Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:22 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
With the chinese ring it could take up to 5 gallons for break in
I think that is a little much Kerwin. My experience is about 2 gallons and it will be up and mellow.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:35 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,445 Posts
my 55 has little less then a gallon through it and it is very strong, and I am using Synthetic. If this thing continues to break in like this it is going to be giggles of fun.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:39 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,751 Posts
Finally finished the assembly of both models tonight. Got 'em balanced, throws set, and everything else as far as I know. They are ready for fuel and flight......I hope.

Quick question though. In balancing the Tribute, even with the oversized motor, it was taking 1.5 oz. to balance on the recommended CG. I got to thinking about a set of rubber tires I had in the box, so I put them on in place of the foamies, and rebalanced. Now, she balances perfectly on the CG point with absolutely no added lead. Is this a good decision? Or should I go back to the foamies and add the lead?

Now, Ive got three birds calling my name for tomorrow. Just hope the wind is down. Oh yeah, CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR ME!!!
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:53 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Finally finished the assembly of both models tonight. Got 'em balanced, throws set, and everything else as far as I know. They are ready for fuel and flight......I hope.

Quick question though. In balancing the Tribute, even with the oversized motor, it was taking 1.5 oz. to balance on the recommended CG. I got to thinking about a set of rubber tires I had in the box, so I put them on in place of the foamies, and rebalanced. Now, she balances perfectly on the CG point with absolutely no added lead. Is this a good decision? Or should I go back to the foamies and add the lead?

Now, Ive got three birds calling my name for tomorrow. Just hope the wind is down. Oh yeah, CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR ME!!!
I would consider adding spars or reinforcing areas that are known to be weak in tail end

I used really not good wheels once on my cub 60 with 46 ax os motor
It was sloppy in take off
Nice wheels most likely to be important as the landing gear

Twist v2 are disaster
V1 very good

Twist 150 gear heavy but very strong and bend not ever

Beef up the tail I say and make light wheels that are installed well with no slop

One day soon I want to fuel up all planes ,turn them over let them sit over night , then do a twisted party and start them all up , and let them run in harmony
I'll bind and set fail safes to same RC transmitter

It will be david22s orcastra
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:44 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Good luck abaser
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:43 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:

Changing the wheels is fine. Good luck.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:11 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Tell me about flat-spinning your 300 Ron.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:20 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Tell me about flat-spinning your 300 Ron.
I flat spin my plank.... 300SHP.... They do a mean knife edge spin, they do a killer blender, which ends in a flat spin, I dont know that I have seen anyone do just a flat spin.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:46 AM
United States, NJ, Middletown
Joined May 2012
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Good luck abaser
Werd!

Thx to all for the help w xoar
Snowdog as usual great link ;-)
joshgluck is offline Find More Posts by joshgluck
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:26 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
David you'll have to video that glow opera.
Abaser I've got my fingers crossed. Yes the winds are hitting me as well.
Wayne I don't have any experience on the break in time. I was just going by what I heard over at FG and RCU. That was the main reason I put a Frank Bowman ring in my DLE 30.
BTW I've heard that Frank Bowman is getting stressed out from all the orders he's been getting lately and told another guy he thought about getting out.
Now that would be a shame indeed.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:42 AM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,751 Posts
Wouldn't you know it. After 2 days of near calm winds, this morning the wind gods are not on my side. It's at about 12 mph, a little high for my comfort, but I'm trying to find someone to buddy box me. If I do, I'll have to change my RXs out because the trainer switch on my TX is broke. May just take the day to break in my 46 on the trainer.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,435 Posts
12mph too high? Wind is your friend, unless your engine dies......and even then the wind can get you home if you're upwind! Go fly my friend........screw the 12mph breeze!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:50 AM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
12mph too high? Wind is your friend, unless your engine dies......and even then the wind can get you home if you're upwind! Go fly my friend........screw the 12mph breeze!
Shows what I know. I was always told that anything over 10 was a battle. That's one reason my past experience is so limited. Around here, 10-15 is average.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:11 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Shows what I know. I was always told that anything over 10 was a battle. That's one reason my past experience is so limited. Around here, 10-15 is average.
Same here...if I didn't fly in 10-15 mph winds, I would never fly.
You just have to take some care when taxiing in/out.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:17 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
abaser Good luck with maiden.

\It was a good at El Paos . Went to the field about 7:45 this morning because it was forecast to be windy, so it was clam this morning. By the time I got to the field the wind had begin to pick up and sky was partly cloudy. I put my Something Extra together, Then the Big Stik, I guess you can call it a remaiden on the something Extra after the rebuild and the maiden on the stik. Any way I fuel both up and start the Extra ,checked the controls and rolled out for takeoff. Lined up and opened the throttle , take off turn left on clime out add click of right aileron, level out flies straight and level hands off. Flew around pattern and checked out, flies good so I land and get ready for the stik.

I did range check and it worked fine. Primed the engine and turned on ignition, Flipped the prop engine fired and died, pushed in choke and flipped again, fired on first flip. I did a range check again ,every thing worked. I let go of the hold down and taxied out and checked ground handling OK, now takeoff , left the ground in 2'and was climbing straight up gave it a little down,then gave about 4or 5 clicks of down trim. Now flying straight and level. All I can say about it , it flies like a Stik. Flies fast ,slow and rock solid. Landing are like it is on rails, I think it could land hands off. On second flight I turned in for approche and hit the kill switch, dead-stick was a nonevent landed was if on rails. On third flight it was going real good , wind was blowing strong and was turning for approach went engine died , turned into wind, low over pond and down for landing in between the pond and barbed wire fence. I went and got though the fence picked up the plane , Perfect, then i called it a day. Come to find out when I defueled I found I was out of gas, did NOT fuel up after other flight. But it was a good day.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Last edited by tower flyer; Mar 09, 2013 at 04:02 PM.