SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:52 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Local Hobby Shop........what's that?????? Nearest one is over 7 hours away! And here I thought I only had snow and cold to complain about.........you guys have local hobby shops that aren't up to par! I'm glad I'm not you! That'd be unbearable!!!
Yes, not having one for 3 years, we had to drive an hour and half to one that was fairly good. Now I am 15 min from a bottle of CA

Snowy , you are a die hard hobbyist if the nearest is 7 hours
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:04 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I get along pretty well with our HTU. I try hard to support them. nothing worse than having to mail order everything. No they do not have a large selection but can order most of what I need
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:24 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Time is a tough these days for sure, but one thing I do when I have no time is glue 1 piece on every time I walk by my bench, or once on the hour when your home, if your lucky enough to have your washer and dryer on the same floor its a great excuse to do the laundry, as on laundry day you get to glue 4 pieces on every load as you deliver the laundry glue on a piece, come back through glue on a piece, etc... Etc... if you have many kids allot can be accomplished lOl and the wife is very happy too

So get those building boards going I'd love to see pics of more builds going on in this thread, Its also a healthy way to keep you sound and the mind sharp too so you guys HAVE to build for your health at least.

building a plane part a day, keeps the doctor away.
"Waldo Pepper"

Sounds like the late great Bill Winters Purple Plan. When you aren't overly motivated, glue one piece on each day.

Actually, I usually have something out, just reaching the point where just a few minutes doesn't work. A lot of sanding to do, but not my favorite thing to do indoors, so I have decided to start two or three new projects. I'll put up some pics of the first steps in a few days.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:37 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Local hobby shop (Mark's) is about 50 mi. away but that is 20 mi. closer than Hobby Town. I will drive in to get what I need because gas is about the same as shipping ,sometimes less. Hobby Town in Little Rock has more car oriented I think.The store is bigger than Mark's but has less in stock.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:43 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Our local Hobby Town USA is about 2 miles away. They have a decent selection of airframes, but they are mostly focused on the smaller eFlite stuff, in which I have very little interest. But they do have glue, props, building supplies, etc. and they were a handy source of items for our club's annual dinner raffle items...bought over $200 worth of building supplies which were raffled off at our annual club dinner two weeks ago.
I bought an airframe from them which was the cash raffle prize...the airframe cost $250 and we got over $300 in raffle prize ticket income to cover the cost of the item!
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:54 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Snowy , you are a die hard hobbyist if the nearest is 7 hours
I'm a patient hobbiest! I have to wait for package delivery to discover what I forgot!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:31 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I am content with ordering most of my stuff. I usually get free shipping, save sales tax (for now), and I don't have to leave home (I am a hermit I think). I am pretty well stocked so I don't have to go out much.

We have a guy with a shop about 10 miles from me but he does not have much inventory. I have a couple of friends that go with me on a field trip about once or twice a month. We go to the hobby shop, harbor freight, lunch, and lowe's. We throw in any errands anyone needs to make. Takes all day but we share the ride and the guy that drives has lunch on the guys that ride.

The Big Stick flew some more today. The mods are pretty nice. It is a little nose heavy for my liking but it is balanced well for the other guy.

30 mph winds for tomorrow so I get another work-on-the-trailer day. If I get the lights in and the banana jacks, I will be done.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:26 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O snowdog are you going to do a build thread. please say yes.

Well it's going to be windy today and I'm wondering if I'll be able to get any of the boys out.
We'll see.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
I bought an airframe from them which was the cash raffle prize...the airframe cost $250 and we got over $300 in raffle prize ticket income to cover the cost of the item!
Its funny, we have 45ish members in our club and a good part of them will have nothing to do with building planes. They either already have to many flying, have too many projects waiting, or too many people giving away planes already. I cant raffle a plane to save my life.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:21 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,016 Posts
We seem to have lost most of our members we had 19 20 at one point but the corn field scares them all away, Or maybe Its my odor LOL but last year we were down to 3 regulars including myself.

HTU is the closest place to me but they don't carry much for us kit builders all e-flight and cars and the supplies they have are way over priced but i try to support them somewhat, at least they have balsa wood. the next closest shop is across the border about 35 minutes from me, and its always worth going there as he has everything on hand

Cool snowdog post that build

Well the bee is built and already for wrapping I'll send some pics on Tuesday
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:42 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
yeah waldo I hear you, we have the same thing here.
Today the 3 amigos are going to go fly in the wind.
The temp is 50 I think and the wind is 11 mph gusting to 18.
Owell I have a twist.
wish us luck guys and I'll give a full report laters.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
O snowdog are you going to do a build thread. please say yes.

Well it's going to be windy today and I'm wondering if I'll be able to get any of the boys out.
We'll see.
Guys, I didn't win the plane! As president of the club, I was obliged to obtain the raffle prize and help sell tickets. One poor sop in the club (Bill) brought his wife to the dinner and SHE had the winning raffle ticket! Bill moaned after his wife won the plane that "it would have cost me less to go out and buy the plane outright than what it will cost me in 'honey-do list' tasks to earn this plane from my wife". LOL...that's good fun. His wife will have fun with this one, I'm sure. They are a great group of guys and their wives are quite fun and spunky as well.

I'll see if I can get Bill to do a build thread on the Meridian.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Finally! Trailer wiring is done! I installed an exterior plug for 110Vac. That has one outlet inside and I have a charger plugged in going to a deep cycle battery. I installed wiring for 12VDC with four banana jack plates. I wired the roof vent fan. I installed four "corn cobb" 3.5W lights and an on/off switch.

I can now easily charge planes while still in the trailer, even the 50cc. .

I am glad to be done with all that. Now I can put all the stuff in it and be ready to fly.

If I could just decide how to mount the generator.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:03 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O my po po twist. yes she's damaged goods.
You see I got to the field about 2ish. The wind was out of the south blowning 15 mph and gusting to 20.
Dan an Dan showed up with thier wind machines, Tango an ultra stick. Lt dan was the 1st in the air flowed by myself.
Upon starting my twist the engine had quite abit hesitation but i put her up.
It wasn't long before I started flat spinning. Boy the wind was really pushing her in a flat spin.
After that I started doing some touch an goes. Lt dan made the mistake commenting the wind is calming down just as I was throttling up. The wind came up lifting my twist off the ground premature and heading for the pits.
I managed to avoid the pits, but K49 ended up over them..
The other dan tried to get up but had a dead stick on take off.
I landed right after that.
We all shot the bull for awhile then they went back up allowing me to take some pictures.
now for the 2nd flight. I leaned my needle by 3 clicks. While doing this I noticed some fuel seepage from around the head but as the motor warmed up it quit. So I took off.
I buzzed the sky o for about 5 minutes when I started windsoaring. Then after making my turn down wind and throttling up the motor died. There was no glide. She was falling like a rock. just at the last second I managed to raised the nose a tad. But not enough I seen the landing gear come flying off. When we got to the seen to the crash I found the H stab had also suffered damage along with the prop.
K49 and I decided we try an fly her anyhow so I patched the stab back together. But I had no prop. I ran home quickly only to find I had no prop there either so when I got back the boys decided to call it a day.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:48 AM
nothing
Joined Jan 2011
927 Posts
Hey Kerwin50, where is the other photo?
Kerwin49 is online now Find More Posts by Kerwin49