
DOG, congrats on the deal. Hope you enjoy it.

Ok, I'll do the pinch test, and lean out the HS adjustment. I did look for bubbles in the line, but didn't notice any. I wasn't looking extremely close, but will. Tank height on this one is close to right, but the tower trainer is another story. It's a good half inch above the entire tank. I don't see any solution to that either. Once I prime the motor you gotta be quick, or the fuel runs back into the tank. This motor has the big main needle, as well as a smaller needle on the opposite side. The needle is directly on the carb, where my .46 is behind the cylinder with a tube connecting it to the carb (haven't quite figured out how that works yet). So, I'm assuming they're the double needle you speak of.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:31 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Andy the LS is a small screw inside the throttle arm on the .46.Will the same on the .40 if it is not an airbleed carb.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,607 Posts
This is the setup. Am I correct in the labeling?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:07 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,957 Posts
No. The second pic is correct but the first pic is just an idle limiting screw. The LSN is literally inside the throttle arm.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:07 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
O no you have an air bleed. Thats a horse of a different color.
The purpose of the hole in front of the airbleed needle is to keep the engine from going rich at the lower throttle setting.
The more you screw the needle out the leaner it gets.
Now I know lots of people have used the FP and LA motors with good results. Not me
They do not like me.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
No. The second pic is correct but the first pic is just an idle limiting scre. The LSN is literally inside the throttle arm.
Not on that engine Nate